• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets talk about Boons in Guild Wars 2

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to discuss more about boons. Most GW2 players have some knowledge about. We at Guild Wars 2 Stratics want to delve a little deeper into the topic.

From the Guild Wars 2 Wiki

Boons are a set of effects that are the positive counterpart to conditions. They will replace the enchantments from the original Guild Wars[1], and are designed to simplify the buff system. The duration of boons can be stacked, but their effectiveness does not stack.[2][3] For example, if a 10 second regeneration buff was placed on an ally with 5 seconds of regeneration still remaining, that ally would not gain extra regeneration but the buff would have 15 seconds remaining.

Now as a player you would want to have boons on you. There are 7 boons total. Like the above exampe in the wiki quote. If you had 2 players casting the regeneration boom it does not stack or double the regeneration, it just adds time to the spell. So if mutiple players are casting the same boon in any profession, they are not wastiing their time since it adds to the duration of the spell on others. All boons just stack on top of the other boon.

Now the 7 boons are (from gw2 wiki)

Now the Aegis is only exclusive to guardians as pictured above. Each boon can be triggered by spells of a particular profession.

Let me use another example from the guild wars 2 wiki. I chose the Protection Boon.

Skills that grant protection
By profession

Guardian
Engineer
Elementalist
Now the above is just a few listed over all on what you can do with that boon. So a player choices wont go to waste and may extend gameplay in a huge battle since boons will stack but only for duration. With different professions using different boons and only able to stack that effects duration only makes the boon system pretty balanced.

Boons can be removed so even with stacking them does not protect the player from these 2 spells

Corrupt Boon
Feast of Corruption

So in PvP and PvE the boon system will play a huge part of the new system.

B

Bella

Very nicely done! I didn't know about boons so I find your GW1 knowledge a wealth of information!!

Bella