• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Level 6: AW's...

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...

Now that the AW's have had major skill bumps, and a hitpoint and mana bump, how are you adjusting?...

Me, I asked my guildmates for help in taming a new super dragon, and am planning on using it to kill AW's once it bonds. Fortunately we found one with decent physical resist and max fire very quickly, I think it'll do fine once it's trained up a bit...

What are you doing to adjust? I found it a pain to get rid of AW's using summons and other spells, but I didn't have a reptile/dragon slaying spellbook, and my t-hunter doesn't do melee...

G

Hi,
I do lvl 6 t-maps solo, I use a provo mage.Ill let u know how i get on next time i do one that spwans AW's.

T

tabbythunter

With the new pub. they made the Ancient wyrms even stronger making it almost impossible to do Level 6 Treasure maps solo. I just did a level 6 on Temple Island the chest spawned 3 Anc. Wyrms and a Balron. I used to be able to Provoke the Wyrms with 120 music, 120 provo and a Dragon Slayer instrument and succeed most of the time. Well, they must of also raised the bard difficulty on the Wyrms too, because I don't know how many times I tried to provoke them I failed everytime and died most of the time. I had all 70 resists and I was still getting hit at 106 to 110 damage, my character only has 112 cap so one hit and I'm pretty well done. The way I finally did the level 6 was to lure the Wyrms over to the Temple and yell "GUARDS". What a waste! but that was the only way I could do the map. I guess now when I do level 6's and an Ancient Wyrm spawns I'll have to run it off and leave it in the woods, hopefully some poor sap doing a level 1 doesnt warp in next to the Wyrm. But what can you do? I tried Energy vortex after Energy vortex and they do absolutely nothing to the Wyrms now. It used to be you could kill one in about 8 to 12 Energy vortex's, now 8 to 12 and their energy meter hasn't even moved. All I have to say is good luck to anybody trying to solo Level 6's now.

G

I still think my tamer treasure hunter can solo them.....I will have to give it a try...maybe with a new super dragon!

I

imported_Prendergast

With 110 Vet and alot of GH's, a Hiryu can still take on an AW. Takes a while though...

G

GragusMortal

I run a peace/provoker and can still do fairly well with AW's until there is only 1 left. Then it becomes the task of lead it far enough off and loot chest for another one to pop. I die several times now instead of as before when I could easily complete a 6.
Someone please test the Super Dragon on these things as Peace is basically useless now and I need something to take care of the last creature in the spawn hehe.

E

Edgemon

<blockquote><hr>

With the new pub. they made the Ancient wyrms even stronger making it almost impossible to do Level 6 Treasure maps solo... ...I tried Energy vortex after Energy vortex and they do absolutely nothing to the Wyrms now. It used to be you could kill one in about 8 to 12 Energy vortex's, now 8 to 12 and their energy meter hasn't even moved. All I have to say is good luck to anybody trying to solo Level 6's now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having to adapt and adjust to changes is part of the game, but as you said, Tabby, it's near impossible without having to retool just to handle these AWs. I don't even think 120 Discord on a Bard/Mage/T-hunter would do anything to the now-buffed AWs.

G

Hi,
somehow missed the fact that AWs were made so much stronger. Found out the hard way today.

I usually soloed lvl 6 with my cu sidhe. Well trained and good vetting was usually enough to beat AWs one by one.
The only (very cowardly) way I manage now is to have the dog attack (does about 14 points of damage + a little from bleed attack) and recall out once his health drops to low. recall back to a close spot, precast invis, run back to wyrm, dismount and have the dog attack again. I need to do this about 4 times per AW. Once the AW´s health is very low I have to cast flame strikes or ebolts to help cause the dog won´t do enough damage and the AW heals more than the dog does alone.

I wish I could think of a better way (takes ages if you have more than one in chest spawn).

