• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there any RP in this RPG left...?

Louve

Visitor
Hello Everyone,
this will be a bit long and sentimental post. All those who has a patience to go through it, I thank thee heartily in advance. :)

Quite recently, I have returned to UO after a decade of break. Back then, I used to play on a different shard, a full Role Playing one. RP was mandatory there, meaning you had to really play your character. There was no room for real life talk or use of emoticons (or silence, for the matter; even if one was playing a mute, he or she would communicate with gestures). All conversations and character's behavior was solely rooted in the world he or she lived in. There was no room for reference to the outside UO reality. And it was amazing. The game acquired uncountable added value. Yes, pixels are great, but one can do only so much with gathering pixels and watching numbers grow in the skills/stats. You can do that in any game, really, it doesn't even have to be online. But living your character in a fantasy world, really living it... oh, that is another story. The strongest side of any MMORPG (in my opinion) is the possibility of immersion in the created world. People you meet, relations you make, all while truly living in this fantastic world, that is the essence of a true role play. I remember spending my funniest and most engaging hours on e.g. sitting in a tavern, drinking wine, or relaxing on a bench outside a bank and simply talking to others. I remember characters played so well, that you could almost see them (e.g. a clumsy scribe, with his fingers always stained with ink, constantly adjusting his glasses, a half demon with a "Darth Vader" heavy breathing syndrome, or a semi-sane druid completely in love with nature). And trust me, the game was never boring. And sure, we did go for treasure hunting or monster killing, and there were players and even the whole guilds battles. But that was not all there was! Most of all, there was a STORY. Story behind everything one was doing. It was more than just a game, it was a different reality one could go into and live it. No matter if you were a paladin, a murderer, a blacksmith or a fisherman. You played your character to the full extend. And I miss that.

Now I play on Drachenfels (as I am from Europe, this is one of the only two shards with the best ping for me). There are not many players here, but I do meet few of them from time to time. On most occasions, nobody even bothers to talk. And even if it happens so, they don't try to play their characters but go straight for the real life conversation. It is such a pity. I refuse to believe I am the only one who is looking in this amazing game with the extraordinary developed, intricate economic system, for something more than just a couple of pixels. UO has got an infinite potential to become something more than just running, killing, gathering, crafting and selling, but only if players are willing to make an effort to do so. And yet I have failed to meet any with such an attitude. I want to believe there are more players with a similar yearning who perhaps just gave up.

Wow, that was a long post. If you have managed to go through it all and are still here, please, accept my humble words of gratitude and appreciation. :) Is there perhaps anyone with similar thoughts? Would you like to try to make a change in such direction?

Louve

Visitor
Thank you Archnight for your reply! :) The Catskills shard sounds like a place for me, unfortunately, the low ping for this server in my location might prove problematic for me to play there... :(

EDIT: After a quick testing, I think I just might give it a try, perhaps lags will not be so tiresome. Once more, thank you Archnight! :* :)

Last edited:

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Archnight for your reply! :) The Catskills shard sounds like a place for me, unfortunately, the low ping for this server in my location might prove problematic for me to play there... :(

EDIT: After a quick testing, I think I just might give it a try, perhaps lags will not be so tiresome. Once more, thank you Archnight! :* :)
We are quite a few from europe playing cats :)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The guild that I am in on Siege Perilous participates in what I call single-sided role play. We play out characters through the eyes of our characters most of the time despite what everyone else is doing. It can create some fairly hilarious conversations such as this one:
upload_2019-8-8_13-13-9.png

Names have been redacted to protect the unknowing. There are better examples than this but most are much longer and not as easy to dig up while I'm at work. We also engage in writing short stories regarding our antics and share them with each other. Those stories go largely unpublished but they might look something like this one that I did recently that I decided to share here on stratics:

(RP) - The Release of Chad

It is a shame that few people currently role play but some of us have fun with it even if we have to do it alone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To answer your question NO it's dead thanks to well poor management by the DEVs it's long-dead... unless all you want is a tavern night once in a while with a few ... who once did RP light...

