• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Just a heads up

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a guy on Atl trying to sell the new phoenix boots who i believe is trying to scam people at the bank. He wanted to sell them for 525 mil. I said done that's a deal I will buy them, let me grab Nabin, Nails, or Decadence to broker for it. As soon as I mentioned a broker he got really really shady. He just kept saying that "he doesn't know any of them and since he can't kick them in the balls he wont hand over the boots to a broker"..
He also apparently has been playing on Atl for over 10 years and yet somehow doesn't know who Nabin is.
I think the entire UO world knows who the great Lord Nabin is.
He wanted all the money up front and then he would hand them over.
Later on I found out that several other players attempted to buy them aswell. Who all received the same exact lines of BS.

I know most in these forums don't need tobe told. But just wanted to throw out a heads up on being careful on buying the boots.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a guy on Atl trying to sell the new phoenix boots who i believe is trying to scam people at the bank. He wanted to sell them for 525 mil. I said done that's a deal I will buy them, let me grab Nabin, Nails, or Decadence to broker for it. As soon as I mentioned a broker he got really really shady. He just kept saying that "he doesn't know any of them and since he can't kick them in the balls he wont hand over the boots to a broker"..
He also apparently has been playing on Atl for over 10 years and yet somehow doesn't know who Nabin is.
I think the entire UO world knows who the great Lord Nabin is.
He wanted all the money up front and then he would hand them over.
Later on I found out that several other players attempted to buy them aswell. Who all received the same exact lines of BS.

I know most in these forums don't need tobe told. But just wanted to throw out a heads up on being careful on buying the boots.
So he is still at it...

http://stratics.com/community/threads/beware-warning-red-alert.298465/

Exploit_SX

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You beat me to it. I was just about to make a post about this guy. Please people do NOT buy any highend item's from anyone without a respected, and trust worthy broker unless brokers are willing to vouch for the seller. Even then still be VERY CAUTIOUS I'm tired of seeing people get scammed by morons like this reject selling the boots. Please be more careful people! There's absolutely no reason for this guy to be able to scam anyone what so ever!

If everyone follows the information in this post while buying, no one will ever fall victim to a scam like this:
http://stratics.com/community/threads/guidelines-for-safer-trading.231250/

Last edited:

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Aye, I told him to look up my rep, and he said he wouldn't trust me, so I told him he could choose any reputable broker if it would make him feel more comfortable using a 3rd party, and he refused that as well. He kept saying we could do half and half etc, highly suspicious! Please beware!

Matty O No

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Def a scammer, I spoke with him for a bit. His kick in the balls quote is funny cause I saw him say it to a few peeps.. When I asked if he was close enough for me 2 kick him in the balls after he walked away with my $ he stopped talking to me. Also he knew there was an auction thread with a 700M reserve but claimed he didn't go on statics.. So I say hi 2 the who shall not be named, I am sure ur reading this.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You know whats funny about all this ****.. you people are claiming ghosts as scammers yet letting people who are proven scammers run amok on these forums.. ****ing idiots

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know whats funny about all this ****.. you people are claiming ghosts as scammers yet letting people who are proven scammers run amok on these forums.. ******* idiots
Maybe this is what is needed in Athelas' thread.

Instead of bickering about what the forums SHOULD SELL. Maybe you guys could look into.. umm.. making a permanent IP address ban for those who have scammed.....

Just a thought....

The NUMBER ONE thing I hate the most.. is a scammer... and Deaol is right... to knowingly... let a scammer loose on these boards is F_____G stupid.

Not trying to offend any admins or anything, but it is sending a VERY graphic image when scammers can 'walk' free on these boards. Make new stratics accounts, scam again... and nothing happens.

Last edited:

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You know whats funny about all this ****.. you people are claiming ghosts as scammers yet letting people who are proven scammers run amok on these forums.. ******* idiots
We really don't want to let scammers run amongst us, we are not allowed to put out information. I collect info on scammers though, and a lot of people will icq me asking about so and so before a deal, I also encourage people when they are unfortunately scammed, to give me as much info as possible, and I add it to my notes, to try and protect others.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
We really don't want to let scammers run amongst us, we are not allowed to put out information. I collect info on scammers though, and a lot of people will icq me asking about so and so before a deal, I also encourage people when they are unfortunately scammed, to give me as much info as possible, and I add it to my notes, to try and protect others.
That's great, note taking and gathering of evidence is a time proven testament of countless positive lawful societies. Now with thus evidence.. speak out, share it with the rest of us. Steps need to be taken.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing is.... we experienced collectors know who to stay away from... currently.

