• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just some thoughts from Hec...

K

KitKat

*thunderous applause*

I could not have said it better myself.

<font color=191970>The Five Sisters</font color=191970>
<font color=8B0000>Rusty</font color=8B0000>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/takethat.gif-GM swords/parry/tactics
<font color=27408B>Kit</font color=27408B>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smash.gif-miner/smith
<font color=FF8C00>Kat</font color=FF8C00>-archeress
<font color=CDCD00>Lorilei</font color=CDCD00>-bard/tamer
<font color=4682B4>Sandy</font color=4682B4>-craftswoman

E

eXcalibur

very good post Hec.... must admit I was letting some of the posts get to me.

E

Elric the Blade

THANK YOU! *leads standing ovation*

From ghosties and ghoulies
And long leggety beasties
And things that go bump in the night
Good Lord preserve us!

F

FatherPaladine

Greetings all

I am the Greatest of all lurkers. I have been lurking here for about a year, and this will be my 3rd post ever. I have been reading the previous posts on the attacks. But... there is one thing that is being sadly over looked.

We are not honoring the builders and designers of the World Trade Center. The people who built a building that could withstand the impact of 2 commercial jets and still remain standing over an hour each. How much more tragic would this have been if the towers fell right away. How many people escaped with their lives in that hour. Bless the spirit of the Towers, strong enough that they could stand that extra hour and save how many Lives?

Fear not the Dark. Fear the Evil in Humanity.
Gallen Dracos - Mage/Tamer
Ertai DarkStar - Bard
Volrath Fallen - Fencer

E

Erose K@N

Well said. We are all having a difficult time processing the events of the last 2 days. I think we all need to take the advice of Herc. and we all need to take the time to grieve. I know this has been very hard on my children, let alone me and my wife. We all need to take of each other :)

I

imported_Hecubus

Hail everyone!

For those who don't know me, I'm that guy who gives away statues on this forum. I don't post a whole lot here, maybe to give something away, lend gold/goods/services, and a random 2gp here and there. But I prefer to work, for the most part, behind the scenes.....

As I read the various threads on the board for the last 3 days, it really began to sadden me. And I don't mean all the grief we are experiencing over the terrorist attacks. It just saddened me with the various ways anger and grief were being displaced here with boardies at each other's throats, people leaving, and the general uneasy mood here.

Let me tell you folks....I love the Sonoma boards. It has given me the opportunity to meet some of the game's finest, whether they know it or not, most of the regulars here have met me in some guise or another. It has also given a much needed sense of community on our shard. And most of all, it has proven to me without a shadow of a doubt, that when I picked Sonoma as my home, I picked the BEST shard in all of UO.

I know a lot of the lurkers would agree with me on that last statement. And I am truly grateful to be a part of this shard, and to be considered friend by some of you.

It just occurs to me that people need to take a break, in light of recent events. Some of the boardies here came through in tremendous fashion, setting up events, writing consoling and uplifting posts, and continuing to stay strong and understanding during all of this...

Granted there is even one person here that severly disturbed me with a post or two, and I had to look myself in the mirror and say " Why waste my energy being mad at (name), right now I have to get myself on track. I have to do my work, and be here for family and friends who need me, give blood, prayer, and support."

And that is what I am getting at folks. UO is a game. It's a great game, with awesome folks like yourselves in it. But if you are still very angry and upset with what is going on (granted you should be), take a break. The game will still be here when you get back. And I will still consider you friend. Take your time to grieve, Lord knows I am doing the same, but don't look at this as a reason to leave the boards or UO forever, unless you really are done with both.

I for one will offer any support I can give to the people here. It's hard for me to log on and try to enjoy myself, but if I can put a smile on someone's face by being there for them, then I will most definitely do so. Never forget that you people by being here and just being yourselves, that you help a number of people without even knowing it.

God Bless America,

-Hec

D

Dor of Sonoma

So extremely well-said, Hecubus.

I thank you on behalf of Sonoma for articulating your thoughts so well. They mirror those of so many of us...

I am going to place this post uptop for awhile, lest it get missed in the chaos. I think it's an important read, and definitely worthy of reflection by all of us here.

Thank you.

~Dor

<font color=blue>The Lone Ranger</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>Guildmaster,</font color=purple><font color=red>Sonoma War Games</font color=red>

K

Krysma Doomspeak

Thk you Hec you are correct! I know I let the events of the last few days color my outlook on things! For that I appolgize to all! We as a shard and a board are better then the last few days have shown

It's Not the Creatures you annoy!!! IT's the FRIENDS you share it with!!!!

Selinar/warrior, Breeze windsong/smith, Woody/Alchemist
WNH'S RoXXoR!!!

D

DeathRage

That's very good advice. I've been away from this board for reasons you have mentioned in your post. From the looks of it, I need to stay away for a bit longer.

I enjoy being a part of this board, but the events of this past week are just too ... RL for me to deal with on this board. I play UO and am part of the Sonoma community because I need an escape from life's problems.

My only thoughts at this time are of the many people who have lost their lives and the family and friends they leave behind in sorrow.

The price of freedom was paid in full this week by civilians, emergency crews, pilots, stewardesses, Pentagon officials and many employees from other countries. I will return to this board after I feel I have adequately given my thanks and respect to these courageous individuals.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/nub/>DeathRage's NUBs - An Ultima Online Comic</a>

G

Thanks hec for putting into words what so many of us here are feeling. I've only just started posting here, although I've read the boards regularly since I moved to Sonoma from Lake Superior about a year or so ago.

I've met you in a couple of your guises in that time, and you always seem to be a calming influence :)

I'm sure I echo the sentiments of everyone here when I say "Thanks again for your wise words."

<font color=blue>Lord Joram Soulrift</font color=blue> - Tamer/Bard/Mage (Sonoma)
<font color=red>Haplo</font color=red> - 5xGM Warrior - Scythe of Redemption for the KH (Sonoma/LS)
<font color=green>Lady Xarina</font color=green> - Tamer/Mage - Prior's Council to the KH (LS)
"Cry havoc, let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

L

Lady Vixen

This was in our local paper, I been upset and busy with other stuff to get to it, But here it is;

Wish I had written this.

We'll go forward from this moment

Published Wednesday, September 12, 2001

It's my job to have something to say.

They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles
the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting
disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem
to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable . What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn?

Whatever it was, please know that you failed.
Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a
family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we
walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

IN PAIN

Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world.

You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before. But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and
monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force.

When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice. I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

THE STEEL IN US

You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.
As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish. So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started.
But you're about to learn.

John A. White
Chancellor
University of Arkansas

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.3dcommune.com/3d/gallery/Bryce/thanosm0999538094.jpg>Lady Vixen</a> GM Bard/Mage/Priestess *OTE*
Guri Tamer/Mage *Companion*
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/vixensonoma/Victoria_s_Secret.html>Victoria's Secret</a> *OTE*
Rillao Tinker/Carpenter *OTE*
Theresa Thief *OTE*