• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just wondering... (POLL) EM Events... do you play along?

Do you like the live EM events?

• Yeah, love them.

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • No, I dont like them at all.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Its far too much bother.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Its far too much bother.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • No, I dont like them at all.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I dont even play much (if at all) so whatever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are a bit too crazytown for me (messy), but I try.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Maybe if I catch them, but I dont go out of my way.

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as an educational study...

I was wondering what percentage of our discussion crowd thinks about the live events.

Personally, I dont do them... however I think they are a wonderful idea. Just for my play style, its far too packed with players on Atlantic, BUT its the flashing of the super-monsters that conflicts with my medical issues that keeps me away. I'm way more of a quest person. I know our wonderful game staff is far too focused on "team play"... like in the new lands. One person alone cant really do all that much. And yes, I'm a late comer to these lands and most everyone I call friends on Atlantic are not big in to team play and/or we never seam to connect in even 2 person team-ups. I used to have someone to do such things with... but like so many others... he quit. So, I tend to work far more on vendor/mall business. Give my fellow Atlantics goods they need... still be a big part of the community. I'm sure everyone knows how it is. Better then being a professional bank-sitter. hehe

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you remove the doubled up options. The pole is a little one sided.

One positive options.
Three negative options.
The doubled option was not 3 negative ones, so it was only 3 options vis the full 5. It was like a 5 star option, high to low... but I guess you couldn't see past the small error... thank you Captain Obvious.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You added more options and the poll is Negative towards EM events. Were is the middle ground? Or another positive choice.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were a lot fewer options and no doubles when I voted. Was a good poll at that time.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
on a scale of 8 to 10, how biased & bad overall is this poll.

9 is very bad & super biased
10 is super bad & super biased
8 is u do not understand the question

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Went to one tonight. So much lag I couldn't do anything but die.

This.

Prob is really this fundamental lag during these events. I mostly join, then nothing happens, then the next screen is grey. Just unplayable for me.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
All I can tell you is this :
PLEASE discourage people from going to the EM events so that ME and a few others go there and definitely get the drop then (Wishful thinking).
And : Too bad there are multi-baggers (Multi-buggers..LOL). Evidently Devs can't do anything about them, forever. Nothing we seem to do about them, including blowing that whistle..So there is cheating in the game. So what? Do we have to shoot our foot for it? Answer : Nope..not mandatory.
Enjoy playing an honest game, and enjoy the events and the EM stuff.
Also, its ok if you don't like them. :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only really play on 1 other shard... for fun... and to see how the other (Asian) side of the game works... and have vendors, and so on. Never been to an event (yet) BUT I'm building skills so I can play along on 2 levels... tamer (what is really slow building) and a mage/stealther. Its not really "new", as most little events I've caught have been very small and well populated... until the last few months where population has shrunk. However finding the event... the right time/day is a little on the hard side. Izumo doesnt have the good EM as we do on Atlantic that sets up a moongate by Luna bank that advertises the event several hours beforehand. OR... if they do... I just dont see it. BUT... when I have a more powerful tamer, I'll pay more attention. :)

I understand, on Atlantic, many active players from other shards come to Atlantic just for the events... as they do on other US shards. The spamming is horrible! You have roll-players spamming... to people crying they didnt get a rare, like a baby getting passed over for candy. Mostly, its the flashing and lag that do me in... of the actual battles. Medically speaking, its highly dangerous for me. I dont like monsters that pull victims in... who aren't even able to fight, when I try helping people by resurrecting people and pets. There is no award when people treat you like an NPC. Thus, these events dont really interest me. The massive lag? Years ago when I had a much less powerful computer I couldn't go near these events... and now I can and it still lags. hehe. I much prefer quests and/or puzzles.

