• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keep owners

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okies...let's see those designs. I'm tired and want to copy some of the good stuff, lol...la

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mountains of ideas, many adaptable to legacy homes, in the stickies up top, did ya check up there?

T

Tazar

What??? First you steal our items... now you set out to steal our ideas!!! lol

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm, the only keep I have right now is my vendor keep. And I just redid it over in flavors of avocado green and harvest gold. It's very '70s, I have a feeling that would not be to your taste. In fact I'm pretty sure it scares most of my customers. I can post pics if you like though! :D

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
here is some more ideas for you same keep only posting the areas that were redecorated.

My uo hubby's friend quit ou and gave me the keep I placed for him few years ago. I really haven't done much to it yet. I'm making it a crafters workshop I only have the crafting areas set up. Other areas I'll just decorate when I find the time.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okies...let's see those designs. I'm tired and want to copy some of the good stuff, lol...la
n00b ;)

Too bad our old keep & castle thread died with the Stratics crash a couple of years ago.

As mentioned, take your lazy thief hide on a stroll through the sticky threads at the top of this forum...and you might also go to Miss Echo's website for some great "item built" ideas suitable for classic homes (and tutorials). Echo Deco section at http://www.spellweave.com

Also, one of her fully decorated castle schemes making extensive use of chopped add-ons, plants, and gozas was one of the best I have ever seen. I have lost the links I had to it, but perhaps someone else still has them.

Sarsmi's ski slope wonderland could be the poster child for OCD as well but was pretty incredible, and can give you some ideas on what is possible if you are crazy enough. Sarsmi has made some really fabulous castle/keep decorations. Hopefully someone has links.

Oh, another great deco site, Crescent Moon Interior Designs...lots of deco examples, and she also preserved a great deal of the old Castles & Courtyard content when that site died.

-Skylark

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ehhh, I specifically want ideas fgor my new keep. I am looking to see how some of them have been laid out as far as rooms. This is my first keep, so I really am not sure how the layout works for getting to different rooms within the keep.

One thing I dislike already is the lack of doors. It would be nice if some of the rooms in the corners could be locked so that I could open the whole keep open to the public. As it is now, I'll make the keep public to drop some vendors, but at the same time, the front doors will have very limited access.

:sad4:

...la

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My approach to decorating keeps and castles has always been to treat each area as discreet living/purpose areas, because I view them as "homes". Others approach it from an overall cohesive design, sometimes taking it floor by floor, and have a color scheme/theme that runs through the whole thing (that is why I am hoping someone has pics of Miss Echo's castle for you - she really had a wonderful unified design.)

So you need to decide what approach works for you - you can even mix it up and for example have a unified theme for the roof while making the lower level in discreet areas or place your vendors to make them look like they are in a real shop, etc. You can even design areas around particular things you think look good, e.g. couch, fireplace, piano, etc.

Since you can't customize the actual design, you are going to have to rely on building things with items and using add-ons traditionally, and non-traditionally (stack & chop methods) to create your designs.

Some things you are going to want:
Heritage items - ladders, & trees in particular
New plants, some of the old ones such as campions, poppies, etc. - I personally favor the plain varieties in my designs
LOTS of cloth, granite pieces (or rubble) if you plan to create architectural items, stone & deedable wooden tables - you are going to ruin some experimenting with chopping if you go that route. Remember that you can make your floor be pretty much anything you want covering it with cloth, pillows, gozas, etc. People such as Petra, Patty Pickaxe, and Queen Zen on Siege are going to be your friends in terms of purchasing these if you don't want to harvest/craft yourself.

The SE stealable items such as the tower sculptures, vases, screens, and fans, can be used to create things with as well.

A keep is a big project, don't feel like you have to get the whole thing done quickly or you can end up feeling overwhelmed and just start tossing containers all over the place.

I wish I'd taken more screenies of Bram's castle (which I never finished), but following are some snips of deco that can be used in a classic house to store, display, etc.

-Skylark

W

Wilde1

I've only done part of my keep, but here goes...

The NPCs in the second picture are wearing armor sets (ranger, virtue, samurai, double exceptional same maker set)

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you check out the Castle and Keep Sticky thread, yet? There are alot of castles, but I think you could use alot of the deco ideas in a keep.

N

Nastia Cross

I'll post some of my pics as soon as I redesign my new keep.

I have to say though, I really wish they would utilize the empty spaces in keeps on the ground floor and at least make them hallways between corners. That would rock.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rico,

Here are some from Queen Alglaranna's castle, with rubble pieces featured.

