• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just lost 5 slot pet

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sounds like there are issues with pets being lost or going wild... Hmmm the scores of previous posts are not enough some are still in denial and think we are asking for an easy button because we do not like losing pets.

Sounds like pets need a hard core no loss system in place to fix this issue. I never lost armor or a weapon by logging off.
so you think Cerwin's pet went wild too even though he didn't find a corpse? have you actually played this game?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We can agree that pet balls, as they are, are not going to solve anything. There are too many places that they do not work in.

But every time I died in Deceit, which was over 120 times, I logged off before it died and retrieved my swampy outside. I have only died in Ice about 5 times and I do the same. One of my accounts sits at the entry so I can gate my dead toons out then retrieve the pet by logging off and on.

Devs need a stronger change with pets no disappearing or going wild. When players are not using pets because they fear that they will lose them, The game is broken IMO.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so you think Cerwin's pet went wild too even though he didn't find a corpse? have you actually played this game?
Try to read before you make stuff up.

I said lost or going wild. His may fit the lost forever category. Either way this should be fixed.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I think pets lost should be fixed, nothing to fix about pets going wild.
Then since you would enjoy it so much, we should make an exception for the wild part for you. Everyone's pets will no longer go wild due to bugs or LOS, and we will make it so that you indeed can lose your pets this way by going wild to bugs, gliches, uvenen terrain, and unexpected unintended pet boobytraps.
But for everyone else who does not enjoy pets going wild, we will try to implement a fix.
Problem solved everone happy.. :devil:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For some unknown reason they wanted to do bedlam after grizzle. Another example of horrible terrain for line of sight. And just an un fun place.
I lored the pet often to see what was going on. Was a Cu.

So I decided to test some line of sight.
When I cast and cant see the target.
1608090461465.png
Told the pet to attack he gave no message, just stood next to me.

I did not try to be out of line of sight, just playing normally in a huge mess.
I found a target that both of us gave a message.
1608090623081.png
This caused no loyalty loss.

Then I told it to attack something, It could not see it so it growled.
The pet lost loyalty and he did not show the message it is supposed to show
according to UO.
1608090802195.png
So if I would have continued telling it to attack that target it would have lost loyalty
over and over and give no message as the game is intended to give.

The pet is supposed to say [ petname] looks around desperately.

So yes we are supposed to get warnings when the pet. That message is supposed to
appear over the pet like it is talking similar to taming messages.

So, there is a bug, the game is not giving messages when pet loyalty drops.

Sad to have to prove what I already know because of all the :dunce: trolls.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
When I tried this, the pet went down to extremely happy, then I actually continued to say all kill, and the pet went back up to wonderfully happy.
But yeah I agree there is a bug not giving a message when loyalty drops. That should be fixed.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Pet might have moved a tile over and lucked out with some line of sight when the 2nd attempt worked maybe? Damn this would explain a lot of grief, even if its not a solution its something to keep an eye out for.

If the pet doesnt obey spamming all kill may not be the right way to go lol. I wonder how many times this very thing has happened and people lost pets

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
perhaps the issue is logging out with the pet on a different server, i logged out because my client froze though so i didn't exactly have a choice.
Maybe that is what pet balls of summoning are for, I personally don't understand the advantage of using a pet ball of summoning over logging out and back in. That is why i didn't have my current pet assigned to a pet ball.
No real advantage but using the pet ball is playing the game as intended. Logging out and back in is abusing a safety mechanism.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Quick comment on lost pet issue:
- This weekend, I was helping a guild mate get Trinsic voters squared away with their loyalty rating. I was using a non-tamer with an NPC vendor bought pack horse. Pack horse was full of ingots (whatever the maximum weight is - like 40K?) . There was a storm going on IRL and my power (including router) flicked off and back on. After everything loaded up again (about 10 minutes later), logged back in and Packie was gone - no where in sight. Logged in and out four or five times - followers was 0 of 5. Searched around Trinsic for a few to see if it went wild, but didn't find anything.
- Two days later, log in at Zento on this character and BOOM , packie is there - ingots and all. I logged out without stabling it or putting my ingots away, and pet remained in game for a bit while I cycled through some other characters on the same account.

