• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Krampus Event Poorly Thought Out

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I logged in on ATL and went to the brit docks to get a trade order and what do i see... People just waiting around for other people to do all the work and when Krampus spawns they can run and kill him for the rewards. After all these years you would think the devs would know this is how these types of events work.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I logged in on ATL and went to the brit docks to get a trade order and what do i see... People just waiting around for other people to do all the work and when Krampus spawns they can run and kill him for the rewards. After all these years you would think the devs would know this is how these types of events work.

View attachment 90354

Did you read the patch notes? 3 trade orders run you are guaranteed a drop. Odds of a drop with 1-2 runs done are rather low. No runs done and well, it's pretty low. So yes, the devs know how this event works and tuned it accordingly. We did a lot of testing on Baja of running various amounts of no trade orders. Almost never got a reward with 0-1 runs.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been seeing that (Atlantic). Really sad... people just sitting around, waiting... as if "banksitting". :)

I thought they would spawn like the robbers that pop up when you are doing the trade quest.

Seeing I had just needed to get a full set of banners, I had different chrs running around... doing the quests... loyalty to different towns. Only 2 were strong enough to kill... or kill "normal spawn". The robbers are not normal spawn. It may be a bigger change with a mage, but the dog and tamer... not at all. Its been so evident 200 people are waiting for Krampus, I was holding off till the interest slackened a little... but why run the quest 100's of times if they aren't going to pop? Prices are flat out insane on goodies. All I want are 2 "naughty" titles. hehe. Pixies, by nature ARE naughty. May not find them at this rate.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Did you read the patch notes? 3 trade orders run you are guaranteed a drop. Odds of a drop with 1-2 runs done are rather low. No runs done and well, it's pretty low. So yes, the devs know how this event works and tuned it accordingly. We did a lot of testing on Baja of running various amounts of no trade orders. Almost never got a reward with 0-1 runs.
Yeah so they do 3 trade runs and THEN wait around....still not a lot of work for the rest of the people running all over Britannia trying to get him to spawn...at least they did SOMETHING!

And the cities coffers should be nice and fat for the holidays!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To the OP.

Like k said. They will get no drops if they don't do runs.

I have a toon camped in minoc to tell me when he is up.

I do 3 runs on a toon and camp him. Then switch to another toon and do as many as I can. I take the first toon that does 3 to krampus then take the next to the next one.

Many are doing this on multiple toons.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 3 runs works great for casual players.

They can do 3 runs and do a krampus the next day if needed. Just don't fight krampus until you do the 3 runs.

It keeps track.

They do need to get rid of the just 4 plain gems in the money bag as a possible drop.

There are too many possible drops to get none.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Honestly if the shard is extremely busy doing Krampus, only doing 3 orders and then waiting is the polite thing to do. You give others a chance to complete their 3 orders before he spawns in order to get a guaranteed drop. The drops aren't limited, so it doesn't matter how many people get looting rights. If they want to sit there after doing no orders, they are just wasting their time for little chance at a reward item.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On one of my other toons I got rewards on 2 out of 3 runs without doing a single trade order... I guess im just extremely lucky tonight... *Runs off to play the lotto*

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 90354
I am the one on the tiger in the pic. Done my three runs and walked away for a few minutes knowing there was time.

Others may be doing the same there. Giving others a chance to get three also as Khyro said.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
and, as I recommended in another thread - don't forget to look in the minions' corpses. I didn't get a drop last night (had been filling BODs all night when the Krampus spawned - Do you know how many jewelry BODs it takes to use up 6500 ingots at 2 per item?), but I DID get 12 candy canes off minions - which netted me 30,000 cleanup points.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish the Krampus threw fewer minions, but that's just me, right?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On one of my other toons I got rewards on 2 out of 3 runs without doing a single trade order... I guess im just extremely lucky tonight... *Runs off to play the lotto*

So, you were participating in the behavior you are complaining of?

And yeah, looks like you have been lucky. Good for you.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so late last night we did a Krampus on Sonoma and there was 4 of us in a guild there and another 2 players.
once done the 4 of us in the guild went out to get our 3 runs done.
we all got our 3 runs done and i decided to run another guy through 3 runs to have him on deck and ready to go and i had only made 1 run and had just gotten the 2nd run when Krampus spawned.

so im thinking that there really does not have to be a lot or runs done to spawn the Krumpus.
again, on the 2nd Krampus there was our 4 guild mates and 2 other people.

so 6 people x3 runs each thats like 18 runs, plus the couple extra i did, so 20?
even if there was 1 or 2 other people who where doing runs (none of my guild mates saw anyone) we are looking at like between 20-30 runs to spawn a Krampus.
thats really not a lot.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, you were participating in the behavior you are complaining of?

And yeah, looks like you have been lucky. Good for you.
I guess it depends on how you look at it... I run the quests on one person but yes terrible me i take 2 people to the battle.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
more 25 trades and have just got 1 bag of gem and 1 title
If you do 3 runs you get a guaranteed drop. 25 runs and you get same.

