• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] It IS Possible To Get Coloured Vanilla After All

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all; Whilst growing plants to make cuttings for seed dyes, I accidentally got a Bright Purple Vanilla Seed. Yes, really. It's possible!

Notice that it doesn't have the colour listed on the seed name, but the seed itself takes the colour. I've locked it down at my home on Europa if anyone wants to see it; it's at Trammel (47.11 N 42.07 E) ... do drop off any player written Lore you've found in IDOCs etc whilst there!

Where is it from? It seems that when the Devs said it was available through normal means, what they really meant was that it's through the random Sakarrah Seeds, the bug that became a feature. Mine were from cross breeding two Bright Purple Barrel Cactus. If you visit my home, it's the two cactii bottom right that were crossed. This means you have a 1 in 18 (I think) chance of getting the Vanilla roll on the random breed, and it'll take the colour from the parents (so purple crossed to purple will become bright purple etc).

Good luck folks!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the interests of Science, and History, I've planted the first seed into the gardens of Magincia, by the bank on Europa; it doesn't display the colour when planted, but in the hopes that it's the first ever discovered, it will soon have the planting date upon it! And I can see if the coloured Vanilla is fertile or not... in 9 days! The second seed upon collection later today will be passed to someone who kindly donated a collection of Mini House Deeds to my museum, but the third will go back on display as above for anyone who wants to confirm it's actually possible, whilst the first grows in Magincia...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Behold coloured vanilla on day 7; it seems to be much more subtly hued than the other types of plant.

They do not however carry either resources or seeds, so cannot be reproduced or crossed with anything else.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I picked all the seeds off my cactus in one plant bed today. One plant was 8 of the bright purple vanilla seeds. I planted three back in the bed. When I click on the seeds in the bed, it says they do give seeds.

You can't get seeds from plants that are planted in Magincia.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh... I should have thought of that, thanks for reporting it! I'll start growing my remaining for more then! Do they give resources too?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No resources. Only the seed area has any numbers. I planted 3 of them for now.

I'm going to try crossing them to some other plants and see what I get

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well mine hit the 7 day fertility spot, and unfortunately it seems they don't have pollen and cannot be crossed too either. So for every colour variant of Vanilla you need to get it by randomly rolling via a Barrel Cactus...

Last edited:

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I just noticed that when I tried to pollinate mine. That sucks. I was hoping I was finally done with cactus.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I picked a red vanilla seed today. Well on my way to collecting them all.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got Bright Red, Bright Green now too... a wave of 20 orange cross pollinated didn't pull one alas, so depending on how much space you have, and how much the RNG loves you, it's probably best to trade each other seeds to save time!

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple days ago I picked seeds off the 16 blues I crossed. Two of them gave me bright blue vanilla seeds. Apparently the RNG loves me right now. I have bright greens to check in a few days. I just crossed them this morning.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did get a bright green. I crossed oranges yesterday. I'll check them when I can get back on.

I'm on Chessy and don't off shard, but if you get over this way, I can help you out.

Computer died so I'm currently in an update and install on the new one mode. Not sure how long that will take.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the information. Do you cross the bright colored cactus with each other? Bright purple to bright purple?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes. I usually use whatever I have the most seeds of. Well, I have lots of all seeds. I prefer the little prickly pear cactus just because I like them. Doesn't have to be different types of cactus.

I have bright yellow vanilla now. Crossed the bright orange today. After I get the seed beds moved, I'll start working on the dull colors. Have to let the currently planted ones grow out.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I and a partner are doing this on GL. we have bright green and plain red and plain blue. Should have plain purple and plain green within a couple of weeks. Anyone wishing to trade colors let me know.

Also there is a house on test center immediately west of the yew moongate that has every bright and plain color displayed. It appears it is a japanese player.

Last edited:

tiara1971

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I been doing the seed quest for a long time now and have gotten all the vanilla rare seeds except for the pink... does anyone know if this comes in pink at all .

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry. I don't check back on this sub forum much. I have a pink vanilla. It's actually the only rare color I've gotten it in.