• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It shouldn't be that hard...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
..to ban this from happening if the UO Development Team wanted to. Apparently they don't want to.

Just add 'Ultimacodes' to the chat filter and they won't be able to advertise their website. They would have to change their name.

Ultimacodes.jpg

This is literally in chat on every single shard every hour.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is weird. Back in the day, a person couldn't name his character "Avatar"
I wonder why/how/when that changed.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He does this on all shards, in turn, standing in front of Haven Bank.

I've seen him many times.

He's hidden, logged off, and off to do the same thing on the next shard. I'm possible to target him or count him.

Its just another 3rd part scrip thats been in play at least 10 years and nothing ever happens to stop it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
..to ban this from happening if the UO Development Team wanted to. Apparently they don't want to.

Just add 'Ultimacodes' to the chat filter and they won't be able to advertise their website. They would have to change their name.

View attachment 92403

This is literally in chat on every single shard every hour.
Take that screen shot over to the official forums and post it. They could absolutely find that account with a single keystroke and take action, if they wanted to.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is actually kinda neat. I imagine it is done with a higher level scripting program than what is commonly used with UO. It's only done on production shards so it doesn't bother me, if it wasn't effective he would have already stopped doing it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is actually kinda neat. I imagine it is done with a higher level scripting program than what is commonly used with UO. It's only done on production shards so it doesn't bother me, if it wasn't effective he would have already stopped doing it.
It is very effective considering that EJ (free) accounts can now post in Gen Chat.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is very effective considering that EJ (free) accounts can now post in Gen Chat.
He was doing it long before EJ. It could also be done with 14 day trial accounts. I'll bet it's currently being done with a paid account. Are you suggesting that EJ shouldn't have access to gen chat? I would really be entertained by your backwards logic if you are!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He was doing it long before EJ. It could also be done with 14 day trial accounts. I'll bet it's currently being done with a paid account. Are you suggesting that EJ shouldn't have access to gen chat? I would really be entertained by your backwards logic if you are!
Get your facts straight, the 14 day trial account only had access to Help only. Yes it was done with a paid account pre EJ but now it can be done with an EJ account and all the gold can now be placed on one paid account. Maybe you should learn about the game you are supposedly playing. Maybe you should also look up how effective FREE advertising is before make "Backwards" statements.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take that screen shot over to the official forums and post it. They could absolutely find that account with a single keystroke and take action, if they wanted to.
"This is really not a topic for public discussion."
"I think it's time to end"
"This is thread is not helpful, educational or amusing."

*This discussion has been closed.*

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IF they wanted to.
:)

"IF"

Yeah. Talking about how long this criminal has been at large... as long as I can remember chat being around.

You'd also have to think, this "high level of scripting" is also connected to a great deal of gold farming I've always been hearing about... in this class of criminal that has been sucking the blood out of UO since day one.

Now we have UO Store... its so amazingly easy to "buy gold". Buy the item (if you really must) and sell said item in game. Newer item the better!

Otherwise you're selling vet rewards... or vet reward PICKS. I'd rather keep my dozen sets of teleporter pads and ethereals and stay poor. hehe

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"high level of scripting"
By this I mean he is scripting at the operating system level of his PC and not at the program level. It's nothing fancy, anyone could do it. I've just never seen it done with UO before.

Get your facts straight, the 14 day trial account only had access to Help only.
Yep, I did not know that. I stand humbled. I still think it's foolish to not allow EJ players to use gen chat just to make it a bit more costly for this one guy to do what he does.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They would have to make the chat filter horribly onerous for the rest of us to be able to effectively block this reprobate that way.

It's fairly easy to bypass the current filtering protocols.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is no 'High level of scripting' required to do what he/she is doing. It's all well within the capabilities of the same program that has been around for decades. The Devs are as ignorant towards said program as they are to Mr Avatar.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is no 'High level of scripting' required to do what he/she is doing. It's all well within the capabilities of the same program that has been around for decades. The Devs are as ignorant towards said program as they are to Mr Avatar.
I stand humbled once again. I didn't know there was a program that enters your password for you and chooses a shard and a character. I would have just done it using a mouse/keyboard emulator. You must know more about cheating programs than I do.

