• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's XP PatcherdaY!!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I logged out of UO about an hour ago, and Windows told me there were new updates...

So, I go to Windows Update, to see what they are.

Along with the usual monthly malicious software removal tool, I see

WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3!

I've installed it - now to see if some of these odd issues I've been having off and on are addressed by it... My new computer SEEMS to be running a little fast with it, at least...

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least your rebooted back up! The wifes new Compaq decided to toss a hissy on the reboot & monkeyed up the registry :eek:. Kept rebooting half way thru the start up & finally got it into safe mode, once I did that I had to go back a few days on the System restore to get it up and running. Seems ok, but only a lil time will tell if it's right. So the rest of my 5 Xp computers will sit for a spell before they get the upgrade. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Compaq... probably explains it... I updated 3 computers between 3 & 4 tonight... The new (6 months old) Dell and the 7 year old Gateway (That was an ME machine originally) handled it very well, while the 4 year old HP crashed 10 minutes after reboot, when I was unzipping some files I'd gotten from a torrent a few days ago (though it worked fine after another restart).

HP/Compaq has a nasty tendency to monkey with their computer settings to try to encourage people to by new machines instead of upgrades; starting with the old machines that had part of their BIOS ON the hard drive, up through the Python crap that keeps you from changing your board or processor (even with an identical model), resulting in an error that refuses to let you boot up as an "anti-piracy" measure. (If you ever run into this, you'll have to delete the run.py file from the hp/bin/configcheck folder or its Compaq equivalent).

Note that if and when you do install SP3, let the computer sit running for about 10-20 minutes on reboot - several command prompt windows pop up during the install process, that might mess up the whole thing if you close them before they close themselves. Typically, the sign that it's done is that your security software initializes after being suppressed for the duration of the install, and all the prompt windows are gone.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, HP/Compaq trying to take shortcuts by installing software images on their AMD desktops that were made on and for Intel processor machines, and having the intel info causes the upgrade to try to boot the AMD processor as an Intel - something Microsoft warned them about with SP2, and asked them repeatedly to not do, according to related articles on that link. I wonder.... could this be class-actionable, given that Microsoft told them not to do it, yet they sold computers for 4 years after that warning with the very same flaw?

Snakeman, look up Microsoft knowledge base KB888372 article, which was written for when SP2 had the issue, and was updated for SP3. It will tell how to fix it. If any of your other machines have Intel processors, you can go ahead and run the update on them; it's the HP/Compaq AMD desktops that have this issue (and one specific ASUS motherboard has a different issue, but it's unlikely you have one of those)

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, the other 4 of 6 are all Intel Dells, about 2 yrs old. The Compaq is a Dual core 64 AMD & my own is a AMD 3000+ & if I remember correctly which I'll look for I built it back 3 yrs ago with a ASUS board I think, So it looks like SP3 will only be installed on my 4 Intels & leave the AMDs alone til either a correct patch comes out or just not do them at all. Ty for the Info guys & Gals, Much Appreciated :)

C

Connor_Graham

Yup, the other 4 of 6 are all Intel Dells, about 2 yrs old. The Compaq is a Dual core 64 AMD & my own is a AMD 3000+ & if I remember correctly which I'll look for I built it back 3 yrs ago with a ASUS board I think, So it looks like SP3 will only be installed on my 4 Intels & leave the AMDs alone til either a correct patch comes out or just not do them at all. Ty for the Info guys & Gals, Much Appreciated :)

I guess I won't even try on my computer then. I've got an AMD myself and have enough problems with Microsoft crap causing random crashes without adding to it.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. SP3 has problems with AMD processors (they constantly reboot). The other critical hotfix is for the Jet engine. There's also a hotfix for Defender, Live OneCare, Antigen, and Forefront Security.

T

T_Amon_from_work

I logged out of UO about an hour ago, and Windows told me there were new updates...

So, I go to Windows Update, to see what they are.

Along with the usual monthly malicious software removal tool, I see

WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3!

I've installed it - now to see if some of these odd issues I've been having off and on are addressed by it... My new computer SEEMS to be running a little fast with it, at least...
At work, we've had some issues with XP/SP3, so until they're ironed out we're hanging with SP2. I have SP2 at home but intend to update tonight. I think the work stuff is due to the massive amount of apps anyone can access as well as the virtualization technique used on some. <shrug>

T

T_Amon_from_work

Yep. SP3 has problems with AMD processors (they constantly reboot). The other critical hotfix is for the Jet engine. There's also a hotfix for Defender, Live OneCare, Antigen, and Forefront Security.
Should I not update with SP3 then? I have AMD Athlon XP 2000+ at home. Right now I sometimes have the system reboot for no reason and some other wierd stuff with the mouse.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The AMD issues, accoding to reports, are specifically tied to certain items.

1. Hewlett-Packard/Compaq AMD machines, where the company tried to cut corners by making ONE install image to use on BOTH Intel & AMD machines (which everyone from Microsoft to Intel & AMD have said is a BAD IDEA). HP was told to NOT DO IT when the EXACT same issue occurred with the jump from SP1 to SP2, yet they persist to this day to do it, resulting in the issue coming back in the SP2 to SP3 update.
Quote:
According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate issues. One affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard Co. "The problem is that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers," said Johansson. "Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same, all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality."
Running the intelppm.sys driver on an AMD-powered PC isn't normally an issue, but on the first reboot after a service pack installation, it causes "a big problem," Johansson said. The machine either fails to boot or crashes and immediately reboots.

2. ONE Specific model of ASUS motherboard is having issues.
Quote:
The other problem, according to Johansson, also seems to affect only AMD machines, and involves an error message indicating trouble with the PC's BIOS. Johansson said that the ensuing recommendation to update the BIOS is "most likely not your problem," but said that the problem may be isolated to a specific motherboard. "Possibly, it is related to computers with the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard in them," he said.

For HP/Compaq AMDs, simply disabling the intelppm.sys driver (and I'd remove it from the computer, as it will not affect an AMD machine in the slightest, and prevent accidentally re-enabling of it) will fix the issue, before installing SP3.

If your AMD machine isn't from HP/Compaq, search for this driver, and make sure it is not present or disabled, before installing SP3.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Luckily for me, I had just finished partitioning, formatting, and defragging my pc and then reinstalling the OS again when I loaded up Microsoft Update right away to get the updates done before I install any games and there was SP3! I was like woah! Sweet timing! Sure enough, my system has been very stable, much more than it had been before the fix. I had a corrupted OS install before, which I blame on the many many updates.

I think installing it fresh and right away on a clean OS has something to do with how well and crash free my PC has been since the resurrection.

I do need a new Vid Card again I fear, had a video card related crash though, but only 1 crash so far!

*Orvago cheers, knocking on a nearby wooden bookshelf*