• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is UO playable on Windows 11?

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting a computer for Christmas and was wondering which would be ok with UO.
Windows 10 or 11 or either?
Thanks in advance

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Works ok, switching between clients using alt tab isn't working aswell as it did in win 10. I usually end up with multiple copies of the same tab and it makes it a bit more difficult.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Works ok, switching between clients using alt tab isn't working aswell as it did in win 10. I usually end up with multiple copies of the same tab and it makes it a bit more difficult.
Microsoft calls that a "feature". Have fun!

Thankfully my CPU is not good enough for Win 11 to run (MS own analyzer) so on Win 10 I shall stay. Woot!

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Microsoft calls that a "feature". Have fun!

Thankfully my CPU is not good enough for Win 11 to run (MS own analyzer) so on Win 10 I shall stay. Woot!
Don't worry you will need a new computer as soon as MS stops updates on your system. Happend to me Windows Xp no more updates next day computer dead had to get new one

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't worry you will need a new computer as soon as MS stops updates on your system. Happend to me Windows Xp no more updates next day computer dead had to get new one
That could just be coincidence. I know a couple folks running XP on secondary systems (not on web or a network) and they're doing pretty well.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll add a little something to this, I recently found out what a difference it makes playing UO with an SSD installed. I'll just leave it at that.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. Put your system and main games on an SSD. Love the 20 second boot.
Videos can go on the disc drive.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll add a little something to this, I recently found out what a difference it makes playing UO with an SSD installed. I'll just leave it at that.
Wait, it does? It seemed basically the same to me.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love it on my Desktop equipped with an SSD (though a way too small one - just 256 GB).

The problem currently is that too many laptops are being made with only an SSD, and instead of using one of the card-type SSDs (that the computers have a slot for), they're sticking a 2.5" format SSD into the HDD bay. Even refurbished computers are being shipped with SSDs instead of hard drives (like my "new" laptop, that is a 2-3 year old model refurbished).

I figure it's a combination of the supply chain issues with the demand for laptops, both caused by COVID. The HDD-shaped SSDs are older technology, were probably cheaper, and a lot of them already in stock.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got a new PC, though it's not on Windows 11 yet. I can't begin to understand how everything is working, my younger son set it up. All I can say is only programs are installed to the C (SSD) drive and he set it up that documents, downloads, desktop, even recycle bin, is all saved to the D (HDD) drive.
My last PC was an amalgamation of new motherboard/power supply and scavenged other bits from my 2 sons, and that was 11 years ago. Finding a BIG difference. I no longer switch on and go do something else while it boots up. I've barely time to get comfy in my chair now, and all those places in UO where I slowed to a crawl I can now run past. :D

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the input ….I.m looking at a all in one from HP but it does come installed with Windows 11.
A lot of my friends that play UO have an all in one and I love the fact they are so compact.

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not necessarily. Linux has come a loong way since the early 2000s. I've played the EC and CC both on Linux and didn't have any problems. But Linux depends entirely on your hardware on whether you'll have a nice time or not. My current GPU crashes the whole system when attempting to play any games on Linux unfortunately.

Either way, buying a new PC to use Windows 11 isn't a smart decision. Hell, microsoft limiting installations based on hardware for Windows 11 isn't a smart decision either. Remember when they said that Windows 10 would be the last iteration?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Mine laptop ask me one day out of the blue if I wanted to upgrade free, I said yes, it download and installed and I been playing just fine

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hated Windows 10 the minute it came out and still loathe it, I would run Windows 7 if it were still supported, but alas..

I run Windows 2019 Server Essentials as my desktop OS, it's Windows 10 as it should've been in my opinion, it's basically Windows 10 with all the excess fat trimmed off.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What irks me is Win 10 was supposed to be the "last" windows... and they would continue to update it etc... but here we are... Win 11... what couldn't fix 10? Have to go with 11 because... what you didn't get enough money out of me for 10??? Now new PC can't run 11 oddly because of whatever stupid reason they think I'm gonna run out and buy yet another PC? I don't think so. Just annoying.

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If your pc is less than a few years old it probably can run Windows 11. Mine said it couldn’t but I just had to change a setting in the BIOS and it was good to go.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We had the same message, sounds crazy since my husband only built those PCs a few years ago and they run pretty much anything.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If your pc is less than a few years old it probably can run Windows 11. Mine said it couldn’t but I just had to change a setting in the BIOS and it was good to go.
I went into the Bios to change what it said to change and NO the thing would not do that. So no can't run it.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I went into the Bios to change what it said to change and NO the thing would not do that. So no can't run it.
I have a Dell I7, 3.6 ghz, 12 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD (1.3 TB available). Running Win 10, 64-bit. MS says that ain't good enough for Win 11. Fine with me.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a Dell I7, 3.6 ghz, 12 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD (1.3 TB available). Running Win 10, 64-bit. MS says that ain't good enough for Win 11. Fine with me.
"I7" means nothing without the generation (of which there's currently ELEVEN generations of the I3/I5/I7/I9). The 9th generation came out in 2018, and I've got a computer from 2018 (went off warranty this past January, then bought refurbed this summer) that's probably 7th or 8th generation I7, that is too old for Windows 11.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"I7" means nothing without the generation (of which there's currently ELEVEN generations of the I3/I5/I7/I9). The 9th generation came out in 2018, and I've got a computer from 2018 (went off warranty this past January, then bought refurbed this summer) that's probably 7th or 8th generation I7, that is too old for Windows 11.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out mine is gen 1. I can assure you, my PC is a heck of a lot older than yours AND we all know how damn fast CPUs are upgraded/changed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I forget exactly what it told me I needed to go into BIOS and change update something to 2.0 but mine doesn't have that... I think it is 1.5 or something I can't remember but yeah there was no 2.0 option there.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem currently is that too many laptops are being made with only an SSD, and instead of using one of the card-type SSDs (that the computers have a slot for), they're sticking a 2.5" format SSD into the HDD bay. Even refurbished computers are being shipped with SSDs instead of hard drives (like my "new" laptop, that is a 2-3 year old model refurbished).
On the bright side, odds are that by the time the SSD wears out or fails (barring stuffing it so full that the small amount free wears out quickly), replacing it with a larger one will be really cheap. My first SSD was a 120-gig Kingston that cost me $65 in 2012. That gave a noticeable boost to everything, especially UO. One thing I "lost," though, was hearing my old mechanical HD start loading files when a player approached but was still offscreen. It was useful back in the days of fighting at the Brit gate and realizing someone was coming before they could see you.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Microsoft finally offered me Windows 11
First attempt failed
And the second attempt is just stuck on restart and nothing but a black screen for almost an hour
Any suggestions