• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Pathetic

G

Gladius

What is? LAG!!!!

Been playing around using different computers and various local ISP, however on all shards LAG seems to be the name of the game for UO.

What gives huh? Is this what folks are paying good money for?:cursing:

-G-

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont get any lag!

Client: SA
Shard: Europa
Connection: 8Mbit/512Kbit DSL
PC: 2.6C2D, 3GB MEM, ATI2600HD, Windows 7RC

Avarage pingtime to Europa server without loss: 65ms

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Zero lag for me.

SA or 2d
Lake Superior
10mb/1mb cable
AMD 2.4 single core,4 gigs ram,512 Nvidia 9800 GT
Win XP Pro

My average ping to LS is between 40 and 65.

K

Kiminality

Lag comes in many flavours.

You have the standard low ping, which feels like you're running through treacle, with moderate-to-large pauses between when you do things, and when they happen.
Packet loss, which is indicated by large freezes, as the client waits for data packets that have been lost en route.
And system performance, which is generally characterised by choppy behaviour. In UO's case, this would be most indicated by mouse movements and animation.
Lastly, there's server-lag, which isn't something that tends to happen these days. Could take the characteristics of the first two, especially on changing areas, but with the defining part that everyone would suffer it.

From the sound of it, I'd say you have one of the first two, relating to a hop on your route to the server. Changing your ISP will only change the first few hops, and the endpoint will be the same.
Consider it like a commute to work, where you run into congestion in the last mile of your journey. Regardless of whether you drive, take the bus, or try a different route, that congestion is always going to be waiting for you.

Run a traceroute to the shard, and see which router along the way is causing the problems.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hardly get any lag, mostly because my cpu isn't as old as the game its self. Cpus are pretty much something you have to either update hardware every couple years or a new cpu every couple years. Its sad in days of modern tech that some people are still running P2's and lower with hardly a gig of memory and a graphics card designed to run games from the late 90's early-mid 2000's. causing UO to have to cater to these people.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want shiny and flashy, go play a shiny and flashy game. UO is 2D. End of story.

V

Velandra

What is? LAG!!!!

Been playing around using different computers and various local ISP, however on all shards LAG seems to be the name of the game for UO.

What gives huh? Is this what folks are paying good money for?:cursing:

-G-
what kind of system are you running?

Is it really lag, or is it a performance issue?

I ping at about 39ms to Pacific, but on my last computer I FELT laggy, picked up a new one last week and OMG it is like a completely different game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even the best computers lag for many different reasons other than the game. While it may be easy to blame EA for the lag it's more likely not their fault but your computer.