• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keep/castle design winners...

Scruffy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hello all,

I see that the design contest is done so who won? Is there a place to see all the winning designs? More interested in the keep as thats what I have but wouldnt mind looking at both.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The stone on test where you went to look at the designs.

Scruffy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ill have to log on and take a look. I honestly havent had a chance to play recently didnt get to look at any of the designs besides scrolling through some of the pics on the thread here. Thanks for the reply ill head over to test in a bit.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Rushes to check the winners!!!*

......Ok. Right. You've gotta be ****ing kidding me. D;
You've had the original keep&castle designs for 21 years. Twenty one years. 252 months. 7560 days. People on TC were given completely free reign with UO's surprisingly powerful customization tool and as a result, loads of really cool entirely novel designs spawned. Ones that explore and use the space given in really cool ways. And what do people vote?! Slightly improved version of the same ****ing thing they've had for 21 years?!D: wtf.

..Above rant isn't meant as a diss towards the designs that won as such; they absolutely improve the 21 year old designs and turn em better in undeniable ways. But em votes?!?!
Having an entirely brand new, interesting thing vs having an updated and slightly improved version of a 21 year old design. And people pick the latter???Seven hells people.

At this point, I hope devs ditch the vote and pick their own favourites.

Angleswings

Adventurer
I agree 100%
This was done incorrectly in my opinion (of course everybody have their own) but out of the 300 designs the DEVS should have picked 5 and THAN have the players decide on votes. someone else said this and I can confirm, I was there and I saw at least 20 accounts moving all at the same time, meaning was 1 player controlling them all and they all stop at the voting stone, just like any other Gov election, most liked Paid to Win, How come is this fair? I understand that people pay for the accounts but why someone or a guild can decide which design is best for us?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I agree with the concerns about ballot stuffing (they needed to have separate castle and keep voting, and some sort of voting oversight that timestamped votes, so that any bloc of votes for one design that happened in a short time would draw suspicion and an investigation - and have that in place without telling anyone)

But...

What was the quote from Big Trouble in Little China about "not getting it"?

It looks to me that the POINT of the contest has gone straight over the heads of many, on all sides of the debate.

The idea was that the contest was to create new variants of the keep and castle that people could use and decorate the way they saw fit, that were actual, usable, designs.

Most of the designs submitted were really nice CUSTOMS, that while they looked good, would function poorly (not to mention would not have broad appeal). The ones that functioned great, looked too much like the problematic 18x18 boxes scaled up. A prime example was that many in both categories (including at least 1 winner) failed to leave spaces large enough for easy use of things like raised garden beds and other large add-ons.

They were looking for something in between, that retained elements of the original, but were new and retained an element of "letting the end customer finish it". The concept of a "town on a castle plot" is nice - until there's two dozen identical towns on one shard, some sitting side by side!
Remember that, if you simply go with a few designs based on only looks or only utility, you WILL have an issue with the "McMansion concept", as the new designs will lose all sense of uniqueness from overuse, or get ignored from not being used. That's why this contest is going to take the better part of a year or more, in different sections, to see what works, and what doesn't. And, the Devs really do need to introduce some sort of proactive means of curtailing the "See what I can do (who cares if you could actually live in it)" designs.

Frankly, what I'd like to see is something akin to the old "Dungeon Geomorphs" mapping aids for tabletop RPGs (look up the concept). Essentially, have the floor plan of a castle or keep mapped out in 9 sections (a 3x3 sectional grid). Then have 5-10 floorplans for each of grid sections, that retained connectors to allow passage from one section to another where they meet. You pick the sections out (and their wall type) as you place them. So, for example, you could choose sections 1-3, 4 and 6 (As a phone keypad layout) to be building elements, 5 being an open courtyard, and 7-9 being more courtyard surrounded by a curtain wall (and you could choose this wall to be a log stockade wall, instead of stone), with doors set in one of the segments of 7, 8 or 9. Another person could have 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 form a cross shaped building, with 4 corner courtyards (all with door access), with or without exterior walls (and the entrance either through one of the potential doors in 8, or one in 4 or 6). You'd have thousands of potential combos, even before factoring in wall material choices, and the deco added by the owner.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Flagg I feel exactly the same I'm just slightly more polite...actually I feel very depressed about the whole thing. :(
Why? Because you didn't win? clearly we are all individual players with individual tastes. I liked the hill people keep better. That is all this proves. We do not want or like the same designs.

