• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Kelmo vs The Beast!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I arrive home from a tough day of scrubbing pots and pans, and what do I find?

(ooc) do not judge the messy house. *stares* I know powerful people...

My kitties have signed for a strange large box for nothing is more fun for a kitty than a mysterious box. As a closed box is somewhat boring I quickly open it up. Well... not so quickly as the box was rather well strapped up.

Inside I find THE BEAST!

!!!

Wow...

I decide to just look at it a while and size it up.

After removing the packing. I plug this bad boy in and settle down and wait to be impressed...Denied! It says something about a boot disc. Like it is not finding one. Hmm... All the money I paid and the OS is not there... (remember... I r not smart about computers.)

I put in the Vista disc and try again... *grumbles* where is that code at? I find the code for the 7 upgrade, but that can't be it. A little birdy (thanks Ian!) told be to look on the case. *doh!* There it is with the code written in very small and hard to read symbols.

Well, Vista wants to be installed and asks where to go. *huh*

"Go where you always go." I mutter...

After attempting the same thing over and over expecting it to somehow work.

I notice there is no place for Vista to go. There is no hard drive. *blinks*

I know this machine has been thoroughly tested not once but several times. It had a diploma that says so. I look over all of the material and ponder...

A cold sweat breaks out as I realize I must enter the belly of the beast. It said so in the trouble shooting guide. With as much confidence as a dish washer performing brain surgery, I dive in. What a strange alien world!

I reach inside a try to feel about for something anything a miss. Well, there are loose wires and such everywhere, but I think most of them are supposed to be, for now anyway. I reach around and feel behind the hard drive and I find something that was unplugged the likely needed to be replugged. I stress over this a moment because I can not see a thing.

I was then that I realized that the other side panel was removable as well. *sighs* Yes. there is an empty slot. I locate the most likely loose wire that looked like it would fit... It does. Happily, I power the rig back up... Nothing. Same message... no hard drive.

I power down and go back for seconds... I trace the line I plugged in and another loose end. Those wires were well wrapped thus making it difficult follow. I was determined though.

Pulling out the charts, I locate where the hard drive was supposed to connect to the mother board. (Why is it called mother board?) Right were it needed to be... obscured by the video card. *shakes head*

I fiddle about and finally get my fat fingers behind the card and plug the damn thing in. It took a really long while...

I power up and there it is! It is alive!!!!!!

Now this little story may not impress you geeks... Before this I had never done anything more than change memory. I was pretty proud of myself. *chuckles*

S

Stupid Miner

:thumbsup:

Wow... that is an intimidating-looking thing!

Oh and the interior is all roomy too, nice! :) I'm jealous.

U

UOKaiser

I arrive home from a tough day of scrubbing pots and pans, and what do I find?

(ooc) do not judge the messy house. *stares* I know powerful people...

My kitties have signed for a strange large box for nothing is more fun for a kitty than a mysterious box. As a closed box is somewhat boring I quickly open it up. Well... not so quickly as the box was rather well strapped up.

Inside I find THE BEAST!

!!!

Wow...

I decide to just look at it a while and size it up.

After removing the packing. I plug this bad boy in and settle down and wait to be impressed...Denied! It says something about a boot disc. Like it is not finding one. Hmm... All the money I paid and the OS is not there... (remember... I r not smart about computers.)

I put in the Vista disc and try again... *grumbles* where is that code at? I find the code for the 7 upgrade, but that can't be it. A little birdy (thanks Ian!) told be to look on the case. *doh!* There it is with the code written in very small and hard to read symbols.

Well, Vista wants to be installed and asks where to go. *huh*

"Go where you always go." I mutter...

After attempting the same thing over and over expecting it to somehow work.

I notice there is no place for Vista to go. There is no hard drive. *blinks*

I know this machine has been thoroughly tested not once but several times. It had a diploma that says so. I look over all of the material and ponder...

A cold sweat breaks out as I realize I must enter the belly of the beast. It said so in the trouble shooting guide. With as much confidence as a dish washer performing brain surgery, I dive in. What a strange alien world!

I reach inside a try to feel about for something anything a miss. Well, there are loose wires and such everywhere, but I think most of them are supposed to be, for now anyway. I reach around and feel behind the hard drive and I find something that was unplugged the likely needed to be replugged. I stress over this a moment because I can not see a thing.

I was then that I realized that the other side panel was removable as well. *sighs* Yes. there is an empty slot. I locate the most likely loose wire that looked like it would fit... It does. Happily, I power the rig back up... Nothing. Same message... no hard drive.

I power down and go back for seconds... I trace the line I plugged in and another loose end. Those wires were well wrapped thus making it difficult follow. I was determined though.

Pulling out the charts, I locate where the hard drive was supposed to connect to the mother board. (Why is it called mother board?) Right were it needed to be... obscured by the video card. *shakes head*

I fiddle about and finally get my fat fingers behind the card and plug the damn thing in. It took a really long while...

I power up and there it is! It is alive!!!!!!

Now this little story may not impress you geeks... Before this I had never done anything more than change memory. I was pretty proud of myself. *chuckles*
It's actually a fun little adventure story. What was the price tag on that?

Oh I was appointed to let you know we are disapointed in you...YOU BROKE THE CARDINAL GEEK RULE. ALWAYS BUILD IT YOURESELF!!!!!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
almost $1900... The stats are in the Post your rig thread.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. And here I thought my giant black box was a monster. That thing looks like it poops out computers like mine.

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanna hold the kittens!!!!!!!! And the beast looks akin to our hefty servers at the school district!

That was a very enjoyable post Kelmo, thanks for the smiles!

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As a side note, looks to me like the kittens have called "dibs" on the new system, but maybe they will let you use it when they aren't. I admire you for being brave enough to go into the "belly of the beast" looking for the source of the no-start problem, especially when you are not all that familiar with computer hardware. I've had that happen once to me, and it is disheartening to have just received an expensive piece of complex machinery and get no signs of life from the start. Loose connections can be dramatic, as well as traumatic! Oh, and that is some fancy shiny red power supply in there! Who is it trying to impress? ;)

-Skylark

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a side note, looks to me like the kittens have called "dibs" on the new system, but maybe they will let you use it when they aren't.
I'm betting once he got that 'nasty black plastic thing' out of their box they were more interested in their new cardboard clubhouse.

U

UOKaiser

almost $1900... The stats are in the Post your rig thread.
The price is good if thats the extreme edition proccessor though if it's a different model and was just overcloaked to the extreame edition speed then maybe just a little over priced. Either way it's the newest core so that should last you for a while. Im a AMD man myself.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
For us wanna be geeks, start a thread and explain why, please. Just when you have time.

I do know that normally I would have to pay you a hundred dollars an hour for tech advice...

If you have a passion to share... or just cold hard facts. You will have a lot of folks soaking it up.

Thank you for contributing your knowledge.

M

mutau

Sooooo much room! you could fit a couch in it. wow!

(ok. Barbie's couch, but a couch, none the less!)