• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kind of funny

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I first started playing UO on the day it was released (got it as a 6 day early gift on my 30th Birthday :) ) I will turn 50 a few days after UO turns 20 :) It is the one game I have played consistently since that time, with some long breaks until my first retirement. RL still occasionally get in the way and I can't log on much for weeks or sometimes months but that is the nature of life and responsibility. Where it got funny for me......... It occurred to me the other day talking to a group of young people........ I have been playing this game longer than they have been alive LOL. Sure have been a lot of up and downs and changes both in game and RL since September 24th 1997 ;) My Favorite Expansion was hands down Lord Blackthorn's Revenge, Mainly because it opened Ilsh up to the CC and did not force the use of that steaming pile of dung they call a 3 client back then :) My Least favorite was Age of Shadows (Age of Stuff) Hated shifting from a skill based game to a item based game, where the person with the most money wins. I was torn on the Ren Expansion in 2000 but it had to happen, simple fact is if didn't I don't think the game would have survived to AOS and we sure would not be here posting about UO today. Seen some great Devs come and Go and some real Stool Samples. For all of the complaining about the Dev team today, they are actually one of the better teams and doing more than teams double and triple their size in other games. Could it be better? Sure, but the same could be said about each and everyone of us and our work. LOL I find those that believe they have reached perfection in their field are usually the most flawed and imperfect :) Anyway just thought I would share my thoughts that were conjured up in that conversation with some younger folks last night :)

Still have the original first box in my bottom desk drawer....... Sigh and even the same desk and chair :)

Ultima_Online_cover.jpg

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I should take a pic of the chair that is missing 3 wheels and is a balancing act to sit on and the padding on the arms wore down to the wood, its errrr ummm broke in and comfortable. My wife bought me a new chair thinking I wanted a new one about 5 years ago........ And there it has sat in the corner of the barn still in the box ever since :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so if ya got back troubles that would be the cause ;) only thing I miss about that old 3D client is the dancing, that was cute

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL I should take a pic of the chair that is missing 3 wheels and is a balancing act to sit on and the padding on the arms wore down to the wood, its errrr ummm broke in and comfortable. My wife bought me a new chair thinking I wanted a new one about 5 years ago........ And there it has sat in the corner of the barn still in the box ever since :)
Some people see a broken chair. I see a comfortable new padded stool/footrest.

Broken doesn't always mean you have to stop using it! :)

desk-chair-broken2.jpg

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Favorite Expansion was hands down Lord Blackthorn's Revenge, Mainly because it opened Ilsh up to the CC and did not force the use of that steaming pile of dung they call a 3 client back then :) My Least favorite was Age of Shadows (Age of Stuff) Hated shifting from a skill based game to a item based game, where the person with the most money wins.
Agreed. On both points.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the worse time with computer chairs.
As a youngster i used to sit on my legs on a stool and it sort of stuck...
I now have a computer chair that i have removed the back from so i can sit on my legs still.....(42 now and i'm sure it's no good for circulation anymore)
:thumbsup:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have the worse time with computer chairs.
As a youngster i used to sit on my legs on a stool and it sort of stuck...
I now have a computer chair that i have removed the back from so i can sit on my legs still.....(42 now and i'm sure it's no good for circulation anymore)
:thumbsup:
Sounds like a blood clot waiting to happen...

I agree though AoS while I LOVED the new housing (Though I HATED the fact that everytime you did anything in the build menu it cost you as well as EVERYTHING went into the moving crate, however sometimes that would be a great "command")... I hated the itemization... though it gave me a few new things to collect... like AoS boots!!!! and my massive collection of 100% weapons... because I like the pretty colors...

I miss the dancing and gestures from Third Dawn... Waving to friends, falling down... that had to be the funniest thing... I loved the expanded boxes and bags... hated trying to trade with anyone in the old CC though... And trying to PvP even in RP was a joke in the 3D client.

My Character got married in that client...
Willa weds55.1.jpg

Ah such memories... So many friends that are gone now...

Ooo almost forgot the other thing I REALLY miss from that client.... Being able to get a 360 view of your character because you could turn the paperdoll!...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah such memories... So many friends that are gone now...
The list of friends made in game that very often ascended into RL friendships that have departed the world of the living, has indeed gotten very long.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The list of friends made in game that very often ascended into RL friendships that have departed the world of the living, has indeed gotten very long.
Yes my Grandmother warned me about it... She said it's the hardest part of growing old. Retirement she said was greatly over-shadowed by the specter of death. And that growing older only meant you spent more time going to funerals than parties.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I loved that original 3d client, maybe because its the one I started the game on, the character graphics and animations were so far ahead of the EC ones now, over the years the "3d" clients seem to have gotten worse, a lot of the monsters look worse, I especially hate what they have done to Firesteeds, they have gone froma blaze nightmare style with flaming hooves, to a basic horse put through an awful orangey filter.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember that first 3d client, i still have the Bifocals it caused me to need . . .

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loved that original 3d client, maybe because its the one I started the game on, the character graphics and animations were so far ahead of the EC ones now, over the years the "3d" clients seem to have gotten worse, a lot of the monsters look worse, I especially hate what they have done to Firesteeds, they have gone froma blaze nightmare style with flaming hooves, to a basic horse put through an awful orangey filter.
I too loved that 3d client. And this quote above wins the thread :)

Some of the graphics were a bit odd. But it did at least try and bring the game into the 1990s ;)

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There have been a lot of changes over the years for sure. I hope that the game can be around for a while longer. Although I wouldn't mind eventually seeing an updated game with the better graphics but the same mechanics at some point. I think it would be a really big hit. As of now I wouldn't want to give up uo as it is though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was in alpha/Beta and the release of Sony's Landmark... Now I only did so because they promised me a Sandbox...

If I could take a game engine like that... marry it with UO.... that would be a game I'd never stop playing... Trees that go down when you lumberjack...(They do respawn randomly later) mining that actually digs in the ground and makes a hole... (It does fill back in after awhile)... Building anything you really want on your plot and your plot can be anywhere from 100% above ground... Up in the air with a ladder to get to it... to 100% below the ground with only a tiny hole to get in... But completely customizable land and everything inside your area... That would be awesome... water you can swim in... Yeah... if the two things could be married together it would be amazing. Being able to move items up, down, side to side... to place them just right... true 3d environment...

Was a dream of mine for a time that Landmark would be my new "UO" but sadly the people running that game had ZERO clue what a Sandbox really should be... and it died a sad death. But I miss it...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't see UO ever dying out all together if/when the official plug gets pulled the free shards will keep chuggin along. Heck TA came out in 1997 as well and every weekend there are still a couple hundred of us that get together on a private server with a rip off of cavedog entertainments Boneyards and and have epic wars.

total_annihilation.jpg