• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Just a reminder folks... drivers and DirectX

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. Make sure you have the most up to date driver for your video processor. It DOES make a difference.

2. DirectX hasn't been updated through Windows Update since about the time Windows XP was released. Most of you WILL need to go download the most recent Direct X End-User Runtime from Microsoft's web page, as they update that Direct X EURT about every 2-4 months. Getting that up to date will often have even a bigger impact than the driver.

Trust me - KR looked a 1000 times crappier than it really was, until I did the Direct X update. SA will probably have similar issues, especially for those who never tried KR (as many KR players got into the habit of routinely checking microsoft for a directX update)

O

Old Man of UO

What is the latest version of Direct X, and what is the easiest way to check our version?

C

Cloak&Dagger

That is what I was thinking...the normal command to check directx didn't work on vista...or maybe I am typing it wrong.

O

Old Man of UO

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also have Vista (harder to find things, isn't it?) anyway, poking around, would the hilighted part be the latest update to the driver?

O

Old Man of UO

Hmm.. that must be the latest version info. Mine says 10.1, and I know that I have version 10 loaded... and since you have version 9 loaded, you need to update.

I just checked Microsoft's home page, the DirectX links you to version 9.26.1590

Not sure, but I seem to recall that DirectX 10 is only included with Vista (and now Windows 1).

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, I wondered about that too, since the first page says this:

W

Wolfways

I've got Windows Vista... it's not in the system tab. But thanks to Wolfways, I did find it by typing dxdiag.exe into the search bar. My version is DX 10... wish it gave more info, such as when it was last updated.
Ah sorry about that. I know nothing about vista...actually i don't know anything about pc's in general :p

O

Old Man of UO

Ah sorry about that. I know nothing about vista...actually i don't know anything about pc's in general :p
No problem... turns out, updating Vista to the latest version isn't as easy as it should be... even determining if we have the latest version isn't so straight forward.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to advise caution in this process I think.. make sure beforehand that your graphics card and such can handle DX10 before installing it.. I haven't personally seen what can happen to a system that has it installed that can't handle it, but i'd expect it to not be pretty.