• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

LF criticism and suggestions for my Sampire build/gear

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Seems like a popular topic lately. I'm looking for any criticism/suggestions for my current Sampire build and gear. I have 105 resist on a soulstone that I swap out with Anatomy and two imbued bracelets. One with +15 anat and one with +15 resist for whichever skill I'm running. These are my stats and gear without a weapon equipped.

Gear.jpg

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Could you post weapons, boots, talismans and chest piece cork? I LIKE what I am seeing on the skills.
Not sure about the bracelet with parry. Needs SSI. Same with the RIng, even though it is a SWEET piece.

Your DCI is secondary, and low. Do refinements to 75 phys/fire. 80 energy. (Fortifying will get you there) or if you have the invuls, go whole hog. You won't mind the loss of DCI cap space. Dragon for gloves, plate for tinkers. I found out recently you can get benefit from refining all 6 pieces of gear, jsut wont go over cap.

Upgrade gorget for Mana when you can.

Enhance all pieces with gold/spined.

Change hawkwinds for the Eppualettes

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could you post weapons, boots, talismans and chest piece cork? I LIKE what I am seeing on the skills.
Not sure about the bracelet with parry. Needs SSI. Same with the RIng, even though it is a SWEET piece.

Your DCI is secondary, and low. Do refinements to 75 phys/fire. 80 energy. (Fortifying will get you there) or if you have the invuls, go whole hog. You won't mind the loss of DCI cap space. Dragon for gloves, plate for tinkers. I found out recently you can get benefit from refining all 6 pieces of gear, jsut wont go over cap.

Upgrade gorget for Mana when you can.

Enhance all pieces with gold/spined.

Change hawkwinds for the Eppualettes
Yes I need to finish with refinements. I honestly don't have a clue how all that works. I bought the helm that way already. And I have a full set of Cameo's and I have all my elemental/slayer weapons crafted. I don't run with any shoes. Also why would I need more SSI? I have 188 stam and 20 ssi. I rarely ever drop below 180 even when fighting Rikktor. My weapons for groups are 100% elemental double axes with HML, HSL, Hit Area, Slayer, and either HLL or HLA depending on what I'm fighting. I carry bladed staffs with hit lightning or something on it. My Rikktor bladed staff has hit fatigue and hit HLA with HML/HSL/HLL. I have way too many weapons :)

Oops thought I included the chest piece.

Chest.JPG

Last edited:

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your DCI is secondary, and low.
So I've found two sides to this. It seems half the people tell me to run 20 to 25 dci and others say run 45. But no one has really explained why. I thought running lower dci means I get hit more which lets me parry a lot more often. Pretty much most of the Bushido spells trigger off parry.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
So I've found two sides to this. It seems half the people tell me to run 20 to 25 dci and others say run 45. But no one has really explained why. I thought running lower dci means I get hit more which lets me parry a lot more often. Pretty much most of the Bushido spells trigger off parry.
There will always be a divide on that. AND the SAME ones that tell you to run 45 DCI also tell you to use divine fury, which reduces the DCI anyway.
That inconsistency is what forced me to consider the issue on my own and come to my own conclusions. I run 0 DCI and don't miss it. If I can handle being hit more, I will run divine fury to proc more counterattacks. (Not something I do often on Rikki!). I will also swap to parry mastery and get the extra 10 parry. This counterbalances the increase in potential hits and offsets with leeches. CA goes off around 12 times a minute then, but it is hard to keep up.
In the Rikki run thread I added an explanation of my thinking on on this, with numbers. Basically, the counterattack with 120 parry/bushido almost equals the damage increase from 120 anatomy. But only if you run 0 DCI.

Many are less accepting of the potential damage take increase. That is possibly why we see the 45 DCI. After all, the basic rules of building a sampire are:
1) Hit more
2) Do more damage
3) Leech more
4) Get hit less
5) Take less damage.
If we break these priorities down into our suits and skills, we can create a checklist of how each property of our suits contributes to them. And we can start to see the balancing act required. For example, counterattack lets me hit more and do more damage and leech more. But I get hit more and take more damage. Does the end outcome equal survival or death robe?

