• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just my luck.re:vista/KR

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just my luck,I am finally able to spare a few hundred bucks to buy a new computer with vista installed and stratics goes down and I can't search for any tips or tricks for running uo with vista(like xp had an option to prioritize to program?) and also tips for installing KR,I have never tried kr due to my old computer lacking in specs and I really want to give it a "shot" before I make an anti or pro kr stance.

My new system is a basic compaq computer from best buy,it is a dual core 1.80 ghz processor with 1 gig ram and also a 320gig hd(yay) the HD is a monster compared to my old HD(6gig).also I got a 17" wide screen flat screen monitor.

So does anyone have a quick rundown on any tips for Vista and also I need a KR 101 lesson too hehe.

ps. the one thing that really bugs me is the "look" of my graphics,maybe it is just the fact its is an lcd flat panel monitor.it is hard for me describe but the best I can say is the text looks a little blurry to me.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Crap, another reason the Stratics problem is an issue... there were a LOT of tweaks posted on the KR forum, some of which dealt with Vista.

As for the blurriness, open up your video card's control panel and your monitor's control panel and tweak the settings. Also make sure you're running the LCD monitor in its NATIVE resolution.

Also, give yourself some time to adjust to the new artwork. Depending on how long you've played UO, you're working against up to almost 11 years' worth of mental familiarity.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the same computer/video card for the alst 7 years and been playing uo for about 5 years and so I got a lot of mental familiarity hehe. And I will check and make sure my monitor is running in its native resolution.

also is the information on the old forums lost for good?

J

Joyous2K

Crap, another reason the Stratics problem is an issue... there were a LOT of tweaks posted on the KR forum, some of which dealt with Vista.
There were a LOT of tweaks, tips, tricks, zaps, knacks, about everything. An entire culture has been washed away.

OP: A basic tip is to just play a crafter for a while, or collect a basic resource like polar bear leather. If you have a new char, play with him/her and train skills on lower level stuff. Eventually you get to learn the feel of the thing.

Also, after getting 5 or 6 macros set all at once (usually how many I set up at a time, I do waves of em), LOG OUT, and the close the client. You may not need to close the client, but I do it for me. If you think: "Oh I set these 6 macros all at once, and now I am gonna test em. Well, I tested em now I am gonna fill up my pack with resource. Now I am full I will run to bank and come back a few mroe times, and then log out." You will CRASH and your 6 macros will disappear.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR runs on both Vista and Xp without any majors problems for me (a few crashes included on both ;), there are simple tricks for me to get more stability, but first give after installing kr uo folder read and write access, so that you can patch without using it as administrator.

after installing you can start and patch normally, after patching log in and have fun, but do not change things with the memory in settings menue this may cause crashes or more crashes. if you have seriously problems with crashes you can also use only one core for kr, for me it brings much more stability. and then lets wait a new patch is planend in the near future, iam very lucky about that kr isnt forgotten.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what is the best way to download and install KR?If I remember correctly there was an issue with the latest set of downloads,if soo have they been resolved?

BTW I used my monitors menu and chose to factory reset my monitor and it seem to completely fix the blurryness but now it is alittle darker too(which I like).thanks for the help soo far,and thanks in advanced for any future help.Some excellent ideas soo far,especially about playing with my crafter first in KR just to get the "feel".

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
raider red welcome (hopefully) to the dark side.

I was in your shoes about a month ago. I run vista and i didnt do anything special. I downloaded it off the uo:kr site (i dont remember which one) without any problems. took forever, its a massive file. then i instaled it, which also took a little longer than i thought. once i had all that done i just played around with it for like four days. I havent had any major issues. A few crash bugs. one case where my toon got stuck. My advice is to adapt to the targeting system killing low end mobs before you do serious hunting.

and go to luna and kill a skittering hopper. Seriously. Its like... amazing.

If you ever get stuck or want some help with he KR guides we had on statics down, I can help you if you get stuck with gameplay issues. I'll PM you my AOL Instant Messenger name.

Happy travels!

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Raider Red,

My new system is a basic compaq computer from best buy,it is a dual core 1.80 ghz processor with 1 gig ram and also a 320gig hd(yay) the HD is a monster compared to my old HD(6gig).also I got a 17" wide screen flat screen monitor.
No idea if you can swing a little more money into your new system or not, but here goes. Although times like this... Newegg is your friend. It's Vista... you really need more than 1g of RAM. At least 2g or more of fast RAM... preferably whatever your system will take. Newegg's Memory Configurator will let you enter the make & model of your PC and recommend choices of RAM that will work.

Next video... you didn't mention what you have, so it's likely an on-board video chip (not a card). 2D will run fine with it, KR & video chips are very hit & miss... KR prefers video cards, the newer & more RAM the better (typically cards at least capable of running DX10). Recently I picked up a couple of Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 Pro w/512m of RAM for $66 each at Newegg (runs KR great). ATI 1k/2k/3k series or nVidia 7/8/9 series are your best bets, both will work with KR fine. If you have a vid card already or your on-board vid chip is in one of these series, try KR first before you pop for a new vid card... if it does, you're still going to need to upgrade that system RAM (on-board vid shares your system RAM and 1g is not enough to run Vista as well as it can with 2g or more).

