• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Latest on castle redesign

Lucivius

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where can I go to find the latest information on new castle designs that were under development? I want to start decorating my new castle, but not if there are new designs on the way in coming months.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think they said they were still working on a new tool for it for the test shard, what that actually means is they hope we all forget about it. I was so excited about the new castle designs, I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the Account Management upgrade. With EJ coming soon and the High Seas revamp, I would assume it won't be next year. Why do they keep announcing things that they can't do?? Makes no sense to promise things you can't actually produce... :(

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Id have a blast if they ever gave us the tools to design a castle.

I know some would make bog cubes but others like myself could be creative!
Well you still have a borg cube, it's just a very nice borg cube lol. What I did was raise all the existing walls except the front which I really liked. Then I decided I wanted a training area so I built that. Then I decided to build another area to the east of that to balance it out and threw a pond in it for lack of a better idea at the moment. So now I hate it lol. So I'll either lose the training area and the pond or start thinking about a total redo of the top floor lol. I don't really want to add another floor like you did but it's very nice as a "blank slate" and you can do what you want with out dealing with the existing castle stuff (mostly). You really can't do that without going up a whole new floor. But if I did that I couldn't put a roof on it and that would bother me unless I just made a giant outdoor area. What I really hate is the corner situation. I see what you did there ;) I'm gonna think on it and do something, just haven't decided what yet. I'll probably lose the training area and pond.

castle.jpg

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes It is.. but isnt a borg cube.... Due to the restrictions on how high we can build this castle isnt as custom as the others I own. I currently have 3 castles and am working on getting a 4th and 5th in the area to have fun with! One of my other castles I managed to work a 4th floor on because I could for some reason go 1 tile higher.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
To me this illustrates the problem with Broadswords castle/keep/tower idea. Well I guess they aren't even addressing keeps and mage towers..... Everyone likes something different. They're gonna spend a ton of time setting up a way to pick 3 custom castles. The only people that are going to like the 3 custom castles are the 3 people who built them lol. Everyone has completely different ideas on what they need and want. It's going to turn out to be a massive waste of time. Give me the corner pieces and wall gap pieces I need and I'm happy.

If they're not going to do the smart and easy thing and just give us the custom plot (custom plot for castles, keeps and towers) then it's going to be a massive waste of a lot of their time. I assume they'll make 3 people really happy which I don't think is the goal. With the new stone additions I haven't yet seen 2 that look alike. Even resemble each other really. We all want stuff a little different. I've for the most part already given up on BS doing this right so I'm going ahead and experimenting with what I want in the current rule set. I walked around Legends last night just looking at castles for ideas. Maybe 3 had actually done any stone work. Probably like 2/3 of the castles aren't even really decorated except for chests and things like enhanced bandage fountains.

Just give us the custom plot and forget about it. Anything else is just a dumb idea. It's really not something Broadsword should waste time on. If we do see Broadsword's current goofy idea I'm sure it'll easily be over a year or longer. So "their" hair brain idea is to build a custom 32 x 32 plot. Have 3 people make their dream home that no one else will like.Then not use the custom 32 x 32 plot they developed leaving mostly everyone annoyed and still calling for a custom plot lol. It's just so stupid it makes my head hurt lol.

Because Mesanna was scared by a castle as a small child is no reason to take away the individuality, creativity and uniqueness of a large segment of the player base that is granted every other home owner in the game. Mesanna is the only person not on board with this. They've taken what is by most the dream of having the greatest thing in the game, many strive for countless years to get and made it second class. Castle ownership. Mesanna doesn't like borg cubes? Bad news they're already here, and with the current idea moving forward borg cube is the only realistic option. We are forced to expand on the current borg cube base with no other viable alternatives. I already spent a ton of my time designing a castle and submitting it to have Mesanna toss it in the trash so I'm done with that. I'm no longer involved with this silliness and clearly doomed attempt they are working on. Well are supposed to work on someday anyway. I highly suggest no one get their hopes up with some possible future 3 castle prefabs. They're just shutting us up for now which I think is the only goal in this entire fiasco. Okay... I'm done ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yes It is.. but isnt a borg cube.... Due to the restrictions on how high we can build this castle isnt as custom as the others I own. I currently have 3 castles and am working on getting a 4th and 5th in the area to have fun with! One of my other castles I managed to work a 4th floor on because I could for some reason go 1 tile higher.
It's a giant square cube. It *is* a borg cube lol. It's very nice and all that but if your outside looking at it, it's a giant cube. That's what a "borg cube" is lol It's what we're pretty much forced into dealing with the giant cube base. A couple windows or arches doesn't mean it still isn't basically a giant cube lol

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To me this illustrates the problem with Broadswords castle/keep/tower idea. Well I guess they aren't even addressing keeps and mage towers..... Everyone likes something different. They're gonna spend a ton of time setting up a way to pick 3 custom castles. The only people that are going to like the 3 custom castles are the 3 people who built them lol. Everyone has completely different ideas on what they need and want. It's going to turn out to be a massive waste of time. Give me the corner pieces and wall gap pieces I need and I'm happy.
Well, that's how they do it a lot, it seems - spend a ton of effort on something that people do not want time and time again.

I was excited over the castle revamp. I have a castle for storage, but I miss my 18x18 so much simply because I could design it the way I wanted. So I was excited until I learned that we'll just get a couple of predesigned options. Because Mesanna might not like some design choices that people make. In a sandbox game.Yep, makes sense.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to have a fully custom castle even if they only allowed 2 levels!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As i've said in other threads and pointed out to the Devs, it was an idea splurted out before the brain engaged.....like normal.
Once you start thinking about placement issues and blocking objects in most castles at different positions, you realise the only way this would "ever" work is if you re-drew the house placement rules from scratch up.
They have no idea how to do that so no, this idea will not see the light of day in my eyes....just more lip service.....

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Decorate castle was great, but what a lag maker....

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be nice if the team would say how this is progressing. Ziox is so right about lag. What causes it the crafted pavers, the walls? Both? Is there any solution for it? I am super careful about the amount of items I lock down.

All that keeps me in UO now is the castle redo. :( That is sad yea but it is true. Tried idocs, too many cheaters, tried rares/event collecting, too many cheaters, and way 2 high prices. Designing and decorating house is so far cheater free. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
As i've said in other threads and pointed out to the Devs, it was an idea splurted out before the brain engaged.....like normal.
Once you start thinking about placement issues and blocking objects in most castles at different positions, you realise the only way this would "ever" work is if you re-drew the house placement rules from scratch up.
They have no idea how to do that so no, this idea will not see the light of day in my eyes....just more lip service.....
I liked the idea that ONCE you had a properly placed castle you could upgrade it to a plot that ignored the existing terrain. So many castles have placement issues they probably aren't even aware of if they went with a different design. It would be much easier to deal with stuff sticking up through the plot with a custom than a prefab. Back when the world was new many houses had things sticking up through the floor and we learned to adapt to it. It would be much easier if we could deal with that issue as we pleased. Mesanna is so completely wrong with her take on this in so many ways it's goes beyond illogical. A customizable plot is the only thing that would be realistic to all but a handful of people. Even to those that could use the prefab it's not likely someone will want someone elses idea of a dream castle.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It would be nice if the team would say how this is progressing. Ziox is so right about lag. What causes it the crafted pavers, the walls? Both? Is there any solution for it? I am super careful about the amount of items I lock down.

All that keeps me in UO now is the castle redo. :( That is sad yea but it is true. Tried idocs, too many cheaters, tried rares/event collecting, too many cheaters, and way 2 high prices. Designing and decorating house is so far cheater free. :)
There is no current progress. They said they're completely focused on Endless Journey.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The players wanted just a custom plot the same size as a castle. It would of probably been easier for the devs to do this, but instead they made it complicated wanting to have players submit custom designs etc. but the players can't do this with the tools they have.

Talk about make a mountain from a mole hill.