• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Korbin's Journal - Jan. 1, 414

McIan

Journeyman
Day of the Moon – January 1, 414

Well, here I am, beginning a new year and it is shaping up badly. First, the kidnapping of me, then of my family members later: Keitara, my wife, Jakoby, and Jakeem. After cutting off a tattoo from my arm and sending it to my friend Scar, I have been imprisoned by this pirate and her crew. They gave me something that made me think they were friendly and I told them all I knew about Scar and Deminatza, my dearest friends. I thought they would seek a ransom, or an exchange, as she hates Scar very much. But she did not. I think she is insane.

Then, today, with my family present she told me her plan. I will try to repeat it here but I am sure not all the words will be exactly the same.

“Look here,” she said so very calmly to me, almost smiling. “I need eyes that no one suspects. So here is how this is gonna go. You are going to escape, but you work for me now. If you screw up, that pretty wife of yours…” Then the men holding her laughed and shooked her roughly. “Will probably not survive what I do to her.” Her smile was like a deranged person. Then she said, “Deal?”

I did not know what to say, so I asked about my children. Jakoby is ten and Jakeem is six. She said, “Oh, not to worry; they’re being looked after. Little Jakoby seems to be great with stealing. He will make a good pirate one day.” That seemed to make her happy. I did notice she did not let the bad men be rough with Jakeem and when she looked at him, the madness seemed to vanish, somewhat.

I was crushed. What could I do? I saw the fear and uncertainty in the eyes of my family, though Jakoby seemed less frightened, as if it were just an adventure. The pirate lady told me I could spend time with them just about every day, though we would be guarded. She also told me good behavior would be rewarded with gold and trinkets for the family. I did not want them but I can see she is not herself and to refuse her would only be trouble for me and my family. So I agreed and she let me go, but told me I must return to her outpost every evening before nightfall, or else.

I cannot tell anyone of this, nor lose the rune I have to her outpost. If I come back without it or try to loan it to someone else, and she finds out, then doom for us… them first while I watch. She said she has other spies and friends in Papua who will be watching us, me and Scar.

I think they plan to use it as a base of some kind. They are helping someone else who is as bad as they are. I could not yet catch his name but I will be listening.

Last edited: