• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just a little confused to Cannon Operations/Items.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cannons... remove the large, remove the small... get fancy names. No problem.

Ammo is all the same... and thats not how life works.

Same with charges. Okdoke!

From what I understand they remove the "Swab". This is a stick with a thick "swab" of cloth on it that is dipped in a bucket of water, then used to wash out the spent powder and embers from a freshly fired cannon. Repeat "EMBERS". That way, when you push the next powder charge down the cannon... and seeing you are doing this quickly to effect as much damage as possible. The fresh charge doesnt CATCH FIRE and explode without being loaded.

This is how real life works.

Why did they remove a key piece of kit from a long historical and effective way to take care of business?

Are shops going to randomly blow up, being blown to millions of bits because someone didnt put out an ember before it falls in to the powder keg? Works for me! I love fireworks. :)

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It was a cumbersome, tedious and no one wanted to do it. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made where realism is concerned for it to be enjoyable. I for one think it is much more bearable now and I can enjoy it for what it is.

If you want realism lets make blacksmithy more realistic, lets say... 18 hours to make a single plate helmet? Naa, didn't think so.

I do agree however that there should be some differences in the cannons even if it was something as simple as increased durability or the like. Maybe even give cannon balls material bonuses depending on what ingots they are made from.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a cumbersome, tedious and no one wanted to do it. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made where realism is concerned for it to be enjoyable. I for one think it is much more bearable now and I can enjoy it for what it is.

If you want realism lets make blacksmithy more realistic, lets say... 18 hours to make a single plate helmet? Naa, didn't think so.

I do agree however that there should be some differences in the cannons even if it was something as simple as increased durability or the like. Maybe even give cannon balls material bonuses depending on what ingots they are made from.
I agree with all you said except the No one wanted to do it part. there were macros that made the firing tolerable and relatively easy. the tedious part was the making of the ammo. *rubs wrists* my hands will be aching for years.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The devs listened to feedback. They made crafting easier. They made cannons one size. Made loading fewer clicks.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do ALL cannonballs and powder charges now stack or is that just me? If not, why not since they're the same?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They said the old smalls will not stack with larges. We used those up first.

Also the cannon itself only holds 3 items. So if 3 items are in it, you can not add a new stack to the cannon unless you take that type item out. So that may make player think things are not stacking.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fortunately the pirate hunting business is almost self-sustaining. I find almost as many cannonball, charge, and fuse cord as cargo, as I use up in "scuttling" a pirate ship. I find more ingots than I need to keep my cannon in repair.

If you're a bit on the wild side, you can scuttle a merchant ship and take away bloodwood, frostwood, and um, some of the other board types too, easier than lumberjacking for them.

Fun... well, at least until I run out of charges and fuse cord and have to craft more.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do ALL cannonballs and powder charges now stack or is that just me? If not, why not since they're the same?
I'm 99% sure its always been like that.

Granted, its been some years. Perhaps 1 year after HS came out, last I hunted. The big issue with things not stacking was YEARS ago, due to lack of planning. Like, all apples have always stacked. They recolor and rename the basic apple to make "Berries" that become Savage Kin Paint (recolored/renamed honey). Both did not stack. It was such an amazing pain in the backside, however was amazing money for a budding huntress when I was a budding huntress. :) We would take in bags of berries, unstackable. Turn them in to Savage Kin Paint... and sell it almost as fast as we collected berries. This was all turned stackable years ago. Most stuff made within the last 10 years has been stackable. Dont think its been an issue... 99% sure. hehe

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is how real life works.
you want them to add more realism?
Besides the fact that realism in a game with magery etc. is a somewhat problematic request, let's see what else this would mean:
Galeons would require a crew of 20+ to be operated.
Getting the ship ready to sail would take several dozen minutes, the starting speed would be very very slow and taking additional minutes to go to full speed, strength and direction of wind would have a huge impact...

Need I continue?

The devs streamlined a tedious process that was very annoying to many players and made it more enjoyable for the masses. I fully agree with their changes.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Besides the fact that realism in a game with magery etc. is a somewhat problematic request, let's see what else this would mean:
Getting the ship ready to sail would take several dozen minutes, the starting speed would be very very slow and taking additional minutes to go to full speed, strength and direction of wind would have a huge impact...

Need I continue?

The devs streamlined a tedious process that was very annoying to many players and made it more enjoyable for the masses. I fully agree with their changes.
More argumentized trolling. Do yourself a favor and just dont open my threats or feel some kind of burning need to make yourself look smart with a smart-ass comment.

The system HAD been more real enough. It doesnt take anyone any more or less time to work cannons and make sure they dont blow up.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so taking what you said seriously, following your own logic and offering a counter argument is trolling... interesting.

From this and other posts you made my impression is that to you anyone who does not agree with you and posts accordingly is considered a troll...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Now yer trollin'... ;)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards

Need I continue?

and you could only move with the wind not against it, would be really hard to tack back with no wind blowing

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She should ignore all of you trolling posters. Disagree and have proof = troll you waffles!

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some NOOB asked if we are getting a new pet.

Someone replied:

upload_2019-3-25_16-13-59.png

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
More argumentized trolling. Do yourself a favor and just dont open my threats or feel some kind of burning need to make yourself look smart with a smart-ass comment.

The system HAD been more real enough. It doesnt take anyone any more or less time to work cannons and make sure they dont blow up.
out of curiosity is anyone who points out your logical errors "trolling" in your world or just that guy?

at any rate, why not start with complaining that RL boats aren't carried in your pack?