So yeah… the question part of the topic got a little screwy by accident and yet some people can only focus on that. I added a few extras to get a better range, yet all the trolling is hardly helpful... or educational in trying to feel out the active player interest. I tried correcting the list and it didnt help. What can you do? Life is too short. At least some have actually given some good feedback... and I thank YOU guys.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you use the EC the whole game used to lock up every time the Boss did an area effect, the solution to this was to turn off the effect so then you didn't even know the spell went off and you would likely die if you weren't spamming heals on each other. Also you have to turn off chat completely because some players spam chiv spells over and over which causes insane lag. I had a huge ignore list from people whining about drops too...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The only option I would pick would be 'I don't go any more due to multi-boxers, spell spam and lag'.
oh they been real good dealing with the mult boxers, I have not seen any in a few months. As for myself I travel to multi shards to do events. I was on Pac last night, tonight is Sonoma. I normally run a tamer with a GD at most of these events. If these events is not your poison, then do not go to them. Yes there is lag, yes there are mean, cruel individuals at these events and I try to ignore them as much as possible. I will invis them and pets for blocking the EM's NPCs characters during the event's story. Europa is going to have three back to back events this week. All part of the story arch. I love Great Lakes EM Team, the royal spies and the RBG missions are always fun and yes I die a lot on these shards. The goblins on Chessy are Fun to see at the events there. I really like Zoogi and Sweetpea and the RP they do at every event. I know they grind their teeth watching, reading comments made at them, but they drive on they don't give up, and that is what everyone that goes to these events should do, do not give up.

If you suspect someone of muli boxing report it, I do all the time when I saw spam spells from characters all dressed alike riding swampees all moving as one I sent a report in quick. Now on Sonoma my characters are well know as tattletellers and you can see a big, a huge difference in the events on Sonoma.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't do EM events because I don't get a prize for participating this being the millenal era when I should.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
too much risk too little reward in my opinion. I never like dying multiple times due to lag and have little to no chance to actually gain anything of value.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
too much risk too little reward in my opinion. I never like dying multiple times due to lag and have little to no chance to actually gain anything of value.
Naa..The risk is nothing. So what if we die one or three times? You can get Rezzes, also you can Rez pple. The only sure way not to get anything is not to participate..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I dont see multiboxers, but of course I don't see much of anything..(lol)..But what kills me is the ginormous lagggggggggggggggg...Always..the more people the more lag. Also hard to see what you are attacking in that mess, with flopping wings all over and 50 people and their pets piled on top of something I cannot see mmost of the time. Not an easy experience. But interesting anyways. So if I got the time I try to go, at least in my one shard..

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well if there are less multi-boxers then maybe I might have another look, they were usually the ones spamming spells. Some of our guild-mates can't attend because the start time on Europa is 8.30 pm UK time so it's an hour or more later for other European players. It's just too late a start for some players who have to work next day.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I go events I just keep well out of the way until the boss spawns then jump on it.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Naa..The risk is nothing. So what if we die one or three times? You can get Rezzes, also you can Rez pple. The only sure way not to get anything is not to participate..
A lot of insurance gold in most cases. Plus the time wasted where you can actually be making real gold. I don't have much time to play because of rl and like to actually do something worth my time.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
No more disgusted by the greed and crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Being Atlantic local, the crowd and the idiots never bothered me too much.

What put me off was @Bennu repeatedly spawning the main bosses 5 screens away from where everyone was fighting spawns. I stopped counting how often I saw people saying in chat they didn't even see a boss but were busy fighting spawn. I guess its part of making sure the most drops end up at the right people.

Staying in stealth following the usual rare sellers / only popping out for the last 10 minutes of boss worked for drops, but I just didn't see any fun in it anymore.

I also been always pledging for global arcs that spawn a broader timespan than 1 hour per week, but Bonnie loves her Kindergarden.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the flippy flyers in game you can turn them off under options and then the UO symbol. No more flippy flyers.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and regarding this poll. I go to support my local government. I go to support my local EM. I go despite my desire to dissipate the cloud and put us back on earth.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I prefer old school Seer based interactions with the community to the modern cookie cutter rares grab. I find the loot piñata Em events personally distasteful. Events that involve clickies or no reward events and community based interactions are best. The community behavior of disruption at events and flipping rares ruins the program for everyone except people looking to line their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I chose the last one although it's not the right one in my case - closest though. Most of the events on my shard (LA) are on when I am on the road and cannot play. With the exception of one held last month on a Friday when I **was** home, I can't catch any.