If you kill Krampus it resets. Thats why players are working together so they can do 3 each and all get drops.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you do 3 runs you get a guaranteed drop. 25 runs and you get same.

If you kill Krampus it resets. Thats why players are working together so they can do 3 each and all get drops.
Did 15 runs and got NOTHING... Had looting rights still got nothing.... had that happen at least 2 times.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep getting coin purse with gold and gems and nothing else in it

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep getting coin purse with gold and gems and nothing else in it
Yes!. That is my only complaint so far. A named bag is not worth a drop. There are many other drops.

The Whips are very rare on LS so far. And we are running them as much as possible.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I got a coin purse with a gold branch in it...WOOT!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got "Nice" title. Would have preferred recipe.
@Kyronix You know what? Whenever possible, we want a choice rather than random omelet especially for a "limited time only" event.
Find out which of your team is a gambling addict and override his or her "random" designs.

Repeating for emphasis: pancake this omelet.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly if the shard is extremely busy doing Krampus, only doing 3 orders and then waiting is the polite thing to do.
Yeah, I'm sure being polite is the first thing that comes to mind of the masses on Atlantic...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They only count if you don't use a moongate.
That's BS they only count for the 25 you need to actually spawn him if you don't use the gates... which most the time I don't.... but they DO count to your 3 whether or not you use the gate however you have to have done 3 in the last hour... so if you do your 3 and sit at the trade minister for the next hour and a half while other folk do the deals by actually walking from town to town..... you might lose your standing...

I know how the system works.... I'm saying it is BROKEN like 90% of the rest of the crap in the game... tedious as hell and no reward and somehow the lazy sobs who bring 2 to 5 characters seem to always get stuff... go figure.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's BS they only count for the 25 you need to actually spawn him if you don't use the gates... which most the time I don't.... but they DO count to your 3 whether or not you use the gate however you have to have done 3 in the last hour... so if you do your 3 and sit at the trade minister for the next hour and a half while other folk do the deals by actually walking from town to town..... you might lose your standing...

I know how the system works.... I'm saying it is BROKEN like 90% of the rest of the crap in the game... tedious as hell and no reward and somehow the lazy sobs who bring 2 to 5 characters seem to always get stuff... go figure.
You are actually wrong. This has been tested by our guild on Baja extensively. You do NOT get credit towards your three if you use gates. You MUST do 3 non-gate runs. The only thing the gate doesn't prevent is Krampus spawning on you (if enough trade orders have been completed by the server)

It is not broken. And it's not three in the last hour also. Another falsehood.

@Khyro and my first 2.5 days on Baja (there is more but they didnt all fit in that secure)

I think we have a pretty firm grasp on how the mechanics work.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can confirm what Khaelor said.

I also ran my own test and found out that even if you did 3 trade runs without using moongates you won't get guaranteed drops if you do only one trade run after that using the moongates.
So looks like using a moongate will reset your trade run count for the guaranteed drops.
I am not 100% sure about cancelling trade runs if they're too inconvenient. I have done that but I might have done 3 normal ones after, so not sure if that resets your count.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 90354
Hard to be suprised. You can see that in every multiplayer game that has more than 5 active players.

When the Minax invasions were run a lot of people camped the lighthouses to just let other people finish the captains...
At EM events people stay hidden for 45 minutes and then only hit the final boss for 5 minutes...
Spellweavers waiting for last 30% of a boss to throw like 2-3 WoD in...
and so on...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah human nature sucks...:(
Yea, maybe..

But then I try to not judge people prematurely, like from a single screenshot/post on Stratics. More likely than not the people in the screenshot are lovely regular people in their daily lives.

Only some people tend think you must be a real psychopath in real life because they once watched you flamestriking a bird in UO. I tend to call it shenenigans when it's in a video game. A matter of perspective IMO.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Krampus can only spawn when the required number of non-Moongate shortcut trade orders have been completed. Once this requirement has been met, Krampus can spawn regardless of moongate use status.
Defeating Krampus will give a chance to all top attackers to acquire one of several rewards based on the number of trade orders they have completed since the last time they killed Krampus. Completing zero trade orders will give a very low chance of a reward, while completing 3 or more will guarantee a reward.
Publish 103 – Ultima Online

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay so I have a question.

I was never able to see Krampus in action on Test Center so last night was the first time I'd even SEEN him, let alone try to kill him.

He's cute! I don't think he's supposed to be :/ but he is....and I did tame a Frost Drake...they are pretty cool! I want to tame a minion...those are scary!

Anyway....there were...4? Of us at first..I think....3 Cu's and a Hiyru....of course ALL of us were on Trade runs when he spawned! Thankfully I was not far from his location.

What tactics do you use (This is for everyone that has killed him) because we were barely putting a dent in him for the first....say 20 minutes or so? I went back and got my phoenix....that didn't work so I tried my Sampire...she got 1-hit lol so I logged back onto my tamer and got my Naj since Krampus's lowest resist was poison. Finally another tamer and few other warriors showed up to help control the minion spawn so I'd say there was about...7? or 8 of us there and it took awhile..which I would expect, I'm just curious what tactics others are using, what pets, templates etc.

