• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Language Barriers any suggestions....

G

Ok so now that EA is down i've spent some time in TC3 wich seems there is a TON of free, international players and HELP im so confuseded LOL! Seems they are asking game questions or need some sort of help. Now i've tried some of them language translators online but hmmm... seems its not helping much OR i'm not sure of the language OR they are speaking slang LOL. I don't want to be rude i do want to help them but eeekk i resorted ( i know im terribly mean ) ignoring 2 players cuz the babbling drove me insane. I wasn't hosting i was skilling on another lot mind you. I think we need an auto translator if so many international players are going to stay. What do ya'll think? And don't say... to them we are speaking gibberish too i know this

M

MandiK

Alot of them land at my Welcome House in EA Land as well. Sometimes I will have 20 people in there, and cant understand half of them. I just reply 'no' once and go on about my business, lol.

G

lol Mandi I jus wish i could help so MAYBE our amazing devs will add an auto translator lol

A

Anarela

I have had quite a few Brazilians and one Protuguese in my lot... I do speak a little portuguese so I tried to help, but it's really tiresome to explain our lovely game when you don't have the full vocabulary you need...

I have spoken with Pari about this , and since, i have talked with 2 ppl in game that are going to work on this issue together , wtigermon in ea land is one of them . Until we get something, u can always use the online translator
http://babelfish.altavista.com/ it works well .

L

luvibunni

I agree. Its really hard to play with others when you cant understand them. I unfortunately have had to block a few to because they kept asking me things over and over. Then one followed me to my house and started in with negative actions and wrote on their name "You Block me!" lol

I know there are other areas with their languages. Maybe on the help files they should have directions to that neighborhood. ? lol I think the translator would be awesome so that we could interact with international players but until then, they may find the game more enjoyable being around others who can understand them.

BabiDoll~

A

Anarela

There are no specific language areas, but I agree they should have instructions in their own languages...

One of the guys that came into my lot was throwing tons of negative interactions, I asked... and he explained he was just "testing" as he didn't understand what it was (couldn't understand the words) but then again, I have the chance to speak in different languages, so it helps...

I

imported_Founder

I used to be a limited english speaker about 15 years ago, so I guess I'm qualified to offer these tips on better communicating with another limited english speaker, as all of this is based on my previous experience:

Please note, that I will be using LLC to abreviate "limited language speaker"

1. Don't use jargon, slangs or abbreviations as LLP will not find these in their dictionaries.

2. Spell Correctly! This is very crucial as LLP will have a tough time finding misspelled words in their dictionaries.

3. Avoid articles such as "THE" "AN" and "A" My native language is russian and russian language DOES NOT have articles and when I had to translate a sentence, articles just got in the way of things.

4. Its ok to use broken english! Avoid punctuation as well because not all language use same punctuation rules, including apostrophes. The less words you type, the fast they will understand your message. For example, instead of saying "What would you like to buy in our store? Please let us know" simply say "What want buy?" This way they only have to translate 3 words and not 13 and at same time, understanding what you want to relay to them.

That's pretty much it! Well, one more thing: Be Patient! Its much tougher to be LLP than it looks.