• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Legacy pets: Talking Dragon?

• Thread starter imported_Leto
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Leto

A couple of weeks ago there was a post on this forum mentioning an old (pre-patch) dragon. Supposedly these old beasts had a backpack in which you could place items, using a communications crystal the dragon would appear to talk.

Now, the trick with using communications crystals to make animals or objects talk is something I used quite a few times in the events we organised. However, this trick is pretty limited in it's uses since you have to 'feed' the creature a comms crystal, which isn't possible in many cases.
I found the only way to 'feed' items to creatures these days is by having them kill you and loot the item off you (*Rummages through the corpse and takes an item*). Only a hand full of creatures loot items at all though and far as I know, none of them are among the tamables.

I've always wanted to own a tame, talking pet and the mythical dragon would probably be the most suitable character for events.
So, does anybody have any information about this? Is this just a rumour or do these legacy pets actually exist? And ofcourse, if anybody happens to have such a creature: Can I buy it?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can also do it with Pack Horses, pack llama, & blue beatles.

Alot of time I`d see them around luna or brit bank. & PPl would label them stereo ^^

J

jamesb3002

Yes they exist. I know one guy on Baja that has a talking dragon, he brings it out at Luna once in awhile to entertain the people doing business at the bank.

Do not think that you can get them anymore, it has to be a prepatch dragon.

G

i think dragons will loot you still i know i had a white wyrm loot me might have to release it to get it to loot you though then retame or maybe try it in fel with a friend

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
wow would that be a lot of work.

get a crystal.
empty your pack.
die to the dragon, hope it loots.

then come back and tame it.
bond it.
and dont ever let it die.

but ya that would a neat party trick!!!!

G

pre-patch? Which patch exactly? I have a dragon from 2001 that doesn't have a backpack. It's died a few times so maybe it lost it...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I do believe this comes from back in the day when you could command pets to "Fetch" objects. You'd have it fetch a Com Crystal then use the one paired to it to give the appearance of the creature talking.

I

imported_Leto

A fetch command? I never heard of that one before. The way I understand the talking dragons is supposedly they have a backpack, much like a packy, in which you can place or remove items.

A

Ancksunamun

Well if you go back to pre lost lands dragons an drakes used to obey a drop command . That was used for cases where they would kill an loot items on their own without being commanded an you could have them drop loot they collected . As far as them having a pack you can open like a packy or others i have never seen that . They would as already said fetch items . So other then the fetch command or seeding a mob an then letting a dragon or drake loose on it to kill an loot that would be the only ways i can think of .

I

imported_Leto

All pets still obey the 'drop' command. I've never seen a tame pet loot a corpse though. In fact, I did a little testing on the subject about 2 years ago. Sadly I didn't keep notes but if I remember correctly only Humanoids (including liches as they were once human) loot.
None of those are tamable but they are 'charmable' (dryad allure, spellweaving). I used the trick of 'feeding' (or seeding as you call it) an ettin a communications crystal by having it kill a (bonded) pack llama. Then wait till the ettin loots the crystal off the llama's corpse and charm the ettin.
I used this for a quest and the effect is pretty nice; a talking ettin that follows you around. But in this case the trick has pretty much become obsolete since polymorph lasts forever now.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I tested for this but I'm quite sure Dragons (or any other tamable for that matter) don't loot.

G

Animals were able to fetch in the original game. Then someone figured out that they could tame a bird or other flying creature and use it to loot boats (which many players kept their stuff in because they couldn't place houses) and, I think, the porches of patio-style houses. Viola, the sploiters ruined it for everyone and pets were no longer able to fetch.

That talking dragon must be at least seven years old. Truly a venerable old wyrm.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you have to speak for the com crystal to work. So hence the pet is only repeating what you say. Thats not really a talking pet.