Robinson of Europa

F

Faldor

Good Day fellow ditch diggers, Imagine my surprise when my cid and I opened the first level 6 with new ancients,, ahh yes, I'm sure you can see the surprised look on my face as ancient devoured my precious pup,, and the quickly feasted on my bones. Well as a long time treasure hunter, I was not going to take this laying down,, so after I got a rez, it was off to the keep, and with the help of a couple of ales. I had figured out a new plan. Next chest I lured them to far sides of the island and got back to looting chests,,,,, BUT it got my death robes in a bunch, to leave all that gold walking around in their hides,, so new plan was used. I got myself a super dragon,, Tamer/ t-hunter char. and trained it on sphynx till over 100 in most abilities. I got a friend to bring another dragon with us,, and headed off to a level 6 chest. The 2 dragons made quick work of all the ancients that appeared, so I was encouraged by this to try another solo attempt with dragon. This is how I do it. I place dragon in spot far enough away to keep it from targeting anything at spawn area. I go in,, magic reflect, start diggin, and get invis ready. As soon as spawn hits, I invis self,, then use GM running skill back to Dragon. rarely am I targeted,, then it is lure 1 at time to my precious friend. with good vet,, it is not too bad to take down ancients. just be ready to re-target pet, when ancient tele's. So my masochistic friends,, soloing 6's is back in business. Now if we can only get the powers that be to give us some decent stuff in chest, T-hunting will again be the profession to die for,,,LOL See you in the woods, Faldor

E

eric13

Well i used to solo level 6 tmaps pretty easily with my mage-provo thunter. It was fun, a challenge and had pretty good rewards; not so much the arties but an occasional ring or weapon that was nice. Now i am almost afraid of looting the dang chest!!! These new ancients are unreal. I tried like 15 times in a row with 120 music 120 provo and zero success. Eventually i can get them to fight but that still leaves one
, and my evs do absolutly nothing to it. In fact since it is fighting my ev it starts to heal itself....yikes!! So basically what I have been doing is leading them off and then grabbing loot, and then coming back on my necro-bushi-archer to finish them off. It's still not easy, I feel like i deserve a prize everytime i kill one! They fireball me and it hits for @80 or so and combo that with a paralyze and a direct blow ooOOooOOOo..well, best of luck guys. I was also thinking that tmaps loot should seriously be increased if they expect us to keep fighting these things..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They need to have a weaker Ancient Wyrm for the T-maps, like the weaker Dread Spider for the maps that spawn them.

Note: When they buffed the Dreads last year, they had no clue that they had missed the map Dreads in the buff (until I pointed it out at Columbus, in the "OMG! what have you done to Dreads?" discussion at the town hall). later, they debuffed the regular dreads some, but again it didn't effect the map ones. I wonder how come the AWs were affected?

Remember what those buffed Dreads were like, when we didn't have to deal with them on maps - we ran into a paragon at the Valor Ilshenar spawn that had higher HP and stats than MEPHITIS!

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

With the new pub. they made the Ancient wyrms even stronger making it almost impossible to do Level 6 Treasure maps solo. I just did a level 6 on Temple Island the chest spawned 3 Anc. Wyrms and a Balron. I used to be able to Provoke the Wyrms with 120 music, 120 provo and a Dragon Slayer instrument and succeed most of the time. Well, they must of also raised the bard difficulty on the Wyrms too, because I don't know how many times I tried to provoke them I failed everytime and died most of the time. I had all 70 resists and I was still getting hit at 106 to 110 damage, my character only has 112 cap so one hit and I'm pretty well done. The way I finally did the level 6 was to lure the Wyrms over to the Temple and yell "GUARDS". What a waste! but that was the only way I could do the map. I guess now when I do level 6's and an Ancient Wyrm spawns I'll have to run it off and leave it in the woods, hopefully some poor sap doing a level 1 doesnt warp in next to the Wyrm. But what can you do? I tried Energy vortex after Energy vortex and they do absolutely nothing to the Wyrms now. It used to be you could kill one in about 8 to 12 Energy vortex's, now 8 to 12 and their energy meter hasn't even moved. All I have to say is good luck to anybody trying to solo Level 6's now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just makes the tamer/t-hunter template look much more appealing. Trained greater dragons should have no real issues with AWs.

Using items, you can get to 110 taming with 75 base taming. Then you would just fit in lore, vet, and magery.

