• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Item Identification

E

Eht

Does it do anything passive like Arms Lore? Should it? If it does already what does it do?

G

Gwendar-SP

I think this is a skill that became obsolete with AoS. I cheered when I could recycle the skill points. You can get some interesting info with it like seeds are fishing sinkers and petals are feathers.

A

Ash

Whoa, you used skill points for ID? I always found a steady supply of wand/staffs of Identification.

As for the skill, only one use I have for it now that is to help raise stats. If I am raising int/str I will raise it to 10 then toggle down and raise arms lore to 10.. Then when get stats where i want I toggle both down and never think about it again. Of course this is when skills are already at max.

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It gives you the title of "Grandmaster Merchant".
I GMed it while sitting IDOCs a while back.
I think thieves use to use it too to ID stuff they stole, like "potions" etc ?
but *I* use it just for title.

E

Eht

Well, I've heard rumor it does do something with crafting, but I'm still guessing it is just that rumor and has no truth. I wish there was a concisive answer, and another answer as to whether it will ever be useful.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Right now, other than the GM title and a few odd blurbs on useage of graphics, Item ID serves ZERO purpose in the game.

The skill itself really needs a purpose or the skillslot should be renamed and re-created as something else entirely.

E

Electrolyte

I think it would be cool if item id helped with crafting, sort of like arms lore does, but like this...

If you have any points in Item ID a second window opens after you pick the item you want to make. In this window you can pick the mods, OR, resists you want. Then each mod or resist is checked against your Item ID skill (each one gets it's own roll)... if succesful your item gets that mod... if not, you get nothing for a mod, or for resists it's the regular ol' crafting lottery.

Any takers on this one? Or am I just entertaining myself here?

-=\E

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Personally, I was hoping that Arms Lore would have done what it does for Armor, and Item ID changed to Weaponsmithing to give bonuses to weapons, but they put both in Arms Lore.

Item ID SHOULD have a purpose though, and to be honest, I miss the days of having to ID items. Made fishing up SOSs a small bit more enjoyable IMO (especially with the old monikers instead of the +1 and +2 resist mods that look no different than a store-bought item of the same type).

F

Fink

Right now, other than the GM title and a few odd blurbs on useage of graphics, Item ID serves ZERO purpose in the game.
I love the GM Merchant title, I have it on my trading character.

I'd really like if Item ID enabled you to create crafting recipes. You'd take an exceptional item, eg a runic ornate axe, and attempt to study it with Item ID. The better the mods the higher chance you'll destroy the item in the process, similar to enhancing. If you succeed, you get a recipe scroll that a crafter can use to make say 5 identical copies of the original item. Possibly you'd need another runic hammer to make the axe in the example, but you'd know exactly what you were getting for the hammer use instead of a random roll.

Scroll would probably read something like "a bronze runic recipe for an ornate axe" with a list of mods.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah but i think its a bit overpowered, you must see 5 copies of 50 htl 50 lower defens and 50 lower attack, and then the duping friends making hunderts of them *S*, no no.

F

Fink

Possibly tweak the numbers, then..

Higher risk of destroying the item in the process, you'd think twice about trying to create copies.

Lower number of copies, say 1 copy per recipe.. recipe is destroyed in the crafting process.

Possibly a chance to fail creating the copy? Seems a bit harsh after all the initial trouble to make the recipe, but it could help balance things.

It would be nice to make your own recipes now & then instead of blindly bashing away with a runic and hoping for the best.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They definately should look to make Item ID viable. I like the ideas I see.
How about being able to pick a mod. Then have random intensity on it as the current way does.
This way, it would be effective in ALL crafting. Spellbooks, tinkering, and the other frustrating trades.

E

Eht

Possibly tweak the numbers, then..

Higher risk of destroying the item in the process, you'd think twice about trying to create copies.

Lower number of copies, say 1 copy per recipe.. recipe is destroyed in the crafting process.

Possibly a chance to fail creating the copy? Seems a bit harsh after all the initial trouble to make the recipe, but it could help balance things.

It would be nice to make your own recipes now & then instead of blindly bashing away with a runic and hoping for the best.

I do not think anyone should be able to copy crafted items period. I think that would be a bad way of making the skill viable for use. It cheapens and steals the importants of what crafters make. Maybe and again I repeat, maybe, make cheap knock offs, with a 25% drop in all stats at best. I don't think there should be any way to make an amazing item over again, except through using a runic kit and a LOT of luck.