But.... new collectors don't. I thought our whole goal, as a community, is getting new collectors involved. If they are new to stratics... how on earth will they ever know who to stay away from? What is to stop a well known scammer from taking advantage of this new collector.

This new collector.. was me when I first joined stratics. He was selling items in a thread... not once did someone say "Watch out... be cautious"... I PM'd him... wanting to buy this specific item. We made the arrangements.. I figured people in the Rares Community had good reps... since they ARE dealing with rares. And the fact no one even bothered to warn me. I payed the gold... NEVER got my item. After the fact.... that was when I found out he was a well known thief/scammer.

I wasn't as rich as everyone else here... I'm still not rich as everyone here. I still think 50-100M is a lot of gold... while everyone else here thinks 1bil is chump change. When I got scammed... I almost quit collecting.. in fact.. I almost quit the game, because I had lost so much money I worked hard to get.

This is why I am HIGHLY against letting well known scammers roam stratics at their own will. Ban their IP Address permantetly... problem solved.. for that scammer.

If I had gotten warned, or the scammer banned.... I wouldn't have lost so much money... and could have potentially quit this game as a whole.

Last edited:

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry that happened to you, if I see a known scammer, then I will post something, like Nabin said, icq me for info on this char, however, as they change their name over and over, we don't always realize its a scammer that is posting. I hate to say this, but banning the ip address won't work. There are many free browser based VPN IP hiding programs out there, and these scammers know this and use it.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
To add to that, it may give people a false sense of security, thinking that a scammer's IP was banned, therefore he is unable to return...

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Look, I was the one in the link that I posted that was robbed of 250 mil. I knew full well the risks of doing this type of transaction, and honestly expected this as a possible outcome. I have done business of this kind before on many occasions with strangers who later became friends.

Bottom line is that these forums do not allow us to name names. As much as I do not like it, these rules actually foster an environment where the dirt bags win.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Look, I was the one in the link that I posted that was robbed of 250 mil. I knew full well the risks of doing this type of transaction, and honestly expected this as a possible outcome. I have done business of this kind before on many occasions with strangers who later became friends.

Bottom line is that these forums do not allow us to name names. As much as I do not like it, these rules actually foster an environment where the dirt bags win.
Friend, I kindly disagree. These forums do not foster an environment where Dirt Bags win.

The lack of common sense and the rush to secure an item before someone else without using a broker or known secure method of trading does.

The guide to safe trading is clearly stickied above.

If you are an experienced trader and decide to take a risk and get screwed really you only have yourself to blame friend. It's not the forums fault.

We all assume our own risk from time to time. Sometimes we get scammed, sometimes it went well.

None of us are above using a broker from time to time.

I am not supporting scammers with these statements

Just saying take some ownership!

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Friend, I kindly disagree. These forums do not foster an environment where Dirt Bags win.

The lack of common sense and the rush to secure an item before someone else without using a broker or known secure method of trading does.

The guide to safe trading is clearly stickied above.

If you are an experienced trader and decide to take a risk and get screwed really you only have yourself to blame friend. It's not the forums fault.

We all assume our own risk from time to time. Sometimes we get scammed, sometimes it went well.

None of us are above using a broker from time to time.
Nabin, my experience aside. Let me explain..

When a whole rares fest was being fleeced, and those who knew what was going on, and who was doing the stealing... could anyone post their name? NO, the rules don't allow for it.

When a person is executing a well known scam on multiple shards, are we allowed to post names?

When a person steals real money from players who post here, can we discuss it and name the people who are involved?

Again, I am not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but don't cheerlead for the rules of this site. You are in the wrong if you do so.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Nabin, my experience aside. Let me explain..

When a whole rares fest was being fleeced, and those who knew what was going on, and who was doing the stealing... could anyone post their name? NO, the rules don't allow for it.

When a person is executing a well known scam on multiple shards, are we allowed to post names?

When a person steals real money from players who post here, can we discuss it and name the people who are involved?

Again, I am not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but don't cheerlead for the rules of this site. You are in the wrong if you do so.