Of course you would also need to get lockpicking and cartography on the template.

It would look something like (as base skills):

100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography
110 Taming (75 real)
110 Lore (105 real)
110 Vet
110 Magery

Using a lure method you should easily be able to single kill AWs with a greater dragon.

I

imported_Teal

Not so well. I love my bard mage t-hunter, and soloing the level 6s was "my time" in the game. Yes, I can get allies to help with the now buffed AWs, but their excitement in the hunt soon wears off once they realize the quality of the loot...and I hate begging! It seems tamer/t-hunter would work. I'm not at all enthusiast about the idea. "Sighs" for a lost love. I'm already working on a chiv archer to replace my legendary bard for various high level hunts. But, alas, it has always been the music that moved me...

A

AshOfCaine

Alas, I too fell prey to the feeling of 'what in the world?' when i unknowingly dusted off my bard/t-hunter to go dig up some lvl 6 maps. First one I dig up I get greated by 2 AW's and 2 Poison Elementals. before I would have been delighted, quickly provoke a poison each on to one AW to kill them off quickly, then provoke the 2 AW's and enjoy the fruits of my efforts.

Failed attempt, run, failed attempt, run, failed attempt and then the world is gray. Fine I thought, one on one it is, always had better success at keeping one peaced and casting EV's. But after I couldn't peace it a single time I began suspecting something was up. Since I was on an island with no healer, had to get my tamer to rez myself, then had enough of strumming the music and brought them one on one for my tamer to take out with a greater dragon.

This may very well be the end of my lvl 6 solo career. I just don't feel like raising taming on the account with my cart/picking, nor do I feel like raising cart/picking on the account with my tamer.

For now, my t-hunting will be done in groups with some tamers to take out the AW.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

Soulstones

[/ QUOTE ]

Ash has two accounts and his tamer isn't on his treasure hunters account.

I personally understand that the loot could be totally and utterly buffed. It really should be. Having a chance at all marties including ML would be nice. However, until they make uber jewelry craftable you still get a very good chance at some very nice jewelry from the chest, and if you wear a luck suit you have a decent chance at some good items from the spawn. Also, if you sell the gems, keep the regs, sell the scrolls, and salvage the items that are worth salvaging then you can argue that you make anywhere up to 50k for a level 6 chest and you can do one in about 20-30 minutes. That 50k figure is if you don't get a single decent item and doesn't even include the martie. So, while they could use an upgrade, they are still easily worth doing.

G

That's a shame both characters aren't on the same acct. It would make everything so much easier for you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That's a shame both characters aren't on the same acct. It would make everything so much easier for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If dedicated you can gm lp and cart in a little over a weekend...fairly easily...you just have to sit there and do it for 2-3 days straight!

Duncan it is great to see the SCB are still doing maps.....I use to dig for them regularly....I have alot of great memories digging for them. I even wrote a short story about one of those hunts!

TW

G

We have a good group that really likes to do the maps. Too bad the loot is so weak it doesn't draw the attention of more players. In the old days opening a chest was exciting now it is more ho hum than anything else. As a skill we really need some attention to the chest contents especially now that we have that AW upgrade.

I

imported_Teal

Ty to Timberwolf for the soulstone idea. I switched cart then lp from my elder to my legendary bard, enabling her to keep provo as well as peace. Very sweet! I'll have to overhaul the first char somehow, but it has effectively freed up my 6th slot in the process.
Have to say the AWs are still too tough. My char was able to live thru a few test digs, but I left several AWs either along the outskirts of the isles or else waterwalking out of reach of the EVs. No more soloing until they change things.(hopefully) But, on the upside, it feels good having put my legendary bard to better use for my particular playstyle. I'm hoping they do make t-hunt AWs an exception to the buff-baring some loot upgrade that makes Lvl 6 group hunts more enticing. Either would be appreciated.

G

<blockquote><hr>

We have a good group that really likes to do the maps. Too bad the loot is so weak it doesn't draw the attention of more players. In the old days opening a chest was exciting now it is more ho hum than anything else. As a skill we really need some attention to the chest contents especially now that we have that AW upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next time Bare, Ella, et al go out for a dig...tell them to let me know...if I am home for the evening Imight have to join them just for the laughs!!

