• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jog my memory? detect hidden?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a crate thief on Siege, her template is:
100 stealing
100 hiding
100 remove trap
100 lockpick
100 detect hidden
80 stealth
75 ninjitsu
65 magery

Someone give me a clue why I took detect to gm and didn't lock it at 50 when I don't use it to look for people, only chest traps?

E

euhemerus

I play on Oceania shard, and I was wondering the same thing, I have just recently come back after a while away, and saw that my thief was GM Detect Hidden.

Is it worthwhile having?

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since no one else has replied, I can only make a guess.....

Having GM detect makes it harder to be stolen from.

It might also have been something to do with the old chests and how many traps were placed on them. I seem to remember, that unless you had GM detect, back in the day, you might only see one trap on the chest, where some had multiple traps placed on them.

Might have also been used to detect if someone was in your house. Just to stop the house thieves. Your char would have to be pretty old to remember the days of non secured housing.

As to the question of being worthwhile....
I guess that would depend on what you plan on doing with your char now. The most useful thing for GM detectors is in factions or at IDOC's

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't remember, but I must have had a reason for it. Maybe you can't remove traps unless you can detect them?

Mostly she'll be opening paragon chests for the hubby I think, and stealing statics. remove trap is more useful on Siege where you can't 'shake' a chest to spring the trap.

C

Cruxshadow

Having GM detect makes it harder to be stolen from.
???

I've never heard of this. Do you mean 'harder' by revealing thieves, or actually makes the stealing skill less effective when used on a GM detective? There are plenty of detectives on Siege, and i never have problems stealin from them.

explain yourself! lol

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By revealing thieves. Either before the steal or after as they were making the get away. It was something folks put in thier templates to help deter thieves back in the old days. Now a days I think your detect hidden skill might also increase your passive reveal, but I would have to do some research on that.

Q

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a vague memory of locking the skill at 50 and then having to re-think, unlock it and train it up. The only thing I can think of is maybe I couldn't remove high level traps if I hadn't the skill to detect them.
While Quenchant's info may be right, it wouldn't have had any bearing on my reasons. I'm not concerned about protection from thieves. They're a fact of life on Siege. I either just shrug it off and replace, or try to ransom my item back by offering a 'finder's fee' for my 'lost' item. I'm no fun to steal from since I've no fighting skill and therefore won't chase them.
Also, there is no passive detect on Siege.

C

Cruxshadow

lol awww, dont feel like your no fun to steal from. if you carry good loot then we'll have a blast! lol, I enjoy the chase when its an item i dont really care too much about, but when its an OMG!!! SNAG!! item, sometimes i like the clean get away lol.

Quent- i understand what you were meaning now. ya, being revealed suckss, but if your lucky, the mark wont even know your there until its too late. and one i got your item in my bag, you can reveal me all you like. im just gonna rehide or throw on some invis jewls hehe. and ya, no passive reveal on siege (thank god).

C

CroakerTnT

Maybe you did it for symmetry?

I had no good reason to take my stealth to 120, or my stealing past 110....

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you did it for symmetry?

I had no good reason to take my stealth to 120, or my stealing past 110....
120 Stealth makes it possible for you to get EQed and hit my fields and not be revealed.. 120 stealth is bad ass. 1110 stealing and even 120 stealing is extremely usefull for factions. If you go into stat with 120 stealing you still have 80 stealing to steal the sigs. And since you're 120 stealth you have 80 stealth and 80 hiding so its possible for you to keep sneaking back into the base and try and get or get into the position to get the sigils.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Stealth makes it possible for you to get EQed and hit my fields and not be revealed.. 120 stealth is bad ass. 1110 stealing and even 120 stealing is extremely usefull for factions. If you go into stat with 120 stealing you still have 80 stealing to steal the sigs. And since you're 120 stealth you have 80 stealth and 80 hiding so its possible for you to keep sneaking back into the base and try and get or get into the position to get the sigils.
Now who would be silly enough to turn right around and try to get into a guarded faction base with no pots, no trap box, in skill loss, immediately after being cornered and killed.... sometimes even before their HPs have regened....

rolleyes: