• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Isnt anyone else just a bit *miffed* about the "next publish"?

S

Spector_Napa

The ONLY thing ive seen in accordance to the next publish is that we're getting new "plants". WOOOO!! AWESOME!! HUGE!!! give me a break please. I understand the importance of adding non-pvp oriented material for the gamers who dont pvp out there, and i fully understand adding/taking out things in the game is extremly time consuming and hard considering the multitude of players out there all spamming the changes they want to see made.
BUT after playing for close to 10 years and being thru just about every single publish/patch/nerf and w/e else has changed in that time i really find it hard to beleive that you could only bring out 16 new plants as the main change in a publish. GET REAL. There are a million and one differnt bugs/exploits/gameplay flaws that are being overlooked or just plain ignored.
EVEN the new items that are introduced are lackluster and really uneffective in most cases of PvP. I.E. "Spring Cleaning" while at the start it was a very great idea that had much enthusiasm, the prizes themselves are ones that are just going to collect dust in a bag hidden in your house.
Unless there is a plethora of bug/exploit fixes to go along with the plants in the next publish i honestly think that EA has just been wasting theirs and our time and interest in this game.(Of course im hooked on uo and probally wont quit until they turn the servers off) but nontheless i get more and more disheartened by the "attempts" to bring more interest back into the game.
I MEAN COMMON!! PLANTS?!?!? WTF????
what i really want to know is if tinkerers will ever receive the long overdue runic system that almost every other crafting skill has?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There will be a lot of information given out at the Seattle townhall...
:bored:

C

Coppelia

UO is made of 10 years of patches to unsuccessfully balance PvP.
How can you blame devs to give content that won't unbalance all once again to people that aren't yelling on boards when their templates are nerfed and telling others to adapt when their templates are the most powerful?
They chose the easy way to content people. They'll come back to the unfeasible quest of PvP balance afterwards, don't worry.
For bug/exploit fixes, there's always a good list of them every publish, so I don't think adding plants by copying the model of bonzai trees stopped them from fixing some more bugs.

H

Harb

I'm a little concerned, but not miffed. We don't know the content yet. My concern isn't really the publish, it's resource allocation and priorites given other issues floating all over the boards. I'm willing to wait patiently, at least for now, if that's what it takes to get more pressing "fixes" implemented.

S

Sarphus

I've read a few places that the plants aren't the main theme of the next publish. The devs said that they would unveil a lot of pub 55 at the next townhall. Wait a bit :)

S

Spector_Napa

Awesome. in all honesty i may have posted a bit early. But i always find it hard to reach actual factual posts about upcoming publishes. and if there are going to be any major fixes/gameplay changes its nice to know about em at least a little more then a week in advance. considering so many times people have to change templates just because of said fixes.

M

MoonglowMerchant

The ONLY thing ive seen in accordance to the next publish is that we're getting new "plants". WOOOO!! AWESOME!! HUGE!!! give me a break please. I understand the importance of adding non-pvp oriented material for the gamers who dont pvp out there, and i fully understand adding/taking out things in the game is extremly time consuming and hard considering the multitude of players out there all spamming the changes they want to see made.
BUT after playing for close to 10 years and being thru just about every single publish/patch/nerf and w/e else has changed in that time i really find it hard to beleive that you could only bring out 16 new plants as the main change in a publish. GET REAL. There are a million and one differnt bugs/exploits/gameplay flaws that are being overlooked or just plain ignored.
EVEN the new items that are introduced are lackluster and really uneffective in most cases of PvP. I.E. "Spring Cleaning" while at the start it was a very great idea that had much enthusiasm, the prizes themselves are ones that are just going to collect dust in a bag hidden in your house.
Unless there is a plethora of bug/exploit fixes to go along with the plants in the next publish i honestly think that EA has just been wasting theirs and our time and interest in this game.(Of course im hooked on uo and probally wont quit until they turn the servers off) but nontheless i get more and more disheartened by the "attempts" to bring more interest back into the game.
I MEAN COMMON!! PLANTS?!?!? WTF????
what i really want to know is if tinkerers will ever receive the long overdue runic system that almost every other crafting skill has?
Siege is getting ROT fixes. It would have been nice to have them 6 years ago but at least we are getting them...

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, be patient, the next publish will be worth the wait, especially for all the PvPers out there...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm going to wait until we see ALL of the publish notes before I decide to be "miffed" or not.

