• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kickstarter preview

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Hey guys, take a look at this work in progress and feel free to give feedback!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1045484633/1111973487?token=f7b7fd88

I actually have a slightly different video ready, but the damned website won't let me upload it right now... so at the moment the video is exactly the same as the one in the earlier video-preview thread, no need to re-watch it.

I'm mostly interested in your first impressions on the text, and the rewards. I've tried to do fun rewards that are also realistically viable, but that means some of the most interesting ones end up being pretty expensive.

Ferines

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well, I dislike the layout of kickstarters but you can't change that :/

The rewards are interesting, I rather like them. The backing rewards look very reasonable in their tiers when compared to other pre-release prices that I've seen.
Aside from that, the sub-title block art adds a much needed break from the long paragraphs of text.
I do suggest adding some more bolding/italicization or something to vary the text between blocks, because it gets a little tiring to read everything. The blocks are roughly the same length and look too visually similar. More line breaks, tabs or anything would help break the monotony.

Also, if Alpha and Beta cost money to join, I'd be sad :(

But I'd do it anyways.

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Major Comment
In the section above "WHO WE ARE" you end the second paragraph with "As the lead developer -------and I have the experience to back that confidence up". I would move that sentence to the end of the section and make it a seperate paragraph with "WHO WE ARE" following it. This way you document your experience immediately after claiming it. In "WHO WE ARE" I would expand the paragraph covering your experience or link to the "About Us" and "For Hire" pages of Elder Game after updating both your resumes. I would list experience for SHOGN's artists and Conor Brace because I know nothing about them except for having played the game they worked on.

Minor Comments
1) In more than one place I saw project: Gorgon - no upper case P.
2) My internet rate is 192kB/sec and cannot keep up with the video for more than 5 or so seconds before pausing. Stopping playback and waiting for download to complete works but there is nothing to suggest this.
3) The rewards seem more imaginative than others I have seen. For myself I wouldn't want them and would prefer to play like everyone else.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I like it all. think it was well written and gives plenty of information. it also touches on what I've been wondering about. the business model..

$5 a month isn't bad. if that's the direction you do choose to go then go with it. subscription games do help to weed out the more undesirable/destructive players. however note that while it is a minimal amount there are countless people like me (yeah I hate saying it but...) I honestly can't spend $5 a month in a lot of months. now maybe i'ld be able to pre-pay for some months maybe I wouldn't idk... and because of that I wouldn't play simply because of the risk of not being able to play.

I would like to suggest you concider another method... yes it's a F2P model but isn't not like all the F2P games out there. they are all crap they pump the shops full of uber equips/upgrades wait for the people that can/will buy them all to rule top charts to get everything then when the money slows down pump out new servers to start all over again... that sucks. but I have noticed a few smaller companies do a new F2P that focus more on convenience and cosmetic's in their shop this appeals to a much wider audience while still has the potential to keep the game funded/make profit

Examples of Shop items:
Extra storage space : Backpacks to place in your storage each back be an additional usable 5x5, 8x8, 10x10, 15x15 storage size.
Cosmetic pets: people love these things and they don't have to offer any in game advantages. however one thing some games have done to make them more appealing is allow you to set the pets to loot for you. so you don't have to stop your dungeon runs sifting threw crap.
Dyes for gears: can sell special dye's that you can't get/make in game. can make chrome, gold, even rainbow or what ever...
Mats: being able to purchase gatherable mats. it wont make the game pay to win becaue free players can still farm them. but those with money can but them and speed thigns up.

and there are many other options that people WILL buy. if you're interested in this I can even help continue listing things I've seen.

ALSO NOTE: I know some people will be against this but.... if you did concider going this route then I beg you make the cash currency tradable just like the in game coins.. doing this helps generate sooo much more revenue for the game. as free players like me who simply can't pay (or when can can only do VERY little) can then get the cash currency from other players then those players buy more.. it keeps the demand for the cash currency up.

ohwell i'll shut up now. but yeah wanted to say some things about this

zentr

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The rewards cause me to ask whether there will be player housing in the game, besides what is available during kickstarter. I don't see it listed among the features (maybe I missed it?). EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now. lol

The 10$ reward is the only one that interests me (other than the expensive housing options) because it provides Gold Level for 3 months. If Gold Level means a paid subscription at $5 a month, that is a $15 value for $10. That seems like a good deal. You might want to add similar awards at higher levels. For example, a 6 month Gold Level for $50, or 1 year paid Gold Level for, say $80.

Most of the digital items, emotes, etc. don't interest me because, in general, I like being able to earn what I get in the game. I'm not above using a cash shop, but only in rare cases.

Last edited:

Illywing

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
" If Gold Level means a paid subscription at $5 a month, that is a $15 value for $10. That seems like a good deal. You might want to add similar awards at higher levels. For example, a 6 month Gold Level for $50, or 1 year paid Gold Level for, say $80." zentr

I second this.

Cowinator

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Cows were included in the Kickstarter, so you have my vote. Although it is a blessing and not a curse.

I love the rewards and will be sending you my money. Can't wait for the Kickstarter to launch and hype it up.

Keep up the great work!

Gremror

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure I have any more suggestions than others, as I don't have much experience with kickstarter.

That said, I'm going to be aiming to donate $125. I mean, those saying $10 - that's £6/ €7.50, it's nothing, it's 2 pints. Come on guys, we as players can stretch a little beyond that. Push the boat out, go for the $25 at least. It's not about the rewards, it's getting the money to the devs to hit the $100,000 goal. If they don't hit that, then it's over. all of this would be over.

Wyrmrider

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Great work overall, really gets the points across I think.

Random nitpicks:
- "But we answer this basic dichotomy it in a totally different way." (typo "it in")
- "More than three years" working on the project, then "three years," then "almost four years"
- At the $10 level, "Gold Level game access" is not actually explained anywhere else.
- This game's incomparably beautiful - nay, GLORIOUS - soundtrack deserves better than to be lumped in with some nasty wolf spit. (Kidding. ;))

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Thanks again guys! Made some more changes, going to kick it off after I do a final read-over this afternoon.