Some peops will especially argue with this next suggestion, but trust me on this... if your PC has an on-board audio chip (the jacks will be next to all the others on the ATX panel on the back of the case), then buy an audio card too. No matter how fast a CPU is, sound processing uses CPU cycles and is a drag on performance... offloading the sound processing to an audio card will allow your CPU to perform better. It does help.

ps. the one thing that really bugs me is the "look" of my graphics,maybe it is just the fact its is an lcd flat panel monitor.it is hard for me describe but the best I can say is the text looks a little blurry to me.
You're probably right... the LCD monitor. More expensive LCDs have better response times and specs, but they cost a bit more. I had a 19" widescreen LCD that came with my system... it was a little blurry, not a high resolution (1440x900) for my needs, and there was a little ghosting when gaming (this LCD has a slower response). Recently with I replaced it with 2 22" LCDs with better specs... life is good again. :)

To download KR, you may want to give this a try.

If you are using Internet Explorer, install either Download Accelerator Manager (Free Edition), Download Accelerator Plus (aka DAP), or Free Download Manager. If you are using Mozilla Firefox, install DownThemAll. All LARGE downloads are susceptible to broken connections and errors (this is not just a EA or KR thing, it is a browser/server thing).

A download manager makes your downloading faster because it uses multiple connections (not just one), even if one connection breaks... the others are still going and helps the broken one to reconnect.

Also if all the connections are broken, the manager still has your file... so when the connection is reestablished, the manager resumes where it left off (you don't have to start over from the beginning again).

And most importantly, they have error correction. So as you are downloading, it scans the file for errors... if it finds an error, it re-downloads that part of the download (not the whole thing) until it is error free. So when it is finished, you have a complete and error-free file downloaded.

Next after you have installed a download manager, go to the EA's UO Large Downloads link. The first two files are KR, the third one is 2D.

Hope that helps.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had no problems installing KR in Vista Ultimate 64bit. The download and updates are very long, so be prepared for the wait.
When making macros, the developer Supreem had said to go to the options menu and hit "apply" so it saves any macros. I do this often, often, often after making/changing macros.
Setting macros takes a little getting used to, but they are quite flexable. Don't forget to right-click the macro and set a "target" (for certain spells). People forget to set them, but it tries to pick a default for ya anyway. You can set bless to target self, or cursor, or "current", for example.

Playing on your crafter is the best idea.... I did it the whole time while bugs were getting fixed. I love how a crafter can make 20 of an item in one click, or how you can also toggle the option to make those items a quest item as it makes it, one by one. Excellent for the heartwood quests. Oh, 20 basinets? No prob, toggle quest items, make 20 basinets, ..... one click!

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks guys,there is a whole lot of great info from everyone.I was kinda half expecting some smart-alec to flame mne for buying a compaq.I bought it becasue it was the fastest way for me to get an up-t-date system immediately.,I still plan on building my own compputer over the next 6 months so hopefully by christmas I will ahve an even better comp.

NOK--- Can I just install the a video card and it will "work around" the integrated video chip?and also the same for a sound card? I am broke until I get my stimulus check in in july so I got a few days(lol) to check out and look at different things.And thanks for the suggestion about newegg also about extra ram,a friend told me about vista being a ram hog.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Raider Red,

NOK--- Can I just install the a video card and it will "work around" the integrated video chip?and also the same for a sound card? I am broke until I get my stimulus check in in july so I got a few days(lol) to check out and look at different things.And thanks for the suggestion about newegg also about extra ram,a friend told me about vista being a ram hog.
Ya most systems today (depends on the systemboard), you can just drop the card in, install the drivers and it'll work. There is a chance you might have to change a jumper or a BIOS setting to put a vid card in... but these days that is pretty rare. Definitely find out what vid chip you have first though and see if it will work with KR... you might get lucky and not have to buy a vid card.

When you're ready... go for the RAM first, then vid, and finally aud. Even if you get a bleeding edge rig 6 months from now... these upgrades will makes this new sys a decent gamer for now and a great secondary sys later.

Also there is a great utility called SIW (System Info Window) over at MajorGeeks.com. SIW will tell you everything you ever need or wanted to know about your system. I use it a lot, I carry it on my work flash drives for clients.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you get to the KR Set-up, while the stratics forum tips are not available, there are several great player run sites with guides.

http://www.spellweave.com/kruserguide.html

http://www.uoguide.com/Kingdom_Reborn_Client_User_Guide

http://www.llts.org/Pages/UOKR_Client.php

Hopefully those will help, but if you have more questions, be sure to ask!
I just want to give a big thanks to all those who have helped me,especially to lucitus for pm'ing me the helping in downlaoding KR and also to Tazar for the links.You 2 have saved me a ton of grief and prevented me from pulling all my hair out :wall: hehe.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When you're ready to go a bit further and add more functionality to KR, be sure to head over to http://www.uoskins.com where several KR users have been working with the User Interface and creating their own looks and addons to the game. Myself and several others have been using the Bitter Black UI (which the latest version is 2.5a).