Right now, I'm just "miffed" that we haven't seen any significant improvement from the devs in regards to KR. Fortunately, as players, a few people HAVE made some GIGANTIC improvements (at least UI-wise) with some even better stuff in the works.

But for the Publish? We know all of ONE aspect of it so far... let's see what else is in it before acting all "miffed".

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Siege is getting ROT fixes. It would have been nice to have them 6 years ago but at least we are getting them...

I am pretty happy with this. I will wait and see what else is in store.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well the Royal Council was murdered.. no one left to run things.. henceforth, i declare myself chancelor of Britannia. (since everyone cares more about plants, someone has to run things.. ;)) Hmm.. i really dont need a big castle or anything.. so ill move into Blackthorns old place in Brit.. since he has a new place in Ils.. (current house ownership dictates he can only have one house per account.. and its not grandfathered..)

My first order of business will be to elect the new council. Its not really a high-paying job.. but you do get a residence in Britain. (i believe there are some small houses on the outskirts of town, and a spare room in the stables left..)

Now hiring for:

Britain Sewers & Sans
Britain Graveyard Keeper
Britain Bank Marketing
Britain Reagent Gatherer

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep I seem to remember a perticular recent farce on friday saying that it was meager so not to steal the thunder for the meet up and teh meet up was alot of we are biteing our tounges so hard it is bleeding but we cannot tell you that now, fire fire fire, oh we cant say anything, again fire we love fire, ohh sorry i could not ask that dev they were not in before i left, fire, cant say

Ya if it is a event, you can bet the spoilers will be on stratics or other insert random uo fan site here, and be completed within 3 days and left on for 2 months after that, to be farmed to ones hearts content

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you guys and gals get to the seattle town hall in hopes of find more info they will say "we decided to wait utnil the austin town hall since it is in jeremy's hoemtown and she will be able to bring all notes she ahs on the "things to come" hehe.

I certainly hope not though,the player base loyalty can't handle too mcuh more false hope I know mine can't.

G

galefan2004

Tinkerer runics are being discussed, but it will be part of a bigger set of crafting changes that will also adjust the way we aquire fletcher and carpentry runics. (Town Hall Meeting)

If you expect any content oriented around PvP to be interesting and fresh and bug free then I'm not sure what game you are playing. I can't remember the last time they added content exclusively tailored to PvP.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tinkerer runics are being discussed, but it will be part of a bigger set of crafting changes that will also adjust the way we aquire fletcher and carpentry runics. (Town Hall Meeting)

If you expect any content oriented around PvP to be interesting and fresh and bug free then I'm not sure what game you are playing. I can't remember the last time they added content exclusively tailored to PvP.
I like the idea of tinker runics, but I wish they would add a few more craftable weapons such as pitchforks, cleavers,etc first..

I hope we can make runic crafted jewelry.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, just you. Obviously seriously disturbed too, I mean, crying a "wtf" and all.....sounds like a rant to me. You think after a decade of playing UO, you'd know somewhat of what's what.....and maybe gm'd in patience and maturity.

I agree with another poster on here, there's wayyyy too much whining from certain players and stratics members. Never happy.....it's always, nerf this, fix that,......Sure, there's always been things outta sorts....certain virtues, the endless punk vs punk cry,...but, hey, that's gonna happen.

When you have a crew to work on one game, it could 5, 6, 7.....who knows....now, they have to fix this and fix that, as well as keep adding new content or players won't know what to do at night.

That's all time consuming stuff.....and who knows how many times they have to do it to get it right....there's more time. Someone screws up, someone doesn't show up for work, another guys sick, someone quits....or is fired....no, players don't think about all the little variables.....they just whine.

If anyones miffed, I dare them to call corporate and rant to them, or go to a townhall and boldly express the ways if miffism. I don't see that happening.

later:lick:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont worry they have "so many great things that are super awesome that will will explode into bits that are coming reallllly soon!" for us.

Its coming!

N

Nenime

Dont worry they have "so many great things that are super awesome that will will explode into bits that are coming reallllly soon!" for us.

Its coming!
I really hope I will live that long. :D

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still waiting for the wow factor. Until then i am convinced the new plants and ROT are the new shiny thing to make people forget about the recent bannings.