Not exactly related to this OP issue, but first time I've had an odd-ball issue like this happen. Almost afraid of using high end pets at this point given the number of "my pet went poof" discussions that have popped up recently. Figured I'd post up to see if anyone had a similar situation happen.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of things people try to return pets or ghost pets.

One is go into Blackthorns Castle.

Then look in the stable there at the Bridge. I have recovered ghost pets and alive pets standing there in a pen after that.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For some unknown reason they wanted to do bedlam after grizzle. Another example of horrible terrain for line of sight. And just an un fun place.
I lored the pet often to see what was going on. Was a Cu.

So I decided to test some line of sight.
When I cast and cant see the target.
View attachment 114664
Told the pet to attack he gave no message, just stood next to me.

I did not try to be out of line of sight, just playing normally in a huge mess.
I found a target that both of us gave a message.
View attachment 114665
This caused no loyalty loss.

Then I told it to attack something, It could not see it so it growled.
The pet lost loyalty and he did not show the message it is supposed to show
according to UO.
View attachment 114666
So if I would have continued telling it to attack that target it would have lost loyalty
over and over and give no message as the game is intended to give.

The pet is supposed to say [ petname] looks around desperately.

So yes we are supposed to get warnings when the pet. That message is supposed to
appear over the pet like it is talking similar to taming messages.

So, there is a bug, the game is not giving messages when pet loyalty drops.

Sad to have to prove what I already know because of all the :dunce: trolls.
I've been playing a tamer for a few months now, and I don't believe I have ever seen the message "[pet name] looks around nervously." I also don't have sound on when I play (I apparently have noise issues and prefer quiet... don't judge), so I don't hear my pets growl. I use the Enhanced Client. It would certainly be helpful to actually see the message.

I do lore my pets often though, so I rarely get below Extremely Happy.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been playing a tamer for a few months now, and I don't believe I have ever seen the message "[pet name] looks around nervously." I also don't have sound on when I play (I apparently have noise issues and prefer quiet... don't judge), so I don't hear my pets growl. I use the Enhanced Client. It would certainly be helpful to actually see the message.

I do lore my pets often though, so I rarely get below Extremely Happy.
Yup, I have only seen it when they are really low and only a few times playing many hours. Usually its on a Triceratops or Lion when I'm trying to put healing on so I release it when it does not stick and I re-tame it over and over and don't feed it and make it unhappy like that.

I posted a Bug report. I doubt they answer. Seems they are working on NL and now they should be allowed out of the basement for a while.

fugazi70

Visitor
I was training my triton and went home and logged out
The next day I logged in and he was there. I told him to stay and I used jawbone to get to dungeon in ish to scout.
It was all clear so I ran back to my house and he was gone :(
GM said it’s lost

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep... happens. How long were you gone? Was he happy when you left?

Phreak

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have lost a couple of bonded pets after logging in, I think it has something to do with the pet disappearing and reappearing mulitiple times when you first log in.
here is the post I put on the official forums. I have not tested this lately but I would assume its still possible.

bug.PNG

fugazi70

Visitor
He was wonderfully happy when we logged out at my house
The next day I logged on and he was next to me. I told him to stay and I used jawbone to go to dungeon in ish. I snuck down to my place and I noticed it said 0/5 I thought that is weird and I went back home. So maybe 2-3 mIn round trip ?

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im pretty sure it has something to do with quick actions when logging in or out, for exemple if you use a house teleporter , it take 2-3 second to your pet to follow you with the house teleporter , if you log out during that time, the pet will stay IN the world and wanders around while you are logged out, and they loose loyalty very quick while you are logged out, so eventually it go wild and poof. Same with recall or any dungeon entrance, if you enter a dungeon entrance and crashes same thing happen.

