• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keeper Rune Beetles

U

uoBuoY

Okay I've killed about 100 Rune Beetles and tamed only 2, at 3.7 on the Pet Calculator. Hardly worth keeping but I was getting desperate! Does the quality of their spawning environment influence a tameable's stats? I'm Taming Rune Beetles at Yamandon Point which is very safe once you lure the Yamandon away but the remaining Runes are pathetic. Would the Runes be of a high quality in a more dangerous neighborhood?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tamed a few very nice rune beetles at Yamadon Point. I like Beetlescape better cause I like to stealth around and look at all of them first before tryign to kill. I can always use honor to lure the one I want off, or tame it.

They just have random spawn of stats. Kill them until a good one spawns.

Z

Zodiac19

The location of where a victim or pet spawns has no bearing on what stats and skills it spawns with. Persistance is the key, some animals are just a pain to find good keepers and the UO RNG does not help much....

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing wrong at all with a 3.7 beetle, I'd use it in a heartbeat. I use a 3.4 and a 3.7 both VERY effectively, coupled with either a mare or a bake. Either one couple with one of the other pets make a devastating combo. As has been mentioned, if you want better, you're going to have to keep killing them until you get it to spawn.

5% Luck

I figure with the rune beetles you have to make a choice. Stats/resist stats/skills or skills/resist.

To me the perfect rune beetle is 170 dex near perfect(65/50/50/95/60) resist and 110+ eval. Then I opt for str and finaly if im feeling "farmmy" i got for 125+ poisoning post tame.

I typically get 3-5 mill for a good one!

My keeper up to date:

320/168/421 450 str
65/50/47/82/59
117.8 poison 110.8 eval

WOOT!

but n pic means it dont exist right? well maybe some day ill learn how to use my web page or subscribe to one of those pic poster sights. Ha!

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI one of the things I'm working on for the pet calc is to incorporate specifics - like for rune beetles, the eval and poisoning skills are quite important. :) I'll post if any changes are made to how RB's are rated!

Merry Christmas!

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but n pic means it dont exist right? well maybe some day ill learn how to use my web page or subscribe to one of those pic poster sights. Ha!
Hehe. Photobucket is free and only takes a moment. You can host a siggy there too. It's nice to be able to take screen shots and show people exactly what you mean sometimes.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really do have to take the pet power numbers with a grain of salt.

For example, my best beetle rates only a 3.6 on the calculator, but has 120 poisoning and more than 90% in every single resist. He also has 100% in fire and energy resists, which are the lowest resists in the rune beetle's arsenal.

Where my beetle fails is he has extremely low dexterity and only 85% of the maximum hit points. But it more than makes up for the lack of dex and HP with outstanding resists (and only 100 EI).

Between that and my also-3.6 bake kitsune, I can tank what some people have trouble tanking with their greater dragons.

So while the calculator is a good resource, you still need to know what you're looking at.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolutely true Farsight. Just as importantly, I have pets that "fight" better than they "rate" on the calculator. Whether it's cu's that heal super fast compared to normal ones or drags who wrestle better than their skill would indicate, some pets are simply "better" than they look when put into fighting situations. You never know this until you start working them up, but it's always a pleasant surprise.

U

uoBuoY

Absolutely true Farsight. Just as importantly, I have pets that "fight" better than they "rate" on the calculator. Whether it's cu's that heal super fast compared to normal ones or drags who wrestle better than their skill would indicate, some pets are simply "better" than they look when put into fighting situations. You never know this until you start working them up, but it's always a pleasant surprise.
Problem is you don't know what the pet will eventually achieve while you're your deciding whether or not to tame it!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figure with the rune beetles you have to make a choice. Stats/resist stats/skills or skills/resist.
Pretty valid point I think with the rune beetle and with other prospective pets.

It really is tough to get the whole wallet so to speak. You might get a penny here, a dime there, but not always the whole dollar bill.

Personally speaking I do what I can to get nice HP, dexterity and what have you, but after that, I tend to lean more towards skills and resist.

I would agree with the 125+ benchmark for poisoning as well. It would be really nice to get a rune beetle with 140 poisoning and some nice skills...and okay stats but I have never had the luck doing it.

As far as location, you are fine where you are. There are other areas but...none is more valid or "better" than the other.

S

Sarphus

I don't think it's realistic to make a calculator that adequately evaluates high-end rune beetles.

Every stat on a rune beetle is relevant for something that is at least somewhat important to at least one playstyle. There are so many stats available on a rune beetle that the odds of rolling a perfect one are pretty much impossible.

I personally rate beetles on 2 distinct sets of critieria. I'm either looking at a tanking beetle or a damage beetle. What I'm really looking for is a perfect beetle, though.

The most important thing for a tanking beetle is the total resists. The second most important thing is the HP cap on the beetle.

The most important things on a damage beetle are strength, dex/stam and eval int respectively. A beetle with high enough dex will swing very fast (swing cap) after it buffs itself.

I haven't found any convincing evidence that poisoning skill does much for you. It makes your beetle more likely to poison the target, but I haven't found that to be particularly important in pvm.

All of this is just my opinion, though. What makes a rune beetle good is highly debatable.

My advice to anyone farming beetles is to first look at the bard difficulty of the beetle. If it's < 112 before it buffs itself, don't even look at the rest. Bard difficulty is based on total stats and skills, so if you get one that's 112+, you know the stats and skills have potential to be good. The next thing I look at are the resists.

If the bug isn't pretty close to all the resist caps, I stop looking unless the bug is 114+ bard difficulty... If the bug has moderate resists and 114+ difficulty, I look at the stats carefully and decide if I want to claim the beetle as an attack beetle.

If you're planning to use an attack beetle, I highly recommend looking for a bake that's really high in HP/resists. I have found bakes to be the best 2 slotter for tanking.