• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just returned to Sosaria

Cain

Retired UO Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking for a new shard and to try and rekindle the excitement that I had playing UO. I am hoping that Siege may give me that excitement and fear that I had back in the early days.

I will be EJ as I test the waters before deciding if it will be worth it to sub again.

1. I have never had a character on Siege so I will be starting from scratch. I am guessing that hiding and stealth are a must for newer players?
  2. I want to start out with crafting and gathering skills on this character. I know EJ really limits what can be done. Gathering is limited to the basics, what about crafting? Will I have access to all the common recipes or will that be limited as well?
  3. Are crafters viable on Siege?

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Welcome bro, you should contact NEW a guild in game that helps give people a safer start, some gear and connections. Shalimar is the GL and Magical is also an emmy either can get you started if you ask about NEW guild in genchat.

Anyways welcome back!

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am looking for a new shard and to try and rekindle the excitement that I had playing UO. I am hoping that Siege may give me that excitement and fear that I had back in the early days.

I will be EJ as I test the waters before deciding if it will be worth it to sub again.

1. I have never had a character on Siege so I will be starting from scratch. I am guessing that hiding and stealth are a must for newer players?
  2. I want to start out with crafting and gathering skills on this character. I know EJ really limits what can be done. Gathering is limited to the basics, what about crafting? Will I have access to all the common recipes or will that be limited as well?
1. Not a must but very very nice to have!
2. I have never had a EJ toon - so no clue!
3. C rafters are very viable on Siege. Start in NEW and then join GIL or NWSP
(or join the dark side with one of the VICE guilds!)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hiding and stealth are a waste of time because Pk’s will find you regardless. You’d be better off putting in some offensive skills and learning to fight. Plus if you stay in the open and talk to the pk, they may just leave you alone or even help you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cain

Retired UO Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiding and stealth are a waste of time because Pk’s will find you regardless. You’d be better off putting in some offensive skills and learning to fight. Plus if you stay in the open and talk to the pk, they may just leave you alone or even help you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I resub, I will make a fighter to go with my crafter but for now I think I just want to get my crafter going. I am not overly worried about PKs but hiding and stealth may keep my alive here and there.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. You do not need stealth/hiding. As a newer member to the shard, you'll be looking to maximize suits via imbuing/crafting. Min/max for the least amount of gold (very easy to do)
2. EJ characters are great for resource gathering. They can train all skills, and I'm pretty sure they can use all recipes.
3. I want to say... No. Siege is very community focused, and there are already a TON of crafters. Now, if you're looking to fully support yourself and live like a recluse. Then, sure. Make a crafter. If I were you, I'd invest on skills that can bring in cash/loot and buy/trade for your imbued gear. Crafting simply won't make you a living (unless your Magichands)

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
especially on a crafter hiding and stealth is wasted skill points because you won't be wearing anything irreplaceable and you also won't be leaving the guardzone much.

As others pointed out though, crafters are not that viable because most people either have a crafter of their own or crafting skills on soulstones and there already are enough dedicated crafters to provide the rest of the shard with what they need. Another problem I came across time and time again is that most dedicated crafters don't really know much about PvP or highend PvM and thus have a hard time figuring out what exact items people actually need and what mods they should imbue on them. To make it even harder for the crafters this gets even more complicated by people having different preferences for different templates etc.

My suggestion would be to make a PvM character to farm gold and buy two soulstones so you can train up imbuing and swap that with another skill when you need to make your own armor and weapons. Buy basic crafted pieces from crafters and then imbue them yourself to get exactly what you need.
If you need help with template suggestions join the public Siege discord. There are a bunch of essays dedicated to PvM templates specificly for Siege in the "How to make it on Siege" section.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I resub, I will make a fighter to go with my crafter but for now I think I just want to get my crafter going. I am not overly worried about PKs but hiding and stealth may keep my alive here and there.
Putting Hide/Stealth on a crafter will keep you alive far less time than say Taming/lore, Myst/Focus, or Archery/Tactics. don't try to hide and run from anything. it doesn't work with Monsters or players on Siege. The mobs on Siege have amped up detect it seems and they will find you quicker than a player. what we are all wanting to help you understand is hiding and stealth are wasted points on anything but a Thief/Assassin. get offensive skills and fight it out, if you cannot defeat whatever it is then just hop on a mount and hightail it for greener pastures. if you want a set of basic imbued gear to get you started just join NEW or ask around in General chat and someone will help. if you tell us where your house and mailbox, most will even deliver it. I hope you enjoy Siege and prosper here, it is the best shard IMHO.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will agree that hiding and stealth are wasted skill points on many templates, new or not. Resist the urge to use passive skills to survive. If yer not a fighter... then learn to live and escape with yer stuff. Call everytime ya keep yer goods a PvP win. ;)

If ya do decide to invest in hide/stealth, be sure to invest in two soulstones to save them on later... for when ya realize we were right.

Sparviero

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
3. I want to say... No. Siege is very community focused, and there are already a TON of crafters. Now, if you're looking to fully support yourself and live like a recluse. Then, sure. Make a crafter. If I were you, I'd invest on skills that can bring in cash/loot and buy/trade for your imbued gear. Crafting simply won't make you a living (unless your Magichands)
LOL asty ! Well i know that can sound strange but i farm me too a lot of PVM to make some money ! :p

• I have never had a character on Siege so I will be starting from scratch. I am guessing that hiding and stealth are a must for newer players?
  • I want to start out with crafting and gathering skills on this character. I know EJ really limits what can be done. Gathering is limited to the basics, what about crafting? Will I have access to all the common recipes or will that be limited as well?
  • Are crafters viable on Siege?
First welcome ! Don't be scared to try Siege... It can be hard but if you are looking for the old spirit of UO probaby this shard is the one that go nearest to the old UO !
As said by the other players, it's true being a crafter on Siege is not a fast way to make money. But all depends what are you looking for... If you plans to play just to have fun, make friends, being a part of the comunity and help others players, being a crafter give a lot of satisfaction. But keep in mind that the market is very full at the moment so probably you have to focus on something special and for a new player that can be really hard. As suggested by others, probably a PVM char with crafting skill can be a good idea. You can farm resources and ingredients you need and in the same time you can make your own suits.
If you want start as crafter, keep in mind that here you cannot sell anything to vendor so probably it's better starting with mining and tinkering so you can make your own tools and then you can train all other skills like blacksmith, tailoring, carpentry, fletching, alchemy, cooking or inscription. Imbuing is another skill very useful to train and if you have already blacksmith or tailoring, that can help you a bit to train without hunting for get items to unravel.
Remember that Arms Lore is a must for the bonus to resistance or damage increase on what you craft. So as you see probably you will need a bit of Soulstones.
Hiding and Stealth they can help you to recover your gear when you die from monsters or if you are lucky to run away from pks (if you see them in time, thing that don't happen often till you have them in front of you :p ).
So it's a your choice :)
When i started here on Siege i made a mystic mage with stealth and hiding and i have to say wasn't too bad but there are a lot of template that are very nice and on discord there are many guides write very well by Max :)
But as first thing join NEW, that will make your life easier in first period !
See you soon in game and welcome again !

Cain

Retired UO Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have decided to make a mystic mage with imbuing. I went gargoyle for the imbuing bonus and flying so I won't have to worry about mounts dying or affording an ethy. I don't have a house or mailbox as of yet because I am dipping my feet in to figure out if I want to resub or not. If you see Grape Ape around (purple garg) try and be nice and say hello with dull weapons where maybe I can live an extra day. ;)