One reason I have heard for not using Counterattack to it's fullest, by players I respect, is that the attack can miss. My counter argument is that the second hit (with 45 suit HCI) will miss just as much as the second hit of double hit. I would rather have 2 chances at a full damage AI and it's leeches (attack and counterattack) than 4 chances at half that damage. (double strike and Counter attack with double strike).But, that's just me. We usually agree to disagree and move on. The beauty of UO is there is no RIGHT way, but there are a ton of WRONG ways.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Yes I need to finish with refinements. I honestly don't have a clue how all that works. I bought the helm that way already. And I have a full set of Cameo's and I have all my elemental/slayer weapons crafted. I don't run with any shoes. Also why would I need more SSI? I have 188 stam and 20 ssi. I rarely ever drop below 180 even when fighting Rikktor. My weapons for groups are 100% elemental double axes with HML, HSL, Hit Area, Slayer, and either HLL or HLA depending on what I'm fighting. I carry bladed staffs with hit lightning or something on it. My Rikktor bladed staff has hit fatigue and hit HLA with HML/HSL/HLL. I have way too many weapons :)

Oops thought I included the chest piece.

View attachment 113831
Overall, your samp is very good as is, and very well balanced. Just adding in my 2 cents.

Reasoning for raising SSI: WIth 40 ssi and 180 stamina (on the suit) you can swing a longsword at 1.25, with a double benefit of more damage and being able to chug potions. You can ALSO, at 60 SSI, (20 on wep) use a large battle axe in spawns for a damage upgrade. Or a halberd at 1.5 for truly huge hits and area damage.

Shoes: If you went with Minax sandals, you gain 5% lmc, mr2, and luck. You can then drop the lmc from the ring (and the str 1). (kudos for hitting + 25 on all stats though :thumbsup:). Then you have a 10% ssi slot and 25% EP slot.

Bracelet. I have to say it, as I love that piece, but you could get more out your skills with a 10% ssi / 15 HCI blank and imbue 25% ep and 2 skills, or 3 skills.

Also, shanty's waders for HCI is an option.

Refinments - Armor Refinement – Ultima Online

Chest needs upgrade for mana when you can.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah I've been looking for a neck and chest piece upgrade. Haven't found anything I could afford yet. I'll have to play around a bit to see if I can get 40 ssi without gimping myself. I've been unable to find a clean bracelet with 10 ssi that I could imbue. But I keep looking :)

The 1 str looks funny I know. But I was sitting at 149 str for so long and my OCD compelled me to do it LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Nice build. It looks like you already have a very good setup. Here is some feedback from my personal experiences:
- You should always be using a 2-handed weapon to get the most out of your Parrying. A good sampire does not need to use 1-handed weapon and chug potions. You should be doing enough damage and leaching back enough life to stay alive. If you need a quick boost, cast Confidence or Close Wounds.
- I like that you are running the Plate set. You have good amount of Stamina, but should see if you can squeeze some more SSI into your build for that additional swing speed protection. Best place to do that is probably on your Jewels. Your ring is pretty epic (I'd buy it if you ever decided to sell!), so probably best place to look is your Bracelet.
- My suit is refined to 75 for all resists. Definitely helpful for increased survivability.
- What are you getting out of your Hawkwinds robe here aside from the 2 Mana Regen?
- I run the Bushido mastery because I get more out of the passive +15 mana than the Warrior's Gift passive of the Swordsmanship mastery. The Bushido mastery also give you a boost to your Confidence spell. Consider experimenting with it if you feel you need a bit more mana.

As with any suggestions, the sampire build has alot of variability so that you can adjust it according to your playstyle. Good luck!

