• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is This a Valid Template?

K

Kdog7777

Hey all,

I know what my first few skills will be, this char is kindof a secondary mule, so we start with these four skills by necessity:
LJ
Carp
Alch
LP

Now i want to have fishing, so that leaves 2 more skills & Im torn between

Mage/med

or

Arch/chiv

These both give me the ability to heal, but im not sure either one has enough offense to kill some of the stuff in deep water. Mage version is missing eval, and without tact or anat, will i get enough dmg from arch/chiv alone?

any thoughts either way are much appreciated.
cheers

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lockpicking is only used for treasure-hunting or picking dungeon chests. With your choosen skills, none of both is really doable.
Carpentry .... what do you want with that skill? Is it 'only' for producing boards on your lumber-char? Many carpentry items need other skills too: anvil/forge - up to 80 blacksmith, instruments - 45 music, beds - 75 tailoring, pentagramm/abbatoir - 75 magery, screens - 50 tailoring, fishing poles - 40 tailoring, mill/oven - 50 tinkering and others. Carpentry weapons + armours do profit from having arms lore. So having carpentry on a char, who is not a full crafter seems somewhat wasted to me. Only exception is, if you plan a second carpenter for producing boards - only. (Imho its better to go chopping with a blue beetle and two packhorses and hording logs).
Magery/med with alchemy can do a full fishers job. With summons (earth eles for example) you wont have any problems dealing with (deep) sea serpents. Alchemy with gexplo-pots could do aswell. With little practice you could even use a golem for the sea serpents.
Not shure about arch/chiv. If beeing a human, your damage output could be high enough for those serpents. (20 ana/tact from JoaT) There could be enough damage with a fitting slayer bow (snake/reptile slayer like the juka kings bow) but I havent tested myself. I would feel it like too much crippled. *g*

T

Teiwaz

The ideal Chef-Fisherman-Bard to me is...
Camping (100)
Cooking (100)
Fishing (100)
Magery (100)
Musicianship (120)
Peacemaking (100)
Provocation (100)
= (720) This template covers the Cooking side of crafting that a Fisherman is more ideal with in combonation (no locked chests and no map decodeing needed). :)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ideal Chef-Fisherman-Bard to me is...
Camping (100)
Cooking (100)
Fishing (100)
Magery (100)
Musicianship (120)
Peacemaking (100)
Provocation (100)
= (720) This template covers the Cooking side of crafting that a Fisherman is more ideal with in combonation (no locked chests and no map decodeing needed). :)
Sorry ... but that wasnt the question. *g* Besides that I dont understand the intention of having 120 music but only 100 peace and provo. A Leviathan has a barding difficulty of 160, so your peace and provo wont help. For plain nets, you wont need 120 music.

An 'ideal' chef-fisherman in my eyes would look like:
- 110 magery
- 100 - 110 eval (depending on skillcap)
- 100 - 110 medi (depending on skill cap)
- 100 fishing
- 100 cooking
- 100 alchemy
- 90 poisoning
Cooking, alchemy, poisoning and fishing seem to fit very well together and sounds like a nice template for rp'ing.

If he wants to add GM lockpick to a fisher, I would suggest something like
- 110 magery
- 110 med
- 100 eval
- 100 fishing
- 100 lockpick
- 80 cartho
- 100 alchy
(- +20 more skillpoints depending on skillcap)
80 cartho is enough to do lvl2-maps (which are very occasionally on sea serpents) and the regular lvl1-ones. For those chests is casting ev's and invis-self all needed magery. GM lockpick could be usefull, if he can get paragon chests with one of his other chars. Alchemy is included to come closer to his questioned template. Instead of eval + alchy he also could get gm music + peace. (From what I ve heard at GM area peace never fails.) That way picking dungeon chests would be somewhat comfortable.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Silverbird, do note that kraken can have level 3 maps, so taking cart up to the level 3 minimum or higher would be recommended.

There's also the strategy (that I personally dislike, but it's a valid game playstyle) of swapping out cartography & LP (for digging, the maps recognize who decoded them - they don't care if the person no longer has the carto skill on them).

My personal fisher's template is
120 Magery
120 Eval
100 Med
100 Fishing (when not fishing, I swap out for inscription - but most of the time I leave fishing on the character)
100 Tactics
100 Resist Spells
80 Chivalry

You get more damage over time with a good mage weapon bow, chivalry & tactics (and jewelry to offset the magery loss) combined with summons, at places like peerless (I never got looting rights at peerless, until I stopped casting direct damage, and went to the bow). A reptile slayer makes it even better for a fisher.

My personal Scrappers is also a Water ele slayer. Popping a water ele for over 200 points of damage is instantly fatal for the ele, and nearly so for a paragon water ele in Ilshenar (2 spells required for paragons)

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me myself I made a fishing/stealth mage/chef

110 magery
110 eval
100 med
100 fishing
100 hiding
100 stealth
100 cooking

As far as your temp. Well I dunno. It's quite unique. But if you wanted to keep what you got. Then I would do the archery/chiv

T

Teiwaz

Thank you very much for the info. Silverbird as I wasn't aware of the Barding dificulty thingy.

I'll correct my template I was gonna make with what you sugested. :)

G

Gowron

Hey all,

I know what my first few skills will be, this char is kindof a secondary mule, so we start with these four skills by necessity:
LJ
Carp
Alch
LP

Now i want to have fishing, so that leaves 2 more skills & Im torn between

Mage/med

or

Arch/chiv

These both give me the ability to heal, but im not sure either one has enough offense to kill some of the stuff in deep water. Mage version is missing eval, and without tact or anat, will i get enough dmg from arch/chiv alone?

any thoughts either way are much appreciated.
cheers
OK, Here's my recommendation based on what you've got as your first 4 skills with the assumption that you are going to GM those along with fishing.
I'd go with Archery and magery.
If you are going to pick locks, odds are you're going to need to disarm traps as well. Magery's "Telekenisis" will do that for you.
Archery will get you through the at sea MOBs without needing any tactics or chivalry bonuses. Just a few thoughts based on the other skills you've already identified. Seems like an interesting template to run.

K

Kdog7777

thanks for the replies guys. Just for the record, i have another 7x crafter & that is why im picking up carp. If/when i make the add ons that require both BS & Carp, ill just stone the skills over to one char. The lockpicking is because i have a stockpile of paragon chests that i cant open :)

i know it's not an "ideal" fisherman char, but he's basically a mutt that will be holding the various skills i cant fit on my main crafter.

From the replies here i think im gonna go with arch/chiv
thanks for the input!