@Finley Grant you think your friends are not going to stick with their story. Yes Nails I went to TC and voted for yours. That's hilarious. I like your design but would never use it. if I had a castle plot, I would want a castle not a city.

@Cetric You advertised your design. Was good but did nothing for me. No need to hate on the winners.

Now you want the Devs to decide on the picks. Oh I'm sure nobody will complain about their choices.

@skett WTF would I want with a blank plot. I and >half the players have never used the granite. But clearly you want to drop some accounts. Go ahead, I'm sure your protest will go far. NOT

@GarthGrey Get over it. There will be 3 more designs for you to hate at the next patch.

I responded to multiple posts and threads so you have to read them all to get it.

@Cyrah

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:Llama Power :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Some Guild should design a nice guild house the next round and bump it to the top. Can the Fel players get 60 votes?

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? Because you didn't win? clearly we are all individual players with individual tastes. I liked the hill people keep better. That is all this proves. We do not want or like the same designs.

@Finley Grant you think your friends are not going to stick with their story. Yes Nails I went to TC and voted for yours. That's hilarious. I like your design but would never use it. if I had a castle plot, I would want a castle not a city.

@Cetric You advertised your design. Was good but did nothing for me. No need to hate on the winners.

Now you want the Devs to decide on the picks. Oh I'm sure nobody will complain about their choices.

@skett WTF would I want with a blank plot. I and >half the players have never used the granite. But clearly you want to drop some accounts. Go ahead, I'm sure your protest will go far. NOT

@GarthGrey Get over it. There will be 3 more designs for you to hate at the next patch.

I responded to multiple posts and threads so you have to read them all to get it.

@Cyrah

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:Llama Power :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Some Guild should design a nice guild house the next round and bump it to the top. Can the Fel players get 60 votes?

Does llama power include taking someone with access to 60 active accounts and asking him to vote for yours?

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The concept of a "town on a castle plot" is nice - until there's two dozen identical towns on one shard, some sitting side by side
Remember that, if you simply go with a few designs based on only looks or only utility, you WILL have an issue with the "McMansion concept", as the new designs will lose all sense of uniqueness from overuse,
I really don't think this is any worse than having few hundred identical borg cube castles sitting side by side. If your main desire is variety..wellp, castle and keep winners look very similar to the old castles and keeps from the outside. All those Fel Castle Trailer Parks having few dozen out of a hundred replaced by completely identical villages seems like manna from heaven rly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you even bother to look at the #2 Castle @Flagg and you are trying to tell us that it looks like a Borg Castle, son you need your eyes checked. That Church sitting on a 31x31 is all flash and no function.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does llama power include taking someone with access to 60 active accounts and asking him to vote for yours?
Where do you get the made up Numbers? Llama has a few accounts. I can attest to them closing accounts recently because I got a keep and a house from them. I do not know who has the 60 accounts you speak of. I put 1 of 3 votes for the winner. Used the other 2 for Keeps I liked more. Neither made the list...

And as Finley found out, you cant trust your "friends" to vote for you.

The winning Keep is a lot better than what we have. I do like the fire places the Llamas make. I have 1 in a house. Show me a castle that did not have a Fireplace in RL.

If the Llama coming to LS and encouraging people to vote made a difference, good for them. We also listed other LS residents #s for the players to choose what they prefer. There were many names I recognized from LS.

Also, if someone pays for the game, they can vote. But another thread has a theory going. Only one vote per master account. So I guess the Llama could not have used all their accounts.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where do you get the made up Numbers? Llama has a few accounts. I can attest to them closing accounts recently because I got a keep and a house from them. I do not know who has the 60 accounts you speak of. I put 1 of 3 votes for the winner. Used the other 2 for Keeps I liked more. Neither made the list...

And as Finley found out, you cant trust your "friends" to vote for you.

The winning Keep is a lot better than what we have. I do like the fire places the Llamas make. I have 1 in a house. Show me a castle that did not have a Fireplace in RL.

If the Llama coming to LS and encouraging people to vote made a difference, good for them. We also listed other LS residents #s for the players to choose what they prefer. There were many names I recognized from LS.

Also, if someone pays for the game, they can vote. But another thread has a theory going. Only one vote per master account. So I guess the Llama could not have used all their accounts.