It was a FUN encounter!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
[QUOTE="petemage, post: 2971282, member: 166563"Only some people tend think you must be a real psychopath in real life because they once watched you flamestriking a bird in UO. I tend to call it shenenigans when it's in a video game. A matter of perspective IMO.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that....:D

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Larisa he has HIGH Cold and Physical Resists. We use Fire Beetles and 3 of us took him down with little to no problem (damn those minions lol). Since Cu's do 50% Cold and 50% Energy you're only getting 50% damage done to him, also hiryus do 100% Physical damage so they're not the best pet for this encounter.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it very much! Really nice idea, funny minions, cool design, thank you Devs from the home of the Krampus (Germany/Austra). Thumbs up!

The droprate, however... Come on, its Christmas!!! ;-)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay so I have a question.

Anyway....there were...4? Of us at first..I think....3 Cu's and a Hiyru....of course ALL of us were on Trade runs when he spawned! Thankfully I was not far from his location.

What tactics do you use (This is for everyone that has killed him) because we were barely putting a dent in him for the first....say 20 minutes or so? I went back and got my phoenix....that didn't work so I tried my Sampire...
Depending on who we go with: Fire Beetle, Chiv/AI Fire Steed, Reptalon and sometimes a Sampire. Makes pretty quick work of him. Done it with as few as 2. Don't run around like chickens when minions spawn or people get aggro helps a lot. heal, Invis people, heal

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Now we know why you have not been getting drops after doing 3 runs....

A lot of operator error recently.

It is in the notes.

Publish 103 – Ultima Online

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can confirm what Khaelor said.

I also ran my own test and found out that even if you did 3 trade runs without using moongates you won't get guaranteed drops if you do only one trade run after that using the moongates.
So looks like using a moongate will reset your trade run count for the guaranteed drops.
I am not 100% sure about cancelling trade runs if they're too inconvenient. I have done that but I might have done 3 normal ones after, so not sure if that resets your count.
Thats good to know. I cancel the Moonglow and Magincia ones.

Thanks

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He only damages one thing at a time so you do not need to worry about matching his damage with resists. You mount to make him get off your pet. Or just toss heals on the pet. He damages tamers that are not watching him on the screen more than pets.

Mage spells and EVs damage him.

Throw down a Poison field whenever he moves around.

I use a Chiv /AI Reptalon.

I have also taken my Kirin.

His resists are so high that some pets will take a while.

We think he dies too fast on LS.

Don't run around like chickens when minions spawn
This! Invis others then yourself.

Try to keep your pets on Krampus and just move in a spiral to keep the minions in an area and invis some more.

The Hiryu is not the best choice. But I predicted there will be Hiryus.

upload_2018-12-7_14-36-23.png

So just to say a pet does 50 melee damage per hit.

On this Krampus a 100% energy pet would do 12.5 per hit
a Cu would do 9.75 per hit.
a hiryu 5 per hit.

Cu does less damage per hit. But we do not just have a pet with no magic. (I hope)
With the Buffs and attacks from Chiv, any pet will do higher than base damage.

Either take a pet that matches Krampus resists or take your favorite pet with a magic damage and have fun.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A cu, while it is hitting the second-highest resist on the Krampus, is still pretty good as a tank. You just don't want everyone to be using one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of Evs!!

1 Cu 1 firesteed 1 bane my reptalon. Archer Mage.

I got a pouch with nada.

upload_2018-12-7_18-11-33.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I killed 4 of them so far - nothing.
Are you doing 3 trade runs? You should get a Money bag or another drop. Has worked every time for me.
Cant use gates on the runs. Don't go to Krampus until you have done 3 runs.
Just dont like the money bag with just plain gems.

Im guessing the drop rate where you get something besides just gems is between 50 and 75%.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been bringing a rune beetle. I'm pretty sure that the armor corruption helps quite a bit.

Okay. I noticed that there are recipes for minion earrings and minion talons. Do only gargoyles have a chance at getting these? If you're a human/elf and have gotten these recipes, please speak up.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you doing 3 trade runs? You should get a Money bag or another drop. Has worked every time for me.
Cant use gates on the runs. Don't go to Krampus until you have done 3 runs.
Just dont like the money bag with just plain gems.

Im guessing the drop rate where you get something besides just gems is between 50 and 75%.
I did, yes. But I canceled some in between 2 runs. Guess, I shouldnt...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been bringing a rune beetle. I'm pretty sure that the armor corruption helps quite a bit.

Okay. I noticed that there are recipes for minion earrings and minion talons. Do only gargoyles have a chance at getting these? If you're a human/elf and have gotten these recipes, please speak up.
Thats an important info, because on SP there are almost no gargs doing this. Would be another item that will not exist here...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The earring and talon recipes can only be bestowed upon a gargoyle player.