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Get a soulstone so you can swap between parry and chiv. If you ever want to solo something without a slayer weakness, you'll need the damage increase from Enemy of One.
Get the 10ssi + 8 stam epaulettes. Aim for 35SSI and 180+stam. You only need 35SSI and 150 stam but the 30stam buffer helps.
Bump up the Hp with either crafted or legendary + HP gear. My sampire is at 150hp and it helps.
After you drop hawkwinds robe, you'll need to make up for the LMC. You can do that via rings/bracelet but I personally would drop either Gloves (keep tinker legs and jumurs) or keep gloves (drop tinker legs and jumu's) for a crafted piece with 8LMC, 5hci or dci, 5hp, 8 mana, 8 stam. Minax sandals also has LMC so that could work as well.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice build. It looks like you already have a very good setup. Here is some feedback from my personal experiences:
- You should always be using a 2-handed weapon to get the most out of your Parrying. A good sampire does not need to use 1-handed weapon and chug potions. You should be doing enough damage and leaching back enough life to stay alive. If you need a quick boost, cast Confidence or Close Wounds.
- I like that you are running the Plate set. You have good amount of Stamina, but should see if you can squeeze some more SSI into your build for that additional swing speed protection. Best place to do that is probably on your Jewels. Your ring is pretty epic (I'd buy it if you ever decided to sell!), so probably best place to look is your Bracelet.
- My suit is refined to 75 for all resists. Definitely helpful for increased survivability.
- What are you getting out of your Hawkwinds robe here aside from the 2 Mana Regen?
- I run the Bushido mastery because I get more out of the passive +15 mana than the Warrior's Gift passive of the Swordsmanship mastery. The Bushido mastery also give you a boost to your Confidence spell. Consider experimenting with it if you feel you need a bit more mana.

As with any suggestions, the sampire build has alot of variability so that you can adjust it according to your playstyle. Good luck!
At this time I do always use a two handed weapon. Everything I've crafted is either double axe or bladed staff. The reason I was using Hawkwinds robe was for the LMC because I'm a little short without it. The mana regen is nice too. I never run out of mana which is why I never thought of using Bushido mastery. And honestly I need the +str/+dci/+dmg buff from Warrior's Gift to cap out everything. I do a lot of Rikktor runs solo which is why I decided to go with a plate set. I have a bladed staff I created with 50 hit fatigue and HLA on it to slow him down.

Last edited:

