• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just a little something totally insane about Saltpeter.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... its been a little while since I messed with high seas stuff. :)

I'm trying to keep a little something for everyone, on my vendors, at my mall.

One thing... cannons and ammo, some extras for cannons... but I dont have a big stock of powder.

Seeing I cant do these massive complex Krampus quests... I sat down to make some power. I honestly have no clue HOW, but I had 3 piles in my stores. 2x 60k and 30k-ish. I burned up the first small pile right away... so I did some searching to HOW I could possibly have 2x 60k piles. I've mined a little in the last 2 months and its so slow and annoying. Maybe, just maybe, I collected 300 saltpeter in that time... so that's totally silly. Then I remembered it was sold in the Sea Market Docks. Then... it shocked me of the PRICE!

To collect 60,000 Saltpeter... it cost 12 MILLION GOLD!

What the (blank)?! :) This cant be the only way to get it in mass, right?

I see big ships all over the place and they almost have the docks blockaded as they did back in the day. So, people are just refreshing these things and not going on High Seas missions. I used to, with my uncle, and I only manufactured these things for us before. Are people still hunting on the high seas with prices like that?

Just wondering.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sail around the perimeter outside Papua all the way around and hit the mountains along the edges... You'll have more saltpeter than you know what to do with...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Aslo: Is there a way to make uo $$ by selling saltpeter to the npc's? There should be right? Esp if it costs that much to buy from them?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. You can mine saltpeter. It takes a while.
2. In dungeon shame, the ogre who guards the fence things can be killed for ingredients.

==
Also: The trade run missions aren't massive or complex.
o You need enough room in your backpack to hold a bunch of items
o You need a sextant and a ship and a "world map" in your backpack
o You need an ethereal steed or gargoyle flight (or an ordinary mount).
o You need a runebook with at least one Minister of Trade location marked.

The simplest place to start from is New Magincia.
Get the trade order.
Look at the World Map.
Start Plotting. Clear. Mark a path a ship can take from a New Magincia shore to your destination town.
Go to the tailor under the shelter in New Magincia. Buy everything you need for your trade order. Use "fill from pack" from the trade order box's context menu. Some things don't automatically go into the trade order box, so for those you open the trade order box then shift-drag the ones that didn't into the open box.
Run, fly, or ride to the New Magincia shore previously mentioned.
Place your ship.
Use the Mooring Line on the ship to step onto it. (Smaller ships can be used but may be problematic for stepping onto / off of, when the plank doesn't match the height of the shore).
Drop the map onto the tillerman.
Say "start"
You're on your way. If your ship encounters obstacles, maneuver around them (back, right, left, forward), then resume with "countinue"
Maneuver your ship at the destination.
Step off your ship, then dry dock the ship (shift click the tillerman, select "dry dock" from the context menu).
Run, fly, or ride to the Minister of Trade in the destination town.
Shift click him, and "Turn In," and select the trade box.
Repeat, to do somewhere between 3 and 25 trade runs.

Your trade box or a Minister of Trade will tell you when the Krampus has been spotted.
Cancel trade.
Go to the coordinates you were told.
Fight the Krampus and win. (It helps to have a group of people for this. If it's a small group, it helps if someone has a pet with rune beetle armor corruption.)
Sort through the Krampus corpse loot. I got a rare Greymist armor piece, and a really REALLY nice legendary kryss.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most of Ilshenar gives saltpeter. I mine almost exclusively in Ilshenar, in 2 areas (1. between Chaos Shrine, past Spirituality, through the mushroom cave, and then back out along the wall to Sacrifice. 2. Valor gate area between Cyclops and the river). Most of my Saltpeter comes from there.

As Eodon's waters count as dungeon fishing, it's likely mining there can produce saltpeter as well.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While gathering ore for the Caddalite infused stuff I set sail out of Papua and found so many Niter deposits it wasn't even funny... at one point I had 5 on my ship... had to clear them all up before I could move anymore as they were making it hard to walk the deck to mine ore... so IMO it's free and easy to find. All of Illsh counts as a dungeon so anywhere you mine there it's everywhere... free and easy to find. If the savages don't know your there (ie savage kin paint) you can mine all you want around them they have plenty of ore... and there is a gypsy bank just through the pass nearby...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having Luck increases your chance of spawning a Niter Deposit when mining in "dungeons". Hit a spot once, if no Niter Deposit, move a few tiles along, and hit once more. I usually mine my Saltpeter up in the upper level of Tram Despise (where nothing attacks me) or in the Covetous tunnel areas where nothing will attack me. Making all of the stuff for the cannons is definitely a pain in the ass.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They talked about reducing some of the ingredient requirement numbers as part of the High Seas 2.0 mentioned at the 20th anniversary, but their plans for stuff appears to be running about a year behind for non-holiday/anniversary stuff.

So, if they ever do get around to a HS revamp, it might be late 2019 or 2020.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck is the key. Also when It first came out it was cheap. A few friends and myself bought about 120k when it first hit. Now we /I mine for it. Mushroom cave is where I go