• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

KR Client

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why did they release the client, allowing people who use it to skip 4 screens per second compared to the person on a 2D client?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A little secret from the developer team, KR's sole purpose was to combat speedhackers. :)

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:-S The skipping in the KR client is MUCH MORE ANNOYING than the skipping from a speedhacker.

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Watch load up a 2 D client then watch someone in KR running around in circles for example. You'll see them hit maybe 3 tiles out of lets say 12 from the circle.

N

Ni-

Why did they release the client, allowing people who use it to skip 4 screens per second compared to the person on a 2D client?
I don't know about 4 screens per second, but I did some testing with KR and 2D.

My Computer: 1.6 single core AMD proc, 1.5GB Ram, 128 AGP Video card(My comp is so old I couldn't get one of those PCI-express cards).

I tested running though Luna on Chesapeak(usually the most populated place) during prime time. The route was the same for both clients: from the 'void' on the west side, straight through Luna to the first house that stops the straight line. I ran the route multiple times with each client. Both clients were set at minimun video spec for maximum performance.

2D took an average of 44 seconds.
KR took an average of 34 seconds.

The straight(un obstructed) path test was the most 2D friendliest test considering that KR can pathfind around obsticals better and 2D uses a movement tick for turning whereas KR doesn't.

These are simply my results.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience the main difference between the clients in terms of movement is that in KR you don't get hung up on every twig and branch, it has much better pathfinding which can make it appear that you are moving faster.

Unfortunately, for me, that doesn't make up for its shortcomings in regard to targetting, visibility and inventory functionality. I can't vet my pets reliably, I can't stock my vendors and most of the time I squint at the screen trying to work out what the heck I'm looking at.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To my experience, the difference is as follows:

In 2D client, when you have lag (due to many objects on the screen, bad connection etc.) it takes you longer to pass to the next tile. The 2D client steems to calculate one step after another.

In 3D client, lag doesn't seem to affect moving speed very much. It seems to be more lag-tolerant. Maybe the route is calculated differently. I think that lag doesn't influence moving speed very much in 3D.

This doesn't necessarily mean that 3D users have an unfair advantage. It just means that lag issues just don't weigh that much as in 2D. It CAN be an advantage.

I switched the provider a few weeks ago, and now I am lagged terribly on Catskills (200-300ms ping). With KR client I can move much easier and faster.

Of course, KR client has a better pathfinding algorithm, too. That's a little advantage when you move through the woods or the jungle. However, an experienced 2D-user will know how to move around trees in the fastest way.

Conclusion:
With a good internet connection, a decent computer and experience, PvP between 2D and 3D client users is pretty balanced. KR client users still have to fight all the bugs, don't forget that! :)

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Watch load up a 2 D client then watch someone in KR running around in circles for example. You'll see them hit maybe 3 tiles out of lets say 12 from the circle.
Well that's a good thing then. KR also lets you dress all your gear with one macro and no delay for each piece. There are other advantages too. I for one hope the 2D client dies a quick death so that E***UO goes away.

N

Ni-

That may also be Frame skipping. I turned on frame skipping in the 2D client for better performance. That made alot of people look like they were jumping 3 tiles at a time, but for better personal performance, I considered that a trade off.

V

VorteXPete

Kr runs smoother for me than 2d, but not 4 screens per sec thats crazy!I notice runnin side be side with a 2der i can run a little faster than em,but in ninja animal form i run extremely fast for some reason.