And that last one was a tad frustrating. My poor dexer couldn't get a hit past all the flapping wings of dragons. Can we say "all kil"? <sigh> Oh well. I'll keep trying as I can hit them.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't bother with them since they have pretty much been ruined. The EM events have turned into a (for the most part) a Rares Collector/RMT cash grab. Get the drop, sell the drop for gold, sell the gold for $$$. Rinse and repeat. I know SEVERAL of the "rares collectors" who sell gold for $$$. They are pathetic and should be banned.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*wipes about 3 inches of dust off Stratics account*

This poll is horrendous, several negative options with TWO of them repeated? and literally nothing but one option to show any positivity. This is like something you'd show to kid to teach them about weighted questions and terrible formatting. I enjoy doing EM events when I can but I can't always do them because I'm an adult. And by that I mean I live in a society that no longer allows people to hold normal hours because greed and terrible decision making on the part of the older generation,

That said EM events could be improved if they actually policed people for scripting, multi-clienting, botting, and bringing ****ing dragons everywhere to try to get in the way of actual story, Oh and my personal favorite is the people complaining they are too long and they should just get to fighting. If you don't like story maybe stop cross sharding to a shard that enjoys it. The problem with EM events aren't the events it's a lot of the people who are only there for a drop and actively try to ruin it for everyone.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
EM events have been thoroughly hijacked over the rewards. The program has disproportionately rewarded disruptive and selfish behavior for years, damaging shard communities and slowly degrading the quality of the events themselves.

I believe it is fixable, but I'm not holding my breath. The EM program should be a feather in UO's cap, but at this point I believe they are more harmful than good due to corruption and mismanagement. Until and unless the reward incentive is divorced from the content/community aspect of events and rules are actually enforced, events will continue to decline.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EM events have been thoroughly hijacked over the rewards. The program has disproportionately rewarded disruptive and selfish behavior for years, damaging shard communities and slowly degrading the quality of the events themselves.

I believe it is fixable, but I'm not holding my breath. The EM program should be a feather in UO's cap, but at this point I believe they are more harmful than good due to corruption and mismanagement. Until and unless the reward incentive is divorced from the content/community aspect of events and rules are actually enforced, events will continue to decline.
Naaa..You are respectfully egaggerating..EM events are cool and they do not damage the game..They are kind of a way to get us all together once in a while..And provide some funds to the weakest ones of us.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Naaa..You are respectfully egaggerating..EM events are cool and they do not damage the game..They are kind of a way to get us all together once in a while..And provide some funds to the weakest ones of us.
If anything I am understating.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well? True of false? And this is critical to your argument.
- EM events are not overateken by multi-baggers. They are likely not. T Also he opposite has been greatly exaggerated. Also corrupt players are now being caught more than previously.
- EM events bring people together one way or another to do one common thing. Yes.
- EM events bring the hope to folks to make 100 M or whaterver by the reward. Yes.
- EM events encourage people to make chars / pets up to speed to do them thus encouraging people to use content. Yes.
- EM events cause redistitribution of gold among player base. Yes.
- EM events are usually in the form or some RP context promoting the game content one way or another. Yes.
- EM events also exist in lots of other MMO's and they seem to be doing ok overall, promoting player participation and doing higher level content.

Can you please post your arguments as to exactly how the EM events are damaging the game? With due respect I would appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I think Maker pegged it perfectly. They are fun, they are interesting. I and many others create or move characters to shards just for EM events. We make new friends and get to enjoy the creative artistry of different authors as they spin their narrative. There is nothing corrupt or game damaging in any way. Sometimes you get cool drops, sometimes you get weird drops, sometimes you get NO drops. But what you always get is laughter, fellowship and FUN!

PS In recent years, the only shard where I have experienced brain numbing lag was Alt.