TW

G

TW told me about using SS when I first came back to UO. Before that I had never used one. It sure works great and makes a template pretty variable.

G

Absolutely! I meant to mention that to you in my last post but forgot to add it. Generally we do them Friday nights about 8pm EDT. I hope that time frame doesn't cramp your schedule? Your welcome to join us at any time we go on a hunt.

I

imported_feath

As with all you guys, I used to solo lvl 6 - I'm a pure mage, too. Took me a while to kill an AW, but i could!
now? no way. Can't kill them. Can't even hurt them.
What i do now is lure them away, and continue the chest with them off the picture. I'm losing good loot, but i'm living too. Sometimes.
of course, now, I never get less than 2 AW's at start spawn, and usually 1 or 2 more during the looting. Used to be i'd get 1 at start and maybe 1 during the loot.
T-chests are 'my time', the loot isn't good enough to split between 2 or more players. If i want to gang up on monsters, I'd do a champ or DL.

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi , I still solo level 6 chests! my T hunter has 120 peace,provoke and music! I agree even with those skills i seldom provoke AW s, i fail 90% time! I lure them away, and recall back to chest! when ive finished i log in with my tamer , then my superdragon kills em, sometimes still tough, so if tamer peaces it (also 120 ) i throw a load of e-bolts at it , normally works, providing its health is low ! GL regards Tanis.

L

Lord Drakelord

I know I am replying to an old lost post from the other forum, but I been able to do level 6s with the greater dragon with little problems.

What I do is invis myself just as the chest pops, the chest guardians then target the GD, when all are on it, I hit a pre-marked rune for a location about 2 screens away taking the GD with me, there I heal it and then walk slowly back down to the chest location.

By this time, the guardians are a train towards where the DG is, and the AW is the slowest amoung them so I am able to kill off the spawn well before AW gets there. If two AWs spawn then its a matter of luring one off and killing it then returning for the other.

Now if the map is for a VERY VERY small island I get some help there since there is no way to break up the spawn.

B

Bennos Morales

Frankly I don't do 6's, though I want to. I have taming/lore 110 plus but does little when needing to heal where my drawback is....

Personally, dealing with Siege Perilous I would much rather pursue the avenue of being hired to dig up the chests and unlock them as to solo'ing them. Or I may just hire someone be it player or npc to guard me. Not many protectors on Siege.

*scribbles on a blank map reaching for a mug of ale*

JasmineSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still solo 6's on Siege Perilous with my hiryu. There's no substitute for 120 vet skill. I don't use enhanced bandages, but it may be worth a try if you're having trouble keeping up.

You tamers out there need to be willing to stand in and fight alongside your pets. At 100% fire damage the swords of prosperity are useless. I carry a dragon slayer mage wep pickaxe. I wish I had one with cold damage, but not so far.

I don't have any answers for the bards out there besides train hiding and keep trying.

P

Piehunter

I still solo 6's on Siege Perilous with my hiryu. There's no substitute for 120 vet skill. I don't use enhanced bandages, but it may be worth a try if you're having trouble keeping up.

You tamers out there need to be willing to stand in and fight alongside your pets. At 100% fire damage the swords of prosperity are useless. I carry a dragon slayer mage wep pickaxe. I wish I had one with cold damage, but not so far.

I don't have any answers for the bards out there besides train hiding and keep trying.
I don't know where this difficulty is coming from.

I have a Legendary bard that still does them solo. IDK, What does give me difficulty is the ****ty loot in the chests.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still solo 6's. The AW's are a pain now, even more so since so many people have opted not to kill their own spawn, leaving it to kill anyone who happens by. Just had to change my stratagy. Mage/discord with slayer book and on the aw's I use earth ele's rather then ev's. Still have to pull them away from the other main spawn, and still takes a little bit, but it's doable.
Now my biggest annoyance are all the aw's left roaming from other t-hunters who wont/cant kill their own spawn.