• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let us change the world!

hijii

Visitor
Simple: let ANYONE lock down and release new items and decorations in the game world.

If I want to live in T2a, I can lock down a chest in a secret spot and use it for storage, if I want a picnic area outside my house I can do it, if I want to decorate cove I can do that too.

Griefing would be controlled because anyone could also release items.

The vision: shards that ARE different. Player created and decorated areas.... or even better: disable item decay.

Surely computing power is sufficient to enable this now. I can understand 1000000 items overloading servers in 1996, but now?

This would make uo fun again for me. Thoughts?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Terrible idea, some people would just go around and pick or place for no other purpose than trolling people. If you wish to have things placed around your home you can contact your EM and ask them politely, its possible they will do it :)

hijii

Visitor
Terrible idea, some people would just go around and pick or place for no other purpose than trolling people. If you wish to have things placed around your home you can contact your EM and ask them politely, its possible they will do it :)
Terrible idea? Being able to actually affect the environment? If you want to place a server birth rare on the ground in front of your house go ahead, but you're right, someone would pick it up. As for placing a few stone tables and chairs, or some flowers, we'll, griefers will be griefers.

It would allow my character to live in delucia for one,. Or anywhere - find your own place in the world and improve it anyway you want.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would allow my character to live in delucia for one,. Or anywhere - find your own place in the world and improve it anyway you want.
...but it wouldn't really. If anyone could unlock your stuff, you couldn't actually store anything, and the likelihood that someone would come, unlock it all and trash it, just because, is exceptionally high. I'd love some way to spread customization outside of housing plots, but just treating the world like its a house everyone co-owns just wouldn't work.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple: let ANYONE lock down and release new items and decorations in the game world.

If I want to live in T2a, I can lock down a chest in a secret spot and use it for storage, if I want a picnic area outside my house I can do it, if I want to decorate cove I can do that too.

Griefing would be controlled because anyone could also release items.

The vision: shards that ARE different. Player created and decorated areas.... or even better: disable item decay.

Surely computing power is sufficient to enable this now. I can understand 1000000 items overloading servers in 1996, but now?

This would make uo fun again for me. Thoughts?

In the very long list of bad ideas involving UO this one would make the top 100 if not 50 :)

Enziet

Journeyman
Too each their own. I hate this idea. Yeah it would make alot of dungeons look refreshed, but it wouldn't last long until someone comes in and messes everything up again. If you want world control just go back to Minecraft.

hijii

Visitor
I respect your opinions, but i have to admit i dont understand it!! Why would it bother you if people could place items in the world? If someone places something you dont like just remove it?
I don't see where the hate is coming from. All MMOS have this static worldmap that players cant really change, put something down it automatically dissapears. Am i the only one who is bugged by this?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respect your opinions, but i have to admit i dont understand it!! Why would it bother you if people could place items in the world? If someone places something you dont like just remove it?
I don't see where the hate is coming from. All MMOS have this static worldmap that players cant really change, put something down it automatically dissapears. Am i the only one who is bugged by this?
I will be the first to admit, I would abuse this severely. Just off the top of my head I can think of about a dozen ways.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I gotta agree with Aran on this one. First thing I thought of is ... "Ohhh! A locked down chest! Wonder what's in here?" <smashes it with axe>

Nope. This is one where I would have to be an arse "just because".

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Perfect and easy example with PVP, you get boxed in and cannot run away......and thats without mentioning what pvmers would say if that happened to them....
Way too much room to hurt people! I can see lots of people kicking off at it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No hate, it just wouldn't work the way you seem to think it would is all, so not worth it.