Last edited:

fugazi70

Visitor
Im pretty sure it has something to do with quick actions when logging in or out, for exemple if you use a house teleporter , it take 2-3 second to your pet to follow you with the house teleporter , if you log out during that time, the pet will stay IN the world and wanders around while you are logged out, and they loose loyaltry very quick while you are logged out, so eventually it go wild and poof. Same with recall or any dungeon entrance, if you enter a dungeon entrance and crashes same thing happen.
I told my pet to stay tho as I was going to scout the area before getting him. And he was in my house which was public on the bottom floor. It’s a mystery but I hope they can fix it

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why are you asking about the happiness of the pet? I thought it has been established that tritons do not go poof when they go wild, they only go poof if you voluntarily release them. And he said it was in his house, so you're suggesting the triton opened the door and walked off and someone killed it?
tenor.gif

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why are you asking about the happiness of the pet? I thought it has been established that tritons do not go poof when they go wild, they only go poof if you voluntarily release them. And he said it was in his house, so you're suggesting the triton opened the door and walked off and someone killed it?
View attachment 116997

If the house was private he may have been kicked from the house when it went "wild"... though I doubt anyone killed in 2 or 3 min... But I really wish the DEVs would do something about this issue with pets just randomly going poof or going wild.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have lost a couple of bonded pets after logging in, I think it has something to do with the pet disappearing and reappearing mulitiple times when you first log in.
here is the post I put on the official forums. I have not tested this lately but I would assume its still possible.

View attachment 116988
yes I've experienced this one also, logged out in a champ spawn with a 3 slot trained prepatch vollem , came back hours later and logged in, got kicked at shrine with 0 followers. But I beleive my pet stayed in the world somehow while I was out, because when I logged in, you know you see your character in the spawn location for an half second before getting kicked at the shrine, well I never saw the vollem next to me, it was already gone, which lead me to think it was IN the world the whole time I was logged out.

Edit: I can reproduce the 'pet stays in the world bug' anytime , just use your house teleporter with your pet following you next to you, and log out real quick before your pet appears from the house teleporter, it will cause your pet to stays in the world while logged out , and they loose loyalty very quick in that state. They start screaming sentences like *seems confusingly* or something , you can watch it from another account.

So while entering a dungeon, recalling, or logging in and out so quick, theres a 2 second delay before your pet appears, if you crashes/log out within that 2 sec, it will cause your pet to stays in the world the same way.

Last edited:

Phreak

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
yes I've experienced this one also, logged out in a champ spawn with a 3 slot trained prepatch vollem , came back hours later and logged in, got kicked at shrine with 0 followers. But I beleive my pet stayed in the world somehow while I was out, because when I logged in, you know you see your character in the spawn location for an half second before getting kicked at the shrine, well I never saw the vollem next to me, it was already gone, which lead me to think it was IN the world the whole time I was logged out.

Edit: I can reproduce the 'pet stays in the world bug' anytime , just use your house teleporter with your pet following you next to you, and log out real quick before your pet appears from the house teleporter, it will cause your pet to stays in the world while logged out , and they loose loyalty very quick in that state. They start screaming sentences like *seems confusingly* or something , you can watch it from another account.

So while entering a dungeon, recalling, or logging in and out so quick, theres a 2 second delay before your pet appears, if you crashes/log out within that 2 sec, it will cause your pet to stays in the world the same way.
I have also experienced this same issue when running out of a dungeon and logging out before pet appeared. I came back hours later with a different char and my pet was there waiting, extremely unhappy.

Troy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Don't know if this was mentioned before, but be careful if you don't have real 120 in animal taming/ lore.
When you die, your taming/ lore skills drops to whatever the real skill is. Once you res, but before you re-equip your gear, your real skill may not be high enough to control the pet. Therefore, they may go poof (statuettes) since you can't control them anymore.
I heard a few stories from ppl that this has happened. That's why for my tamers, they always have real 120 in taming/ lore.

fugazi70

Visitor
Don't know if this was mentioned before, but be careful if you don't have real 120 in animal taming/ lore.
When you die, your taming/ lore skills drops to whatever the real skill is. Once you res, but before you re-equip your gear, your real skill may not be high enough to control the pet. Therefore, they may go poof (statuettes) since you can't control them anymore.
I heard a few stories from ppl that this has happened. That's why for my tamers, they always have real 120 in taming/ lore.
Ya I have real 120 taming and lore due to this issue. I just wish I knew what happened to avoid it in future