Lord Dexter's castle:

Faith's water themed castle with rubble & new plants.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I redid my vendor keep floors using the inside of pentagrams (made from oak and slime dyed that avocado green). I used harvest gold (oak) highlights and black gozas with oak barrel lids to accentuate - it's totally '80s retro, baby!

I think because of the colors its one of those like it or hate it things. I figure most people will find it too bright and obnoxious, but I was really darn tired of grey stone after all these years and needed a change. Obviously you can do different colored floors. ;)

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW Sarsmi! I love it and hate it at the same time! It gives me such a mix of emotions! :p Seriously, I do love the pentagram floor, but for me it's almost too overwhelming in combination with the other deco. I find myself only looking at the floor! I love how you put some vendors up on Gaza mats. I love how you covered the walls in tapestries. I did the same thing to the lower floor of my castle.

N

Nastia Cross

OMG Sarsmi, how long did it take you to chop all of those pentagrams??

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi, how long did it take you to chop all of those pentagrams??
And what about the amount of slime dyes?? I haven't been playing for the last 18 months, and didn't have any first hand experience with that event, but if it is like any other event in UO, I can guess how much time was involved in the collection process.

If you used 1 pentagram per floor square (the chopped out center as the final piece?), that is a whole bunch of pentagrams (and wood) separate and apart from the effort of chopping each one..

I'm kind of like Patty...I can only stare at it in a sort of mixture of horrified fascination/admiration. It looks really neat texture-wise, and is great contrast without having to resort to a solid goza field of black, but it is a bit in-your-face from a design element perspective. I really like it though, and it is a fabulous monument to OCD, as well as a spectacular UO vendor house. ;)

Not that we needed further proof that Sarsmi is insane...but if we did, we have it.

:D

-Skylark

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and what did I pick out of Sarsmi's deco? why the dye tubs sitting on ropes, of course... I am so swiftly stealing that

:thumbsup:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi, how long did it take you to chop all of those pentagrams??
And what about the amount of slime dyes?? I haven't been playing for the last 18 months, and didn't have any first hand experience with that event, but if it is like any other event in UO, I can guess how much time was involved in the collection process.

If you used 1 pentagram per floor square (the chopped out center as the final piece?), that is a whole bunch of pentagrams (and wood) separate and apart from the effort of chopping each one..

I'm kind of like Patty...I can only stare at it in a sort of mixture of horrified fascination/admiration. It looks really neat texture-wise, and is great contrast without having to resort to a solid goza field of black, but it is a bit in-your-face from a design element perspective. I really like it though, and it is a fabulous monument to OCD, as well as a spectacular UO vendor house. ;)

Not that we needed further proof that Sarsmi is insane...but if we did, we have it.

:D

-Skylark
:lol:

The slime dying wasn't too horrible. When the slimes were at that arena north of doom you could trap yourself in a little caged room with them and get a lot of dyes off before they'd teleport out. And also there's a little balcony by the brit farms where you could trap them as well.

Chopping the pentagrams took a bit longer, a few hours actually. I might repeat the experience to retile the floor at some point- but not anytime soon, lol.

Z

zorrah

Hrm, the only keep I have right now is my vendor keep. And I just redid it over in flavors of avocado green and harvest gold. It's very '70s, I have a feeling that would not be to your taste. In fact I'm pretty sure it scares most of my customers. I can post pics if you like though! :D
It does not scare your customers! *laughs* I love your design, for both buildings.

-owner of 'Morrow's Eve shops

Z

zorrah

Oooh, and Millie! It's so nice to see the inside of your keep, finally! I have a rune marked to one of your corridors, from years ago when a friend of mine lived in the area. I was testing out old runes one day, and low and behold I'm in the northern corridor of a keep! :X I stop by and buy up seeds every so often. Hope that's okay.

Also, if you want a copy of the rune, let me know and we can arrange to meet in game. Not sure why you would, but might be of use someday?

M

Millie

Wows that's cool. You must of marked the rune when there was the wooden house there. We own both keeps there. We got extremely luck one day. When the wooden one fell it gave me enough room to put a keep where my house was next door and my hubby to place beside me. I had a rune like that to a keep I had in Fel once. It came with the house. I use to recall inside the corridor and Hide from my red neighbors when they felt blood thirsty. Drove them nuts. lol I don't mind you buying the seed. They are mostly extra. Ill give you a tour if you like . Pm me here and let me know what times your on.

N

Nastia Cross

Chopping the pentagrams took a bit longer, a few hours actually. I might repeat the experience to retile the floor at some point- but not anytime soon, lol.
I added some bloodwood pentagrams last night and after three (four actually but I accidentally chopped the middle piece oops) I threw in the towel for the night lol. They are a nice break from the monotony of the black gozas throughout my keep. Now if I could just figure out how Vlad broke that globe of sosaria I'd be set...