A simple captcha upon log in would fix the issue completely.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I stand humbled once again. I didn't know there was a program that enters your password for you and chooses a shard and a character. I would have just done it using a mouse/keyboard emulator. You must know more about cheating programs than I do.

I'm far from an expert but purely out of boredom many years ago I wanted to know how people were doing these things. I learned how to use it and understand it's capabilities. You can spend 5 minutes reading the documentation and know it's more capable than people know.
More people on these and the official forums use it than they care to admit. It's just a question of whether they use it for nefarious purposes or not and whether they get caught.

A captcha would certainly disrupt it but given that everytime you switch character it drops to the Login screen (CC anyway) I think It would drive the average player crazy having to enter a captcha everytime.

As a side note, I have never cheated, exploited or profitted in any way from UO, my account(s) are completely clean. But if I can automate key/mouse clicks that need to be made a million times, then I, like many others, will.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No I don't want to solve a captcha after a disconnect and trying to get back in before I die.

What I want is them to put a simple filter on chat for that website. Problem solved. If they move website address - filter that. If he can't advertise a website - it does no good. See? This is extremely simple coding on the chat interface. I mean REALLY simple. Like two lines of code.

Makes me think this seller is an insider.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But since...

They would have to make the chat filter horribly onerous for the rest of us to be able to effectively block this reprobate that way.

It's fairly easy to bypass the current filtering protocols.
I'd rather just listen to my good buddy Avatar.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since computers started becoming more common then microwaves...

I have seen a LOT of crazy things. My father had every certification as a teacher of computers. The circles I was in, I knew quick skilled hacker who could simply LOOK at a computer and some super-speed typing, have it completely accessible in a shop selling them. His home was FULL of ripped up computers, monitors, and was super hyper... so he could right programs faster then you could make dinner.

Then go ahead 25 years.

People have allowed computers to take control of every aspect of life. Companies employ hackers who make people's lives Harried for fun. How is it hard to think about even one of these guys, nothing better to do, facing a daily self-challenge to see how they can bankrupt UO or any game?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
No I don't want to solve a captcha after a disconnect and trying to get back in before I die.

What I want is them to put a simple filter on chat for that website. Problem solved. If they move website address - filter that. If he can't advertise a website - it does no good. See? This is extremely simple coding on the chat interface. I mean REALLY simple. Like two lines of code.

Makes me think this seller is an insider.
I guess Mr Avatar or his Bots/Scripts drop books at Luna bank also? I got one off the ground the other day..He/She lists prices, items, and "discounts" etc..I wonder what kind of money/salary he/they are making.
Also I doubt that they are real criminals as we are postulating here. The crime they are committing is not against US law, but against a game's TOS. But there is another thread for this I guess. The real question in my mind is : Is their US$ per hour worth the effort that they must incur to get the items/pets they sell? Also how do they get the items if not by grinding countless hours like we the players do? Do they have an army of low wage "farmers" in a foreign country to do the gathering of goods? Do they have bots that do this in Fel, chop wood at odd hours and non-US times for instance? Mining ore and selling it to NPC's? or what? Are they able to make many Plats of gold just mining, or lumberjacking etc.then selling the stuff to NPCs?
So ok. Now they got the Plats : Maybe 100000 plats? who knows, they must go to a subscribed toon, that is "legit" in surface. Then get the "other goods" i.e in-game items from players? Then sell the plats to UO players? Then get items from the UO store via foreign currencies and sell them via their website?
My points is that all this would leave some trail of evidence, that would nail whoever is behind these schemes. Hard to believe otherwise. I bet you there are many points in this chain that this could be intercepted, including players that know people - other "players" that are involved in this, and say nothing about it.

Final point : It is obvious that Devs and also lots of players DO NOT think it is important to intercept this activity and to take a pro-active attitude and try to stop this. Likely has been going on for so long, that it is ingrained in this game and also other games. It is possible that some of the game people are afraid that if RMT'ers quit, the game will quit too..I reckon..:devil:

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But by not enforcing it to me it makes it OK for me to spam servers about my etsy website that I use to sell sticks with felt and glitter glue on?

