• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's Up...

E

Eslake

... and it's not good news for gardeners (IMO).:talktothehand:

http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday121.html

Oops. Didn't see the post below. Just ignore.
So the only thing preventing the plants being a seperate crossable set from the old ones is..... *drumroll* they don't seem related.

And water plants are related to tribarrel cacti and palm trees? :coco:

What a shame to waste the effort of adding them when nobody will be growing them after a month. Without resources they are only good for deco, and how many banana plants would one ever use for deco?
Those who want them will collect seeds once, grow the plants, and then they will be right where Bonsai are now.
*sigh* a shame.

F

Flora Green

I agree, Eslake. A real shame and waste of time/effort. The excuse to not allow them to self seed is garbage. As gardening is the ONLY thing I personally do in game now, hunting is 100% NOT an option. Why can't any one person on the dev team realize that not everyone in this game wants to kill monsters?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always seemed to me that the endgame of a gardener should revolve around building up a seed bank.

Here's an idea for a two-stage endgame for uncommon/rare growable resources:

Have rare seeds available (somehow) that are "a mystical <color> <plant>" (randomly selected color/type) which can cross-pollinate as if they were normal seeds with one exception. If crossed with an ordinary plant of the exact same color and type, they produce "magical seeds" that when grown produces no seeds, but rather the rare plant type or a rare resource.

This means that to play the endgame you grow two generations of plants: one to find which normal plant you need, then another to cash in your reward.

F

Firedutch12

What are the creatures handing them out? I read the hints but havent hunted yet to see....is this posted somewhere?

E

Eslake

What are the creatures handing them out? I read the hints but havent hunted yet to see....is this posted somewhere?
They aren't going to be put in until the next publish.

I have my guesses as to what the will be.
Ilsh karma-sensitive creatures means either Unicorns or Ki'rin obviously. I'm guessing Ki'rin.
Bug-type : Solens
Dispise(and other) : Earth elementals
Arachnid : Miasma
Twisted Weald : Swoop
And if the last 2 are correct, expect to see some major noise from gardeners being forced to fight semi-peerless creatures for non-combat game activities.
(Buy them blah blah. That is about the lamest argument...)

The compact-sized creature .. birds and sewer rats are as small as things get, and since logic would suggest birds, I'm going to guess they put them on the rats.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a shame to waste the effort of adding them when nobody will be growing them after a month. Without resources they are only good for deco, and how many banana plants would one ever use for deco?
Those who want them will collect seeds once, grow the plants, and then they will be right where Bonsai are now.
*sigh* a shame.
It's a freaking sub/mini game... what the hell is wrong with you?

So keep holding your breath for it to sustain entertainment value for years and years... seriously?

Be glad they did something nice for you gardners in the first place.

God you people are petty little bastards at times. I think it's neat that they added some spice to the gardening game.

Thank you Devs, nevermind these ingrates.

S

Sarphus

Why is it a big deal for non-combat items getting their raw materials from combat? Sourcing raw materials for craftables, plants, etc closes the loop, which improves player interactivity.

You don't have to kill stuff to get seeds... you can buy them from someone who did.

Dragon scales and high-end leathers come from monsters. I think having the resources drop off monsters was a great idea.

I really don't think seeds are going to be that expensive and the prices you can sell grown plants for will almost definitely give you a sizeable markup.

Also, the first reason given for why you can't cross polinate the new plants is that it would take a longer time to do that. Sure, they bumped back the publish, but wouldn't you rather the devs be done with this system and be able to allocate devs on other new content? I sure would.

I really think the devs made the best choice with how to do the plants. I actually prefer the way they're doing the seeds to the cross polination system. I think the new system encourages more people to give gardening a try because the system is generally simpler.

S

Sarphus

So keep holding your breath for it to sustain entertainment value for years and years... seriously?

God you people are petty little bastards at times. I think it's neat that they added some spice to the gardening game.

You can some people happy with most changes... you can never make everyone happy.

I agree with you, though. I'm really impressed with how much work the devs did on gardening! It's such a small part of UO. It's silly that people are complaining so much over such a great improvement for gardening.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it a big deal for non-combat items getting their raw materials from combat?
I think you're missing the point of what the pro-pollination lobby wants: it's not getting the seeds in the first place, its the feeling that there is a self-contained little endgame of cross-breeding. Monster-dropped seeds just bootstrap the starting gardener.

"Get seed - grow seed - done" is not as fun as exploring how a whole space of how hybrids works - it's not so much about scarcity as it is about the great big logic puzzle of cross-pollinating where each move takes you two weeks to make.

Now, that having been said I haven't done much more than some random hobby gardening myself, although I do dream from time to time of building a great huge seed bank. I'm certainly looking forward to pulling out an alchemist and setting out to discover what's out there. I appreciate that this is happening and that an effort was made to explore the possibilities even if a simpler system in the end was chosen for this round.

I think gardening is a subgame that still has a lot of potential to grow.

R

Ravenspyre

Hrmm, so plants is all people are caring about? Nevermind the big thing saying that there is going to be some big announcement at the next Town Hall, and I have to say, if it's not bloody major (like the expansion or UXO is back on the table) I wouldn't be able to care less.

L

LeeHarvey

I think gardening is a subgame that still has a lot of potential to grow.
Very "punny", but true.

Not something I would ever do, but it is a good addition to this multifaceted game. Don't be to quick to judge, there's plenty of ways that these new things can be enhanced and refined.

F

Farscape

They aren't going to be put in until the next publish.

I have my guesses as to what the will be.
Ilsh karma-sensitive creatures means either Unicorns or Ki'rin obviously. I'm guessing Ki'rin.
Bug-type : Solens
Dispise(and other) : Earth elementals
Arachnid : Miasma
Twisted Weald : Swoop
And if the last 2 are correct, expect to see some major noise from gardeners being forced to fight semi-peerless creatures for non-combat game activities.
(Buy them blah blah. That is about the lamest argument...)

The compact-sized creature .. birds and sewer rats are as small as things get, and since logic would suggest birds, I'm going to guess they put them on the rats.
I thought Bug type would be from Dupers :lick:

E

Eslake

Did I say anywhere I wasn't glad we are getting the new plants?
No, I said it was a shameful waste not to also make them crossable.

And it is.

It is like investing the skill to have 99.5 meditation.
Does it help with mana regen? Yes.
Is it better than not having it? Yes.
But to take it so far and then stop where just the slightest bit more would completely change the value of it...

And in case you haven't noticed, 3/4 of all the actions we can perform in UO are sub/mini games.
Just because YOU consider gardening to be trivial doesn't make it so for everyone.

F

Flora Green

Thank you, Connor. I sincerely appreciate that. :)Unfortunately I don't play Pac. :( Normally I could gather the seeds myself, but until my usual connection is restored even stocking vendors is painfully slow.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are these plants only available in plain colors?

"Because after testing what they would look like rehued same as the colored plants from the original set, I didn’t want to be held responsible for a worldwide eyesore epidemic."
That's funny... but awsome.

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

Thank you, Connor. I sincerely appreciate that. :)Unfortunately I don't play Pac. :( Normally I could gather the seeds myself, but until my usual connection is restored even stocking vendors is painfully slow.
same here if you on europa.

i keep some seeds for my self, but i am willing to share my seeds.