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I added some bloodwood pentagrams last night and after three (four actually but I accidentally chopped the middle piece oops) I threw in the towel for the night lol. They are a nice break from the monotony of the black gozas throughout my keep. Now if I could just figure out how Vlad broke that globe of sosaria I'd be set...
If you mess around with it, do it on test center first. I buy them up when I see them (and aren't too pricey), and being a popular shadow item they usually get priced much higher than the regular crystal and shadow items.

I remember when I was on test center messing around with it I went through three or four of them. Which of course involves making new characters and running them out to the test house, but it's better than destroying your globe deeds on your home shard, hehe.

N

Nastia Cross

Bah, I've already destroyed a bloody pentagram, ankh of sacrifice and several of those dang globes due to slips of the mouse.. I'm a virtual klutz.. lol.. I always forget about test center.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a guess here, but the only way onto the roof of my keep is with a ladder or with stacked goza stairs? Will one ladder do, or do you need a ladder to each of the roof areas? Kind weird.

Also, has anoyone found a good spot to place a fire place hearth where it won't pop up through the floor above? If not, has anyone come up with a good way to cover up the chimney on the floor above?...la

N

Nastia Cross

You would need a ladder or the gozas to reach the roof of your keep. I have seen some creative goza stairs made for this.

As for the hearth, there was a post in one thread where the person had turned the top of the hearth poking through the roof into a water well. It was really awesome.

M

Millie

If you place a Gilded chest above it and then place the hearth above it it will hide all but one little spot of the hearth.

you can also set them in the doors of the smaller rooms and they look ok.
if placed right you will still be able to walk past them.

you can get fancy and do this step
If you place a double stacked forge above it then place it it will hide it .

you use square Gaza to double stack the forges

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh another thing. I see you have a bulletin board next to your double entry doors. Any special trick for this. I can't seem to get it to place there. The only place that it will stick to, is where it covers either one of the doors. I want one exactly in the spot your pic shows...la

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put it in a wooden box on the tile you want it to go on then axe the box, then lock it down and set to anyone.

H

Honest Dan

Thanks Wilde1 for helping me with those chests. Really great idea!

W

Wilde1

Thanks Wilde1 for helping me with those chests. Really great idea!
wish i could claim credit for stacking chests in the entry hall "windows." It's but one of many ideas I've "borrowed" from this forum, hehe.

YW for the help!

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wish i could claim credit for stacking chests in the entry hall "windows." It's but one of many ideas I've "borrowed" from this forum, hehe.

YW for the help!

For some reason i cant seem to get chests to go there... is there a trick to it?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, i figured it out.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put it in a wooden box on the tile you want it to go on then axe the box, then lock it down and set to anyone.
hmmm, I'm just not having a good day... I tried this and it tells me "this object is not in the house I am in" (standing on the steps or in the house gives the same message)

And while I am on the subject of things I can't get to work... I would bet money that I used to be able to raise lamp posts... now it tells me "you cannot raise it up any higher"

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmm, I'm just not having a good day... I tried this and it tells me "this object is not in the house I am in" (standing on the steps or in the house gives the same message)

And while I am on the subject of things I can't get to work... I would bet money that I used to be able to raise lamp posts... now it tells me "you cannot raise it up any higher"
When you drop it on the steps? That is so weird. Maybe try a small table, then try to place the board on the table.

Lamp posts...I put one down the other day and couldn't raise it. I think I ended up dropping a couple of coins first then plopping it down to get it to go where I wanted.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I've always used coins to raise the lanterns... course, whether it was habit or need is hard to say :p

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you drop it on the steps? That is so weird. Maybe try a small table, then try to place the board on the table.

Lamp posts...I put one down the other day and couldn't raise it. I think I ended up dropping a couple of coins first then plopping it down to get it to go where I wanted.
Got it, I was putting the box at the wrong spot... doh!

And the coins worked great! Thank you.

S

Shantia

Wow some of these are really awsome. Any interior decoraters avalible for higher to come look at my ...uh...stuff..and give me suggestions on what to do with it? i've got some nice decoration's laid down but nothing this extravagant! *swoons with envy*

I

Infiniti

For some reason i cant seem to get chests to go there... is there a trick to it?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, i figured it out.
Well I still haven't figured it out and any help would be more than appreciated. I love the chests there! HELP! hehe

W

Wilde1

Well I still haven't figured it out and any help would be more than appreciated. I love the chests there! HELP! hehe

turn on circle of transparency and put the chets into spot from behind the hole in the wall (ie, to the left/east of the hole as you're looking at the screen). then you have to lower the bottom one with the deco tool.

hope that helps :)