*I don't have a etsy site and and I will never own glitter glue!*

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been going on since virtually the beginning. Remember Markee Dragon? Tradespot? IngotDude? And of course eBay before they banned virtual items. A lot of people made a lot of money selling UO items, gold and houses. Now it's just dwindled down to a select few who probably have 100-500 platinum built up over the years. They shut this guy down, someone else will just pop-up in his place or rather, this guy will simply adjust and continue on. As stated in other thread this has been going on since well before EJ and even well before trial accounts.

I have no doubt they could stop this guy from spamming in chat. They could also break that program by simply having frequent mandatory patches but they don't.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Baja got rid of the book-dropper guy by gating him to the tower in Luna every time he showed up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess Mr Avatar or his Bots/Scripts drop books at Luna bank also? I got one off the ground the other day..He/She lists prices, items, and "discounts" etc..I wonder what kind of money/salary he/they are making.
Also I doubt that they are real criminals as we are postulating here. The crime they are committing is not against US law, but against a game's TOS. But there is another thread for this I guess. The real question in my mind is : Is their US$ per hour worth the effort that they must incur to get the items/pets they sell? Also how do they get the items if not by grinding countless hours like we the players do? Do they have an army of low wage "farmers" in a foreign country to do the gathering of goods? Do they have bots that do this in Fel, chop wood at odd hours and non-US times for instance? Mining ore and selling it to NPC's? or what? Are they able to make many Plats of gold just mining, or lumberjacking etc.then selling the stuff to NPCs?
So ok. Now they got the Plats : Maybe 100000 plats? who knows, they must go to a subscribed toon, that is "legit" in surface. Then get the "other goods" i.e in-game items from players? Then sell the plats to UO players? Then get items from the UO store via foreign currencies and sell them via their website?
My points is that all this would leave some trail of evidence, that would nail whoever is behind these schemes. Hard to believe otherwise. I bet you there are many points in this chain that this could be intercepted, including players that know people - other "players" that are involved in this, and say nothing about it.

Final point : It is obvious that Devs and also lots of players DO NOT think it is important to intercept this activity and to take a pro-active attitude and try to stop this. Likely has been going on for so long, that it is ingrained in this game and also other games. It is possible that some of the game people are afraid that if RMT'ers quit, the game will quit too..I reckon..:devil:
I used to go around and throw them away and then I started going around and just writing over them with one of our RP recruitment books... that fixed his red wagon for a bit.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been going on since virtually the beginning. Remember Markee Dragon? Tradespot? IngotDude? And of course eBay before they banned virtual items. A lot of people made a lot of money selling UO items, gold and houses. Now it's just dwindled down to a select few who probably have 100-500 platinum built up over the years. They shut this guy down, someone else will just pop-up in his place or rather, this guy will simply adjust and continue on. As stated in other thread this has been going on since well before EJ and even well before trial accounts.

I have no doubt they could stop this guy from spamming in chat. They could also break that program by simply having frequent mandatory patches but they don't.

If they could easily go after this guy and he is literally the main person annoying everyone in chat about every 5 minutes - it begs the question why dont' they? Its not like its 8 different websites - its one.

Maybe the dev team did go after all the others and left this one alone. Begs the question then - why???

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they could easily go after this guy and he is literally the main person annoying everyone in chat about every 5 minutes - it begs the question why dont' they? Its not like its 8 different websites - its one.

Maybe the dev team did go after all the others and left this one alone. Begs the question then - why???
IMHO the reason they do not ban this person is because EA said not to.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I still played, and I don't, I'd just put it on ignore or ignore it if I didn't feel bothered to keep adding each new one. It's not like it's that taboo of a subject anymore. If someone were to ask me which online game has the most trash economy I'd say UO times 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. And that's considering games where people have been duping things for almost as long as UO has been around as well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If I still played, and I don't, I'd just put it on ignore or ignore it if I didn't feel bothered to keep adding each new one. It's not like it's that taboo of a subject anymore. If someone were to ask me which online game has the most trash economy I'd say UO times 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. And that's considering games where people have been duping things for almost as long as UO has been around as well.
I thought that it has been fixed now for years and there is no more duping?