Maybe because i have first hand knowledge of the person that did it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This contest was never about winning. It was about making a better castle and keep for everyone. Surely the people here who were only concerned about winning were the ones stood at the stone all day advertising their plots. I never advertised mine, the character that made it has a totally different name, I didn't even vote for my own because there were 3 others I liked much better. I think some people have totally missed the point of what this whole thing was actually about. :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you are telling that you know for a fact that someone cheated. Did you bother to tell UO about your facts.
I do not know anyone with 60 accounts. But, how would using your accounts you pay for to vote be cheating?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I recall someone who kept bringing in multiple accounts to vote (same time frame someone mentioned a bunch being gated in) one day stating he got paid 5 plat to come in and vote with his accounts in general chat on tc.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not know anyone with 60 accounts. But, how would using your accounts you pay for to vote be cheating?
I didn't say it would but @Cetric is saying he/she knows something that the rest of us do not and I was just wondering if he let UO know all these facts that he/she is privy to.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recall someone who kept bringing in multiple accounts to vote (same time frame someone mentioned a bunch being gated in) one day stating he got paid 5 plat to come in and vote with his accounts in general chat on tc.
So he/she bought votes just like any good politician.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:tinhat:

I offered my votes for a lot less. Got no takers.

Mine are for sale for Atl gold next round. I doubt I get any takers.

Hook me up with the vote buyer pls.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
went and looked.
i hate to admit it in public but Dot's Castle design is actually pretty nice.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not cheating neccesarily. Like someone said, they are paid accounts. But ya, someone asked the person to use their power to vote for them and they did.

Not hard considering the winning vote had twice as many as second place.

The reasoning, the person wanted their keep to win and they wanted to ensure a keep had enough votes.

No idea about Tatiana's but that ones aeful fishy obviously.

Dot Warner's might be legit. It's a pretty design, even if it's not what you'd expect. Damn pink floors tho :/

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dunno wtf ur talking about with this llama stuff

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering they admit to designing for no one but themselves, it's kind of disheartening.
We all have the same crap we have collected. We need space for the same stuff. They designed a more useful keep but kept the basic outside look. 4 towers connected by a frame. They built a plain Keep next to it to compare.

The corner rooms are a little bigger. The second floor is very open. Third floor has an open area and a large bedroom. The roof has plenty of room for display. Also has a few spots for outside display stuff.

I liked your outside design the best. But the inside is not what I would like for rooms. I would have tossed you a vote but I have no castle so decided to only vote for Keeps.

The Keep is more practical than the other 2 I liked. The hill people one and the one with all the moss and water.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Feel free to read ur pm

Need more evidence?
Llama happens to be on LS right now. We been cracking up about this. Llama has <10 accounts. Did use all to vote for the Keep. Then we added up the players from LS that we told to go vote. Like I said we gave them more than 4 numbers to vote on. (not mine) There were many names from LS I recognized on the list.
Gato made a really nice Ice Castle.

If most voted for the Keep that leaves 10 short of 61. Llama said they got some votes from Atl. and prob some random votes.

So next time someone says LS is a dead shard, go look at your Keep choice! The Llama is a well known player for years on LS.

Like I said before, The Llama went out and got the vote. We all like our own designs but we can vote on what ever we want.

The name on your "proof" is not the Llama. Llama knows that person but not well enough to PM them. It is a very popular person on Atlantic. And they have their own Design they voted on.

I really am shocked that any design won that was not from Atlantic or from a guild.

I would like to meet this single pretty female that has enough money to have 60 UO accounts. I can stop flirting with @MalagAste :heart:.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After getting over the pink floors Dot's isn't that bad compared to a lot of the others. I could always use carpet to cover the floor. There are a couple of small issues but out of the 3 I would choose hers. There were quite a few others I would have preferred since they were more open and made with the original granite so I could tailor it to my needs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Llama happens to be on LS right now. We been cracking up about this. Llama has <10 accounts. Did use all to vote for the Keep. Then we added up the players from LS that we told to go vote. Like I said we gave them more than 4 numbers to vote on. (not mine) There were many names from LS I recognized on the list.
Gato made a really nice Ice Castle.

If most voted for the Keep that leaves 10 short of 61. Llama said they got some votes from Atl. and prob some random votes.

So next time someone says LS is a dead shard, go look at your Keep choice! The Llama is a well known player for years on LS.

Like I said before, The Llama went out and got the vote. We all like our own designs but we can vote on what ever we want.

The name on your "proof" is not the Llama. Llama knows that person but not well enough to PM them. It is a very popular person on Atlantic. And they have their own Design they voted on.

I really am shocked that any design won that was not from Atlantic or from a guild.

