• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just realised how the taming mastery works...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just thought I'd share this incase anyone else is as dumb as me. When you ready your pet for combat training, it brings up a cursor, i presumed you clicked on the foe you wished to do extra damage to, but no, just realised you need to click on your own pet and you get 3 awesome abilities.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
theres a taming mastery?

hahaha, j/k

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just thought I'd share this incase anyone else is as dumb as me. When you ready your pet for combat training, it brings up a cursor, i presumed you clicked on the foe you wished to do extra damage to, but no, just realised you need to click on your own pet and you get 3 awesome abilities.
2 Bushido spells running along with a honor, night site and a reflect magic.
i find that a odd mix for some reason.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 Bushido spells running along with a honor, night site and a reflect magic.
i find that a odd mix for some reason.
hmm, i like luck, i like luck a lot, so much so that i put bushido on my animal tamer for the +1000 luck from perfection.

And Petra yes i had read about the patch notes, and the wiki, however neither of which even told the player that:
a) you had to single click on your spellbook to choose a mastery. (never single clicked a spellbook before in all my 15 years of playing). I and others i played with scratched our heads for about an hour trying to figure out how to even use a mastery before giving up and asking on forums.
b) when you activate the skill it gave you a cursor and it wasn't exactly self explanatory about what you actually click with the cursor.

one cliloc would've gone a long way.

Last edited:

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It took you guys over an hour then gave up to work out how to change a mastery? Its all started to piece together now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm, i like luck, i like luck a lot, so much so that i put bushido on my animal tamer for the +1000 luck from perfection.

And Petra yes i had read about the patch notes, and the wiki, however neither of which even told the player that:
a) you had to single click on your spellbook to choose a mastery. (never single clicked a spellbook before in all my 15 years of playing). I and others i played with scratched our heads for about an hour trying to figure out how to even use a mastery before giving up and asking on forums.
b) when you activate the skill it gave you a cursor and it wasn't exactly self explanatory about what you actually click with the cursor.

one cliloc would've gone a long way.
To switch skill mastery, access the context menu on the mastery book and select from the list of available masteries. There is a 10 minute cooldown between switching masteries.
You know about context menus. Your character has a context menu, some npc's have a context menu.

The animal tamer readies their pet for battle allowing the tamer to add combat abilities to their pet based on animal taming skill, animal lore skill, and mastery level (unhides the caster).
It says you're adding abilities to the pet - therefore logically you target the pet you want to add the abilities to?

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you read the publish notes, or the wiki page: Skill Masteries | Ultima Online it will even tell you what those 'awesome abilities' actually do.
Hmmm, it may be the analyst in me, but those descriptions on UO.com are terrible. They almost leave more questions than they answer. For example, with "Combat Training", the description says it adds combat abilities based on mastery level. But then it lists three tiers. Are those tiers directly tied to mastery level? If so, at "Level 3", do you only get the third tier benefit, or all three at the same time?

I have a handful of other questions, but no time to write them up now. No fault of yours Petra, but the provided descriptions leave a lot of confusion for someone who is not yet familiar with the new system. JMHO. :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At tier one you get 'empowerment', at tier 2 Berserk is added giving you a choice of two options, at level 3 you get the third choice. When you trigger the spell you have to choose which function of the spell you're going to use, that's why there's a gump showing the three options.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At tier one you get 'empowerment', at tier 2 Berserk is added giving you a choice of two options, at level 3 you get the third choice. When you trigger the spell you have to choose which function of the spell you're going to use, that's why there's a gump showing the three options.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmmm, it may be the analyst in me, but those descriptions on UO.com are terrible. They almost leave more questions than they answer. For example, with "Combat Training", the description says it adds combat abilities based on mastery level. But then it lists three tiers. Are those tiers directly tied to mastery level? If so, at "Level 3", do you only get the third tier benefit, or all three at the same time?

I have a handful of other questions, but no time to write them up now. No fault of yours Petra, but the provided descriptions leave a lot of confusion for someone who is not yet familiar with the new system. JMHO. :)

I perpetually feel like I am speaking another language when I am reading stuff posted on uo and even on stratics! It always feels like their is just something missing in the explanation.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't feel bad, I was the same way after reading the primers.... tried and tried to use a mastery spell and was going crazy... finally had to ask someone to tell me to single click the mastery book.... and yeah I was like "single click a spell book?" would be nice if they put instruction on the first page of the book...