• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new anncouncement concering the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the annoucnement Here!

(Player Event) Lake Austin Church Service for all Shards

DJ_Sandman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1621207869863.png

Come be "In The Light" with DJ Matthew on Lake Austin.

All Shards welcomed for this event every Sunday.

All services will give you information about the Bible
Trivia on the last Sunday of the month and there will
UO GOLD as prizes.

(even Siege players welcomed.... 8^)} )

PopL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Holy crap! I mean sure, there are people that treat UO like a religion but since when has UO become the target for religious groups and their missionary zeal?
Since when does an open to all player event become a target about 'religion'? Community fellowship has always been a part of UO whether it be joining a guild or meeting once a week for pvp action. Heaven forbid a group of players come together to discuss Vice vs Virtue ...

By the way ... crap is not holy :p

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you seem offended, that was not my intention.
I am simply surprised to see religious groups trying to recruit (or engage in discussions about their belief as they would probably put it) in MMOs. Then again I probably shouldn't be, maybe it's the next thing after televangelists *shrugs*

Since when does an open to all player event become a target about 'religion'?
Have you read the announcement? How is this not about religion, a very specific one at that too?

PopL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
No offense taken. I just tried to answer your question by pointing out how community fellowship gatherings, offered by players, are common in UO.

In UO we have a consistent battle of 'theories' (good vs evil) with science, faith, religion and spirituality. The announcement does not promote, or recruit, any 'religion', it is an open invitation to all players who are interested in discussing such topics in a respectful atmosphere.

Peace out ...

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The announcement does not promote, or recruit, any 'religion'
umm I would argue it does: "church", "God", "bible trivia" and the most obvious of all the fish symbol saying ICHTYS (greek for fish and acronym for Jesus Christ, God's son, savior). I mean how is this not about promoting Christianity? The very essence of Christianity is to missionize and "spread the word"...

R00

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
umm I would argue it does: "church", "God", "bible trivia" and the most obvious of all the fish symbol saying ICHTYS (greek for fish and acronym for Jesus Christ, God's son, savior). I mean how is this not about promoting Christianity? The very essence of Christianity is to missionize and "spread the word"...

1621418914532.png

PopL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
"Church..." has come to mean a building or organization, the original Greek ekklesia meant "a gathering, assembly". It does not specify a particular 'religion'.

"God" ... God is an image, person or thing that is worshiped, honored or believed to be all-powerful or the creator and ruler of the universe. No where does the fellowship meeting demand a particular belief. It actually states the opposite.

"bible trivia" ... The word Bible itself simply means "book." No where does the invitation mention which 'book' since many opinions will be discussed.

"... the fish symbol saying ICHTYS (greek for fish and acronym for Jesus Christ, God's son, savior)".
The man made acronym is a clever word association, however, IXOYE simply means fish. The symbol <>< itself is derived from pagan roots and It also represents peace and joy as a sign to others. Interpretation of the symbol is left up to the individual mind set. A more recognized Christian symbol is <+><.

"The very essence of Christianity is to missionize and "spread the word"...
That is incorrect. The very essence of Christianity revolves around the life, death and Christian beliefs on the resurrection of Jesus.

Fellowship comes in all forms, and this event is open for all players to gather and discuss their opinions on such philosophical questions.

Peace out ...

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Church..." has come to mean a building or organization, the original Greek ekklesia meant "a gathering, assembly". It does not specify a particular 'religion'.

"God" ... God is an image, person or thing that is worshiped, honored or believed to be all-powerful or the creator and ruler of the universe. No where does the fellowship meeting demand a particular belief. It actually states the opposite.

"bible trivia" ... The word Bible itself simply means "book." No where does the invitation mention which 'book' since many opinions will be discussed.

"... the fish symbol saying ICHTYS (greek for fish and acronym for Jesus Christ, God's son, savior)".
The man made acronym is a clever word association, however, IXOYE simply means fish. The symbol <>< itself is derived from pagan roots and It also represents peace and joy as a sign to others. Interpretation of the symbol is left up to the individual mind set. A more recognized Christian symbol is <+><.

"The very essence of Christianity is to missionize and "spread the word"...
That is incorrect. The very essence of Christianity revolves around the life, death and Christian beliefs on the resurrection of Jesus.

Fellowship comes in all forms, and this event is open for all players to gather and discuss their opinions on such philosophical questions.

Peace out ...
why not just call it what it is instead of beating around the bush?
I mean sure we can have a lengthy conversation about how Christianity borrowed heavily from pagan cults (Egyptian cults, Judaism, etc.) and we can come up with the etymology of every single word used above to show it meant something else at a different point in time...

The missionary idea is a unique feature that distinguishes Christianity from other monotheistic religions - and it is essential to this belief. Sure the story around Jesus etc. is also a central element but let's be honest there are quite similar stories to be found in other religions as well.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think self proclaimed evangelists should take the lazy way out and preach in a gaming environment. Open an actual church or join one and become their Pastor. Stopping the demon and dragon hunts to then sit and listen to someone typing religious messages is nothing short of silly.... imo. But I've never been a fan of DoND or find the DJ either.

On a side note, want to enlighten yourself even more, check out Astrotheology . It more or less explains how everything became everything and that the constellations tell the entire story. Here's a snippet to wet your appetite.

" What if I told you there was once an ancient religion whose God was conceived by a virgin named Meri and had a stepfather named Seb (Joseph)? What if I told you this God was born in a cave and his birth was announced by an angel, heralded by a star and attended by shepherds? He attended a special rite of passage at the age of twelve (although the ancient texts describing this God are silent about His life from the age of 12 to 30). At 30 years of age, this God was baptized in a river (His baptizer was later beheaded). He had 12 disciples, performed miracles, exorcized demons, raised someone from the dead, and even walked on water. They called Him “Iusa”, the “ever-becoming son” and the “Holy Child”. He delivered a “Sermon on the Mount”, and his followers recounted his sayings. He was transfigured on a mount and eventually crucified between two thieves. He was buried for three days in a tomb and rose from the dead. His followers called Him “Way”, “the Truth the Light”, “Messiah”, “God’s Anointed Son”, “Son of Man”, “Good Shepherd”, “Lamb of God”, “Word made flesh”, “Word of Truth”, “the KRST” or “Anointed One”. He was also known as “the Fisher” and was associated with the Fish, Lamb and Lion. According to this ancient religion, this God came to fulfill the Law and was supposed to reign one thousand years. Sounds a lot like Jesus doesn’t it? According to those who deny the existence of Jesus, however, this description is of a mythological precursor to Christianity, the Egyptian God named Horus. Skeptics sometimes use ancient deities like Horus, Mithras or Osiris as examples of dying and rising precursors to Jesus. "

Short version, Horus was Jesus a 1000 years before Jesus was Jesus.

Last edited: