• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It having a "Mule Character" worth it anymore?

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean with the state of Item Properties and drops... legendaries and what not....

What good is a mule these days?

I have one that is 120 Smith and Tailor...Gm Mining,Tinkering, lumberjacking and arms lore.

Started Imbuing but didnt finish. Started Alchemy but didnt finish.

What are your thoughts on having a mule?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Mules can be priceless even today, depending on how you use them. You can make for instance specialized items like weapons 100% elemental for specific boss etc that sell 2.5 M and up. Legendaries do not cover all needs..New smith BOD system is better than what it was. Check it out...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean with the state of Item Properties and drops... legendaries and what not....

I have one that is 120 Smith and Tailor...Gm Mining,Tinkering, lumberjacking and arms lore.

Imbuing and anything that makes a consumable are still very useful. The base gear crafting skills are still needed for items to imbue/reforge craft but other than that...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless you carry a spellbook. All my weapons are reforged/imbued.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My personal opinion is that Scribe needs to be on a spellcaster primary as an SDI Buff. Soulstone it off if you want some other skill other than the SDI bonus.

Cook & Alchemy are now linked through some of the alcoholic beverages, so they would be a good pairing on a support character that isn't your main mule.

That leaves Smith, Tailor, Imbuing (120 cap skills), Tinker, Carpentry, Fletcher (100 cap skills), with Arms Lore, Mining and Lumberjack as support.

You could have 1 120 skill and 6 100 skills, rotating through the 120s with soulstones - or 2 of the 120s, with Arms Lore, 2 crafting skills that cap at 100, 85 Mining (+15 from equipment) and 95 lumberjack (+5 from Melisande's Corroded Hatchet) - then roating in the other two skills with soulstones.

My personal option is a dedicated 120 Smith/Tailor with Arms Lore and Mining character, then a mule with Imbuing, Carpentry, Tinker, Arms Lore, 200 or so points split between Smith, Tinker and Magery (70 for the first two as to get colored BODs, 60 or so magery - equipment to get enough skill for these to make all carpentry add-ons), and 100 points that I can rotate between the other crafting skills with soulstones, and equipment to add the 45 Music (by removing the +magery items) to make those add-ons.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make a mystic and use imbuing as the damage increaser.

Then you can fit fishing on a mule.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe it's time to raise the skill cap...
That would cause so much chaos. Can you imagine the builds that could be made at that point for combat?

120 bushido
120 swords
115 taming/lore
100 vet
120 tactics
99 necro
60 parry
70 chiv

Thats 919 points. Raising the skill cap even am extra 120 puts that number in reach. At that point you have a character that is a combo of the two best pvm builds.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That would cause so much chaos. Can you imagine the builds that could be made at that point for combat?

120 bushido
120 swords
115 taming/lore
100 vet
120 tactics
99 necro
60 parry
70 chiv

Thats 919 points. Raising the skill cap even am extra 120 puts that number in reach. At that point you have a character that is a combo of the two best pvm builds.
maybe i should have said we need to allow all skills to be added to jewelry why are crafting skills not there +20 smith ring anyone ?? the skill cap is easily circumvented now adding all skills would just make it possible to have all your skills on one mule and who wouldn't love a +20 hearding bracelet

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There really is no need to make a dedicated mule char.
My personal choice of a mule char is not to have one, i have all crafting skills on soulstones, and just swap skills when i need to make stuff.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 2 mule chars set up purely for bod gathering mostly, 4 skills on each char plus some mage stuff for moving around and gathering raw mats.
Bods are getting abit stupid these days unless you have endless Plat to bribe up.
8 skills + 3 bods per day + 365 days of the year = 8760 bods per year...…...we need a better system to store these lockdown hoggers….