E

Eslake

If there is, wouldn't that be the first time? ;)
They have a really bad habit of saying "we don't want to give anything away" at those things instead of giving out much actual info.

Lefty said:
I like the idea of tinker runics, but I wish they would add a few more craftable weapons such as pitchforks, cleavers,etc first..

I hope we can make runic crafted jewelry.
Cleavers are on the Utensils menu. ;)

I hope they come up with a different way to do Tinker runics tho. If they make them another BOD system.. urgh!

the 4th man said:
When you have a crew to work on one game, it could 5, 6, 7.....who knows....now, they have to fix this and fix that, as well as keep adding new content or players won't know what to do at night.

That's all time consuming stuff.....
I would agree with you if I saw them fixing things. ;)
But none of it is really time consuming. I've seen the server source, it is not difficult to work with, and could be completely replaced in a few months by 1 programmer.
I think their real problem is that they keep shifting staff around so much, none of them know what they're working on day to day so nothing really gets done.

Is there a miffism temple I can go to? I want to convert! :p

Uvtha said:

Its coming!
Absolutely!

There is no way they could put it off. They've told us "So many great things coming soon" for so long now, it just has to be true. :lol:

I hope they do have some good things planned. I really do. But I won't hold my breath for them, I rather like being among the living. (it makes them nervous)

I would say I'm looking forward most to the ROT fix, but since my character is already done on SP..
So what I have to look forward to so far in the next 2 publishes of stuff, is 15 new plants that work like bonsai. :bored:

Bruce Dickinson

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't see why people think PvP isn't balanced. It's currently the most balanced its been since the 4/6 mage casting nerf. What's the problem? Greater Dragons hitting for 60 damage? If you have EP you can heal for over half that in a second. Honestly, if you die 1v1 to a GD tamer you probably shouldn't be in fel.

L

Limlight

lol

Problem is GD's are always accompanied by Bolas and Dismount Archers...

S

Smokey of LS

i said the same thing in a different post, they push our pub's back with event content or anything that might be fun to do. and yet they give us new plants... whoohooo once again thnx for makin .001 percent of uo happy again for a week. i personally think they need to get their priorities stright.

E

Eslake

lol

Problem is GD's are always accompanied by Bolas and Dismount Archers...
What do bolas have to do with any of it? :p
You can outrun GDs on foot, and the tamer can't be mounted.

If you rely on mount speed to be effective against an Unmounted character and his even-slower pet, you probably need to rethink how you PvP. :)
You cannot depend on remaining mounted (unless you are using a dis-re-mount cheat script) in PvP. And your non-tamer opponents will generally be mounted unless You bola Them.

Tamers basically suck at PvP. They have points invested in their weapon same as a melee or archer, but their weapon can be Removed from them just by walking around the front of a house or around a sharp corner. Leaving them 220(minimum) skill points short for the rest of the fight - and if they are using a GD, perma-dismounted.
If they're Ninjitsu tamers, they can still go mount-speed, but that's another 99(min) points that aren't giving them any real offense or defense ability.

GDs are more dangerous on SP of course, since everyone isn't running around in all-70s with artifact sprinkles. :D

My last post sounded less enthusiastic than I intended.
I AM glad they're finally (FINALLY!!!) getting around to catching up ROT on SP.
And I'm glad we're getting new plants.

It just doesn't sound like much for 2 publishes and .. how many months? of dev time.
I know they've done the scenario bits too, but the Melissa/Murder event shouldn't have taken 1 full work day for 1 person.
The cleanup has been spread over several publishes, and most of the time spent on it would be deciding what is clean-able and how many points it is worth. 2 days/publish at the utmost.

I really hope they have some neat stuff being kept secret. :)
After being let down so often all these years tho, I really hate to get my hopes up. .. dangit.. *pulls out hair* Why can't they just tell us?!

Smokey - .00000001 .. hehe
On our shard (yes, LS) close to 1 in every 10 are growing plants.
You yourself have deco items in your house, and that's what the new plants will be. ;)

Besides, making new items in the game is a very simple process, and doesn't take up time like you might imagine.

To add a new plant (using existing client graphics as these will) by just adding the seed for it.. Probably 5 minutes.
Making it not crossable or seed bearing, another 10 minutes.

So they aren't "wasting" time on gardening stuff, it was probably no more than 3 hours of 1 day to put them all in.