• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It Never Ceases To Amaze Me

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After all these years, you would think I would not be surprised or that I was used to how much people try to take advantage of others in MMO's in regards to selling items. A few years ago I purchased my first PoF keg for about 250k. This was early in the new BoD system. I really like them. So years later I am now (was) looking for a lot of PoF and a few of these nice kegs. PoF for some reason is in short supply on my server. When it shows up, it is 120-150k. PoF kegs are going for 1.5 mil. Both of these prices are way too much for what I now know is they are easy to get. Disgusted, I get up to speed on the BoD changes (yes I am way behind the times with my crafter). I shake the dust off my smith / tinker and get to work. In like 2 hrs maybe I have 14 PoF for basically free with the stockpile of ingots I have and a little gold for a few bribes. OK! Time to tackle the tinker BoDs. A couple hours later, a few ingots lighter , & a few more bribes - I have 3 kegs. Without spending millions. I maybe spent 15k in total for bribes.

The part where I am amazed, you ask? At both how the "price vultures" prey on the playerbase's ignorance or lazyness. Oh, I will still buy up PoF if it is for a good price - but I know that don't "have" to go buy it. Just a slight rant and a new experience with the BoD system. Nothing majorly deep here.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't really see where the price gouging here is. You said yourself that it took you at least 4 hours to get 3 kegs. Selling them for 1.5 mil is only like 1m compensation per hour spent getting them. A lot of people would barely pick up a 1m check if it was on the floor, let alone spend an hour to get it. While yes the normal price might be way lower, that just means people are selling it for really cheap, not that the ones who are selling for more are price gouging. If they were selling for like 20m then sure, but 1.5m isn't that big of a deal for the convenience of not having to spend hours getting it yourself.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sold the Kegs and the Plum trees for 1M as soon as the new BODs came out. I've seen the Poppie white dye sell for 2M.

You are a shard that did not think those were worth 1M.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After all these years, you would think I would not be surprised or that I was used to how much people try to take advantage of others in MMO's in regards to selling items. A few years ago I purchased my first PoF keg for about 250k. This was early in the new BoD system. I really like them. So years later I am now (was) looking for a lot of PoF and a few of these nice kegs. PoF for some reason is in short supply on my server. When it shows up, it is 120-150k. PoF kegs are going for 1.5 mil. Both of these prices are way too much for what I now know is they are easy to get. Disgusted, I get up to speed on the BoD changes (yes I am way behind the times with my crafter). I shake the dust off my smith / tinker and get to work. In like 2 hrs maybe I have 14 PoF for basically free with the stockpile of ingots I have and a little gold for a few bribes. OK! Time to tackle the tinker BoDs. A couple hours later, a few ingots lighter , & a few more bribes - I have 3 kegs. Without spending millions. I maybe spent 15k in total for bribes.

The part where I am amazed, you ask? At both how the "price vultures" prey on the playerbase's ignorance or lazyness. Oh, I will still buy up PoF if it is for a good price - but I know that don't "have" to go buy it. Just a slight rant and a new experience with the BoD system. Nothing majorly deep here.

I will gladly donate 20m to you so you dont have to spend that long to get those items.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You all drink the same Kool-Aid. It's cool to play the game by not playing. Lol. I am really glad I do not play MMO's obsessively for many years now. I used to think similar to all this until my career made me focus on it.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And I am really glad I don't obsessively post on a gaming forum for a game I don't play. Phew, I'm so relaxed now.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just goes back to "time is money" as @Captn Norrington kind of eluded to. I'd pick up million gold checks (just 1 drag into the bag) but I've been to the roof several times and very few people in my party bother picking up the 4-5k stacks. In the time the boss dies to when we get booted out; I can pick up 300-400k.

That said, you spent 3-4 hours getting those kegs to save yourself the 1.5m but for some people that's the amount of time they spend playing in 2 days (myself included sometimes). By comparison, I can easily run 4-5 champ spawns in that time period (this is taking a leisurely time too) which is 250k-ish in gold that drops each time PLUS a chance at powerscrolls which can sell for millions or champ drops like Lt. Sash (again millions).

At the end of the day to each their own. Some people like getting things the old fashioned way but others will pay for convenience. For most it comes down to the opportunity cost for individual, and there is no wrong choice. If that 1.5m was too much for you, great you put the time in to get the kegs yourself but to post something that seems to shame people who buy at that price is questionable.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Champs and shops are of course the most easiest way to make the big money for yourself - but it takes a long time to have a workable char for champs or enough high end items - Legendaries, Vet-Rewards - whatever else to sell - you can put in your shop.

Money will have be earn in RL and in Gameplay - and I can only speak for myself : I long long make my money with my Tamer and hunting monsters that have a good amount of gold as loot - so as for example Miasma, any other Mini Peerless in Ish like Coil, Irk, Ladies Lissex and Sabrix and so on. Normally it took me 2 to 3 days permanent farming to get just a Million Gold - earming the money just of gameplaying was and will be ever hard work - for money that is often spend so easy for a thousend wishes the game offers to us ;)

It's really no fun to pay this totally excessive prices you find on ATL vendors .

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't really see where the price gouging here is. You said yourself that it took you at least 4 hours to get 3 kegs. Selling them for 1.5 mil is only like 1m compensation per hour spent getting them. A lot of people would barely pick up a 1m check if it was on the floor, let alone spend an hour to get it. While yes the normal price might be way lower, that just means people are selling it for really cheap, not that the ones who are selling for more are price gouging. If they were selling for like 20m then sure, but 1.5m isn't that big of a deal for the convenience of not having to spend hours getting it yourself.
#zerooutgoldbalances