• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Issues/Rant" with Five on Fridays

S

Sang

Werent these posts supposed to be about answering player questions? I dont know about you but I look forward to DEV postings regarding a game that I've played for so long, only to have like 1 of the 5 postings actually be about UO related game-play issues. The rest of the cop-out posts are always,

1.We're updating the UO.com main site player guide with the most up-to-date player info. (C'mon these should be done automatically...or as a login update message)

2. Town Hall Meeting in blanky-blank city on blanky-blank! See you all there! (Come the &^#$-on, I want some answers!)

For cryin out loud, read some posts with lots of replies (for example the recent Vine Cord Sandles dupe issue)....we want answers, I'm sick of dupers making all the money, then everyone getting screwed. Seriously, why the hell should we NOT dupe/cheap/steal in this game when no one acts on it til months later when all the money has been made.

Thus endeth my rant.

G

The only reason the cheaters profit is because players continue to do business with them.

L

Locus_Ceruleus

<blockquote><hr>

Werent these posts supposed to be about answering player questions? I dont know about you but I look forward to DEV postings regarding a game that I've played for so long, only to have like 1 of the 5 postings actually be about UO related game-play issues....

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I thought you were on to something here, so I took a look at the FoFs for 2007. I found several instances where you were spot on, Four on Friday or Three on Friday.

However, there were far more instances of several discrete player questions being answered under a single entry. There were 15 questions answered in the January 19, 2007 FoF. In short order, they averaged far more than 5 per Friday.

Based on perception, you had me. Based on analysis, you're simply mistaken.

(The record did show that they make a lot of promises they don't keep, but that is for another rant).

G

<blockquote><hr>

(The record did show that they make a lot of promises they don't keep, but that is for another rant).

[/ QUOTE ]And you were doing so well...
The dev team can't break promises, if they don't make promises...

Find me one example of the dev team promising to do something, and not doing so.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Find me one example of the dev team promising to do something, and not doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about on introducing powerscrolls, where the Devs promised that GM would be sufficient to accomplish anything in game, therefore powerscrolls would never be a neccesity for any given task?

Try taming a Cu Sidhe with GM taming. Or a Fire Steed?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
How about on introducing powerscrolls, where the Devs promised that GM would be sufficient to accomplish anything in game, therefore powerscrolls would never be a neccesity for any given task?

Try taming a Cu Sidhe with GM taming. Or a Fire Steed?

[/ QUOTE ]Did they actually promise?
People always whip out the violins about the devs "breaking their promises", but the fact is, they rarely (if ever) promise anything.
If they actually did promise regarding the powerscrolls, then good example.

G

Well I've been playing since 1997 and I can say that Origin/EA/Mythic have all made promises and then just ignored them.

Now I will say this: I am sure that a good portion of "promises" made were actually meant to be implemented or kept. But when you get new people in a department, especially new bosses, they change things. And any promise that was made goes out the window.

Three reasons for this; one is EGO, they think they can do it better. The other is LEADERSHIP, they think that in order to be seen as a boss they need to make these kinds of decisions, regardless of the consequences. Third and final, is just plain old everyday incompetence. Trust me when I say that, I work in the Tech Industry, and the leadership in all Tech is riddled with incompetence who basically do nothing the whole time they are on the job and then after a year or two the "move on to something different" with a nice big fat severance package.

In the end I don't think the issue is broken promises, I think the issue is the order of the changes made to the game. I may think that PvP is the most important thing to fix while someone else may think that crafting is the most important thing to fix.

Sadly there is no changing anyone’s mind on the importance of certain changes because we all play for different reasons. That is why I would like to see a balance in game changes. Either address a couple of issues pertaining to everyone’s complaints, or do them in an order of some kind. An example being; Mays patch corrects crafting, Augusts patch corrects taming, Decembers patch corrects PvPing, etc.

I jut don't think they have the focus to keep on track like this and they will veer off to something else as usual.

Am I the only one who wonders why resources are put to certain changes?

Not that the Bag of Sending didn't need a change, but did it need to be done now, considering that there are many more issues that the paying public complains about?

What about the gift boxes we get every stupid holiday? Do these need the resources applied to them when there are many more issues that the paying public complains about? BACON, what a total and complete waste of resources!!

Taming needed a fix, but was adding super dragons the fix?

Moonglow was an interesting idea, but what did it really accomplish? other than forcing reds to go find a red healer somewhere else. Here is a thought, how about making all wandering healers in Fel RED? If you are going to spend the resources to give us those stupid gifts, you sure can spend the resources to change the color of a wandering healer.

In the end I think that people would be happy if they actually had a project timeline on proposed game change that they actually kept to.

L

Locus_Ceruleus

<blockquote><hr>

And you were doing so well...
The dev team can't break promises, if they don't make promises...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Five on Friday of July 14, 2006, when someone asked if EA's thought about putting commas on checks, Draconi replied, "Why yes, we have! It’s a real pain when trading bank checks to have to count the zeros for each check. Not to mention the potential for an innocent player to be scammed by a less than virtuous one, who hides a 100,000 check amidst a few for a 1,000,000. While this may be a lower priority compared to the rest of our workload, if we’d like address this as soon as we have time to fit it in."

G

Ah, but the truth of the matter is; they did develop the system to put commas in checks.

But, as I'm sure you're aware, or at least will pretend to be aware, UO is an international game.
Different countries do things differently (shocking, I know!).
As an extension of this, not all countries used commas to separate digits into groups of three, for large digits. So, hard-coding UO to do this is not localisation-friendly. So, although the initial non-implementation was an accidental omission, when it came to revisiting the system again to implement, they considered the bigger picture.

You can actually have commas in check in KR.
Hell, if you wanted it, you could probably use bright pink hearts. I wouldn't, personally, but if that's your thing...
More to the point, the devs have made it possible to have commas in check