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 2 mule chars set up purely for bod gathering mostly, 4 skills on each char plus some mage stuff for moving around and gathering raw mats.
Bods are getting abit stupid these days unless you have endless Plat to bribe up.
8 skills + 3 bods per day + 365 days of the year = 8760 bods per year...…...we need a better system to store these lockdown hoggers….
Heh rookie. 10 Ej accounts 4 shards 3 bod collecters per shard:

120 smithing bods per hour. I do that twice a day (3 hours apart) and I rake in 720/day. The real PITA is getting them all to one shard lol.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resource Gathering is one thing. Collect the stuff that a crafter may need without spending money or resources towards making your own. There's dozens of people out there who cfraft. No need to be one of them.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Resource Gathering is one thing. Collect the stuff that a crafter may need without spending money or resources towards making your own. There's dozens of people out there who cfraft. No need to be one of them.
Well there's only 12 of us on Origin does that make me the shard crafter??:gee:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You still have to make the original item you are imbuing. So 120 Smith, 120 Tailor, 100 Carp are essential skills to have unless you are going to ask someone else to make all your items for you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I play Black Desert Online and I think they have the right idea with having 2 separate skill sets... You have your weapons skills and life skills are separate so every character you have can gather, tame, lumberjack, mine and all that stuff... they are not counted in your regular skills.

It would be nice in UO if you could designate a character as a life skill character and build all the crafting skills on it yet still be able to have some sort of skill like magery or what have you.

I'd chose mysticism if it only had some way to mark and recall... but since it doesn't it's kinda useless... I had one crafter once with Chiv which was ok until you wanted to mark a rune.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I play Black Desert Online and I think they have the right idea with having 2 separate skill sets... You have your weapons skills and life skills are separate so every character you have can gather, tame, lumberjack, mine and all that stuff... they are not counted in your regular skills.

It would be nice in UO if you could designate a character as a life skill character and build all the crafting skills on it yet still be able to have some sort of skill like magery or what have you.

I'd chose mysticism if it only had some way to mark and recall... but since it doesn't it's kinda useless... I had one crafter once with Chiv which was ok until you wanted to mark a rune.

This is exactly why each school of magic should be complete with their own means of healing travel etc etc etc it takes nothing away from magery for a pally to be able to mark a rune or a mystic to open a gate a mage should be able to remove a curse the list goes on and don't get me started on Bards needing their own spells and magics...The black desert system would work perfectly today I think back in the good old days when there was community not letting people have every skill made it so each class was useful but with 7 character slots we all just have our own i don't think i have even bought a repair deed in ages unless i am lazy or in a hurry and don't want to change to my mule. even seige with their one character only has soul stones so basically more than one character slot...

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had a mule long ago with everything, but he has made every bow/bladed staff/double axe for every character I have on 2 different shards already. Their weapons/suits have been finished for 4 years and nothing is even below 200 points even except for my sampire's suit on my old shard. His armor is down to 198 I think..... after 6 years. I have 1 single cold axe that is down to about 175..... 175 repairs left. Yes, we play more than every single player except like 20-30 possibly. My sampire is my only char I play, I can solo Shadowguard on my own.

So you will use a crafter for weapons to get you started certainly. After that... nothing is useful in the slightest except for *possibly* cooking. Inscription is nice on a mage... but that's a character, not a crafter. So basically, craft your weapons and then soul stone the skills never to be seen again. You can get any repair deed you need for free basically, and your weapons/armor will never, ever, ever break or be lost.

Not only that, but you can only craft 5 property armor, but you can buy 19 property armor. You do the math, hehe. Now... albeit it's possible that you or me or anyone that plays this game fairly cannot buy the 17-19 property armor pieces as they cost more than my car in real life.... but some people seem to have unlimited gold in UO for whatever reasons (15-75 platinum.....). I won't get into those reasons.

I'll take this chance to stab at UO and offer a suggestion. -Break- our armor devs. It's as simple as that. If those legendary armor pieces broke after 1-2 months and we actually had to play that side of the game...... maybe we wouldn't all be complaining about it so much and maybe those pieces wouldn't cost (you can't buy it with gold...) 12 platinum. (Of course I'm only referring to about 4-5 pvp'er chars that have that gear. They brag on these forums when they suddenly show back up after a few months of working somewhere and "just got 20p SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" type of crap posts.) They're not so much of a problem as the scripters who farmed/sold the items, but the devs are trying their best at that. The fix is simple... just break our armor. I would jump with joy... if UO went back to lesser armor. It would make my 15 property pieces from Shadowguard worthwhile for me.

@Kyronix @Mesanna @Bleak -Break- our armor!!!! Also... bring back the phoenix.