I would like to meet this single pretty female that has enough money to have 60 UO accounts. I can stop flirting with @MalagAste :heart:.
Now that would be a shame if you ever stopped flirting... I have >10 accounts... but that didn't help me in the least as quite obviously I didn't win. Rather sad about that... but I guess I'll try again next time. Won't be using that keep though... don't care for it.

Did move a tamer to LS awhile ago...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This contest was never about winning. It was about making a better castle and keep for everyone. Surely the people here who were only concerned about winning were the ones stood at the stone all day advertising their plots. I never advertised mine, the character that made it has a totally different name, I didn't even vote for my own because there were 3 others I liked much better. I think some people have totally missed the point of what this whole thing was actually about. :(
Yes, but it is picking a new design from player submissions, and their design will be immortalized in the game so to speak. That's enough to make people want to win the contest.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The reasoning, the person wanted their keep to win and they wanted to ensure a keep had enough votes.
I wanted a new Keep too, but there is no way I want to live in THAT Keep, I would fall out of it constantly, the old one is better looking. My own wasn't even on my short-list, I picked 3 that were really easy to get around and I could have lived in happily. None of them even made the final 4 pages. In fact some of the ones that I gave a definite NO to got votes, despite having way too many stairs and doors. People seemed to be voting with no idea what was needed, not surprising since most of the voters probably didn't have a castle or keep anyway.

Yes, but it is picking a new design from player submissions, and their design will be immortalized in the game so to speak. That's enough to make people want to win the contest.
I guess greedy human nature wins out again, such a shame. :(

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess greedy human nature wins out again, such a shame. [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]:([/bcolor]
It's mix of a poorly executed contest (300 entries, thus spreading the votes as much as possible) and getting your hopes up too high. After all the mess this contest has been even before the tool was released, I can hardly feel sorry for anyone believing BS would get that thing down properly.

Also, since the publish is still to come, we haven't seen the bugs and exploits originating from BS touching this area. Or maybe QA (aka Misk logging in and out once) will catch the worst bugs this time? j/k :lol: More :popcorn: to come.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@petemage you are not wrong, the whole thing was a fiasco, I just hoped that maybe for once we would get something decent after all the time we waited. Why couldn't they have just put the whole thing in the hands of someone who cared enough to do it right? @Riyana would have done such a good job, her post was fantastic, this whole thing is just so typical of what UO has come to. I know I should just forget about it but I feel so disappointed, in the Devs, in the players, in the producer...*sigh*

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@petemage you are not wrong, the whole thing was a fiasco, I just hoped that maybe for once we would get something decent after all the time we waited. Why couldn't they have just put the whole thing in the hands of someone who cared enough to do it right? @Riyana would have done such a good job, her post was fantastic, this whole thing is just so typical of what UO has come to. I know I should just forget about it but I feel so disappointed, in the Devs, in the players, in the producer...*sigh*
I like to complete this red phrase ;) - this is the kind of behaviour that every big concern and firm in the world do - totally equal where they be - if in Germany, Europe, Asia, Australia and elsewhere in the universe. If the view only goes to the point by big managing that money makes the world go around with less personal teams the products they want to sell will be go fast on the costumers market - totall equal if they are well planned or not. That's fact - and whining after about - *shrugs shoulder* at this time would be perhaps soul-saving but would not help really. Kyronix ask for a feedback in the official forums - so plz get your change and put your critics there - and hope you will finally be listend ;) .

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the bright side, there seem to be more iterations of this ahead :)

Kel'Thuzard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, in looking through the most voted stuff, the majority of it looks like hot garbage. This is the first I've seen of any of the designs, but if this is the best the community has got and if this is what the community considers to be good design... shame on all of you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a dog ready for you and we are doing stuff nightly. You cant miss us in Gen Chat.
You are sweet ... will have to wait till next week sometime... as well work calls the weekends.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Per the latest patch notes:

Second TC1 Publish – 8/31/2018
Customizable Keep & Castle Contest voting has been completed Keep an eye on UO.com for the final selection of winners from the top 40 chosen by the players! You can read more about the tool and contest here.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Per the latest patch notes:

Second TC1 Publish – 8/31/2018
Customizable Keep & Castle Contest voting has been completed Keep an eye on UO.com for the final selection of winners from the top 40 chosen by the players! You can read more about the tool and contest here.
Lmao. Odd that they choose now to relate (or is it relay?) that information

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are y'all seeing this? I don't see anything new on my patch notes.