I understand friend. I am not cheer leading. Just saying we all accepted them when we logged in. We also all know how to leverage them to deal with these situations as a community.

In addition there are other places we can all communicate the real deal like uoforums who does allow total disclosure if you follow the proper rules.

http://www.uoforums.com/report-scammer/

At the end of the day we each do need to take ownership of our choices. The choice to make a deal with an unknown entity not using a broker or other safe method leaves us no place to blame anyone else but our self.

Heck I would trade with you all day long with no issues, but someone I have never heard of, No I would either access the risk and decide to use a broker or not knowing full well that I am on the hook for the results of my choice.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Personally I like to turn the times I get scammed into Player events that have a reward for the return of my items. :)

A player event allows you to state a few things that are not allowed in a scammer thread. Let me find and example one sec

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand friend. I am not cheer leading. Just saying we all accepted them when we logged in. We also all know how to leverage them to deal with these situations as a community.

In addition there are other places we can all communicate the real deal like uoforums who does allow total disclosure if you follow the proper rules.

http://www.uoforums.com/report-scammer/

At the end of the day we each do need to take ownership of our choices. The choice to make a deal with an unknown entity not using a broker or other safe method leaves us no place to blame anyone else but our self.

Heck I would trade with you all day long with no issues, but someone I have never heard of, No I would either access the risk and decide to use a broker or not knowing full well that I am on the hook for the results of my choice.
1) stop calling me friend - it creeps me out.

2) I posted and identified myself as a victim only to reveal to the "community" how this can happen. I think we all know that using a broker is the preferred and safest method of dealing with large trades.

3) By identifying myself, I am pretty sure that I know where blame is to be placed, and am willing to talk about it in a public forum. If you would like to use this as your opportunity to re-enforce how important it is to use a broker in order not to get cheated, I will take this opportunity to remind the public how much this "community" can be trusted :) Yourself, and your peers included. How much are you selling gold for these days anyway, Nabin? Are we under $0.25 yet?

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Bah :yell: , sorry I don't like when the blame is placed on the victims and not the perpetrators >_< Victims wouldn't have to do A) B) and C) to protect themselves if jerk heads would be considerate and not scam! ITS THE SCAMMERS FAULT! And I for one have been scammed by people I had done business with in the past, and who delivered up until the day they decided to walk off with my money! Sometimes trust is earned, and then it is smashed in your face! *sigh*

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frankly, someone shouldn't need to get a broker just to do a trade in game.

Of course, there will always be people who look to gain advantage over people, so its kinda sad UO after 15 years doesnt have a better trading/gold system.

Whats even sadder, is that with the firing of Phoenix, we may never see the new currency system.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just like any community there are all kinds.

While it sucks, It is reality and we are each accountable for our own decisions.

Utopia does not exist in any open community we choose to participate in .

Best to be prepared and work smart

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off, thank you to the OP for not mentioning names. Kudos +1

My post in the other thread pretty much expresses my view on this.
http://stratics.com/community/threa...saction-sections-need-real-modertaion.298942/

If people would help educate folks on protecting themselves, scammers wouldn't be an issue.
If people would stop taking chances by the lure of great profit or a high-end item, scammers wouldn't be an issue.

I hate scammers. Often times if I feel personally convinced someone has scammed/hacked someone or duped, then I won't deal with them as a collector. Keep in mind in most cases, I don't take people's simple word for it. I've seen too many high profile, respected people turn out to be folks who turn out to be scammers, dupers or something else. I've seen folks scream scammer when an item wasn't sold to them, there is a miscommunication between the parties, they don't like that person's opinions/words or they haven't interacted with them before. Scammer is thrown around as an insult or a way to damage a reputation without the person haven't actually scammed anyone. When I was in school, some words held meaning and if you called an individual that, it was serious. Now I hear kids, even in elementary school using that same language in every other sentence. Those words, much like scammer, has been so misused that it no longer holds true weight in most instances. As much as we love identifying the scammers (myself as a player, included), it doesn't fix the problem. If we could educate everyone, than they'd have no victims. Scammers and hackers can't do anything unless the other side makes a mistake. Sometimes that mistake is trusting them, but a mistake is still made. I encourage everyone to reach out to other players, new ones included, and get to know them. If something happens and you feel strongly about telling people they are a scammer/hacker, than do it on ICQ. If you folks talk to each other and teach each other what to look for, people will be a lot safer.