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bracelet. I have to say it, as I love that piece, but you could get more out your skills with a 10% ssi / 15 HCI blank and imbue 25% ep and 2 skills, or 3 skills.
Unfortunately you can't fit EP and 2 skills on a bracelet with 10 ssi and 15 hci. To fit two skills on it I would also have to drop hci to 10. And I'd only get the 4 properties on it. Too high of imbue intensity on the two skills I'd need.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Get a soulstone so you can swap between parry and chiv. If you ever want to solo something without a slayer weakness, you'll need the damage increase from Enemy of One.
Get the 10ssi + 8 stam epaulettes. Aim for 35SSI and 180+stam. You only need 35SSI and 150 stam but the 30stam buffer helps.
Bump up the Hp with either crafted or legendary + HP gear. My sampire is at 150hp and it helps.
After you drop hawkwinds robe, you'll need to make up for the LMC. You can do that via rings/bracelet but I personally would drop either Gloves (keep tinker legs and jumurs) or keep gloves (drop tinker legs and jumu's) for a crafted piece with 8LMC, 5hci or dci, 5hp, 8 mana, 8 stam. Minax sandals also has LMC so that could work as well.
I'm trying to keep +dmg increase off my weapon which is why I run feudal grips and jumu's. My thought going in to my gear choices were to have as many pieces that I could use powder of fort on or replace without costing a fortune. Hence the imbued bracelet with exactly the mods I needed to cap everything out. I found a clean bracelet with 10ssi and 15hci but I can't fit everything I need on it. I'll be holding off on imbuing it until I find the right pieces to swap out for my other gear first.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Unfortunately you can't fit EP and 2 skills on a bracelet with 10 ssi and 15 hci. To fit two skills on it I would also have to drop hci to 10. And I'd only get the 4 properties on it. Too high of imbue intensity on the two skills I'd need.
I chose to drop parry to 10 on my anatomy set, and "borrowed" the 5 parry from anatomy. That is why I have 70 on this build. I reasoned it was a huge drop in damage output for the gains of HCI and EP. You are correct, you can't get 5 max intensity out of it. That is also why I took the hit to 90 di on the ring, I couldnt fit in the max DI and the skills. The damage decrease is not very significant compared to the gains of the heal potential from pots, to me.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I swapped out my Tinker legs and imbued a 10 ssi bracelet. I also picked up the 10 ssi epaulettes and Minax sandals. Now I have 204 stamina with 30 ssi. My other option is to keep the tinker legs and have 40 ssi with 196 stamina. I think I'm leaning towards that.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
I like that too. GIves you a bit of stam floor even with the longsword. With your gear, you will be hitting AI for over 200 damage with it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At this time I do always use a two handed weapon. Everything I've crafted is either double axe or bladed staff. The reason I was using Hawkwinds robe was for the LMC because I'm a little short without it. The mana regen is nice too. I never run out of mana which is why I never thought of using Bushido mastery. And honestly I need the +str/+dci/+dmg buff from Warrior's Gift to cap out everything. I do a lot of Rikktor runs solo which is why I decided to go with a plate set. I have a bladed staff I created with 50 hit fatigue and HLA on it to slow him down.
If doing alot of Rikky, consider making a Daisho. Specials are Feint and Double Strike. The Feint is going to reduce incoming (and outgoing) damage by 50%, which is huge for reducing the affect of his big stomps. It's an underappreciated weapon.

I swapped out my Tinker legs and imbued a 10 ssi bracelet. I also picked up the 10 ssi epaulettes and Minax sandals. Now I have 204 stamina with 30 ssi. My other option is to keep the tinker legs and have 40 ssi with 196 stamina. I think I'm leaning towards that.
Keep the tinker legs.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I ended up getting rid of the tinker legs and now have a pair of legendary arti legs with a lot more stats. I also replaced my non ssi bracelet with an imbued a 10 ssi bracelet. And I swapped out my hawkwind robe with the 10 ssi lord morphius' epaulettes. Puts me at 135 hits, 90 mana, and 206 stamina with 30 swing speed inc.

Seems like a popular topic lately. I'm looking for any criticism/suggestions for my current Sampire build and gear. I have 105 resist on a soulstone that I swap out with Anatomy and two imbued bracelets. One with +15 anat and one with +15 resist for whichever skill I'm running. These are my stats and gear without a weapon equipped.

View attachment 113826
i believe u can drop the parry if u have 120 bushido.. it actually hurts ur parry % having both after bushido gets so high
and u can use that 120 elsewhere and use pots.. if u prefer 2 handed weapon make it balanced

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i believe u can drop the parry if u have 120 bushido.. it actually hurts ur parry % having both after bushido gets so high
and u can use that 120 elsewhere and use pots.. if u prefer 2 handed weapon make it balanced
How does having 120 Bushido and Parry hurt your parry %? I don't run with a shield.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At 120 parry and 120 bushido, you have a 40% parry chance with a 2 handed weapon. That is highest parry chance possible. With a shield equipped, your party chance is 5% if you also have Bushido. I think that's where Jedi is confused... the penalty only applies if you have a shield.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At 120 parry and 120 bushido, you have a 40% parry chance with a 2 handed weapon. That is highest parry chance possible. With a shield equipped, your party chance is 5% if you also have Bushido. I think that's where Jedi is confused... the penalty only applies if you have a shield.
I figured he was thinking that but I don't know everything so I always ask :)