There are a few of us who still RP our characters as you described... but we are few and far between and often go unnoticed. The once-great RP groups are scattered and shattered... much of it now revolves around small pockets and tiny gatherings with little outside of those scheduled times going on and even less at EM Events where a few try to play along with the EM... however they can.

Sorry to say much of it has imploded due to drama and other things such as well RL and the game dying off in a slow death...

Last edited:

Louve

Visitor
Thank you Stinky Pete and MalagAste for your input. I think I might still give it a try. Perhaps I will be lucky enough to encounter those rare few RP players from time to time. Even a few is still so much more than none. And those encounters would definitely not go unnoticed by me :) Thank you both for your effort put in keeping the role playing attitude up!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go to any Shards Governors Meetings as a concerned citizen. The story arc contains Orcs, Aliens, Pirates, Hook, The Fellowship, Sea Monsters, and General Drunkenness. Pick any of those.
On small shards most Governors are on old accounts and RP at the meetings.

:pirate:

Zoogi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Mez nawt shur wut diz RP ting iz yooz tawkin aboot. Frum wut yooz sounin like Catzkillz cood b gewd. Der iz uh cubble on Chezzy az well. Der iz sum on Baja juzt nawt uh lodda hummiez. *goes back to chasing a fly*

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes there is. It merely is harder to find.

Personally the situation you describe sounds too restrictive for me on most days. I can see the appeal but.....I don't know.

-John's player

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are quite a few from europe playing cats
And, because of that, it would be also much welcomed if the Event Moderator on Catskills could, at least sometimes, perhaps on weekends, host Events at a time that is comfortable also for all of those European players playing on Catskills...

Most Events, unfortunately, get held roughly at 8:00 PM US East which, in Europe, depending on where the player lives, may mean somewhere 2:00ish AM, give or take....

It is kinda a prohibitive time to attend an Event for those living in Europe, I wouild imagine....

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Every shard I've been to has a lot of RP. You just gotta talk and find the groups. Try to find the big guilds hanging out around Haven IMO.

Louve

Visitor
@ John: Yes, you are right, that was quite restrictive and I am not looking for something as strict as the situation described. It would be difficult on most of my days, as well. Still, it would be nice to hear e.g. "Well met, my friend" instead of "Hi, you on ICQ?" ;)

Once more, thank you All for your feedback! Based on everything you said, I have eventually decided and already transferred my character to Catskills. I do not count on full time, exquisite RPG, bah, most likely it would be impossible for me to achieve such, as I am not a native English speaker. Yet, perhaps there I have a slightly higher chance to meet some interesting individuals who simply enjoy role playing their characters :)

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@ John: Yes, you are right, that was quite restrictive and I am not looking for something as strict as the situation described. It would be difficult on most of my days, as well. Still, it would be nice to hear e.g. "Well met, my friend" instead of "Hi, you on ICQ?" ;)

Once more, thank you All for your feedback! Based on everything you said, I have eventually decided and already transferred my character to Catskills. I do not count on full time, exquisite RPG, bah, most likely it would be impossible for me to achieve such, as I am not a native English speaker. Yet, perhaps there I have a slightly higher chance to meet some interesting individuals who simply enjoy role playing their characters :)
If you're expecting it non-stop I don't think it was ever like that. Mostly I see it in guild meetings and stuff. The ones that RP non-stop IMO are annoying. Except the Goblin players. That one is not annoying that they are always in character.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...on Drachenfels ... There are not many players ... but I do meet few of them from time to time
Indeed, the population on Drachi has dwindled drastically over the years. Of the players who are left, a few will kindly roleplay along if you address them in RP-fashion, even though they don't consider themselves roleplayers.
Two things help: speaking a bit of German and joining the Drachenfels alliance.

However,if you hope to RP regularly with lots of players, then Catskills is probably a better place for you.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Louve. I am a roleplayer from Catskills and I am usually around on my character Tserim Arryth of the Riverwatch Rangers guild. The RP community here is pretty active and we do a fair amount of scheduled RP events mixed with some spontaneous gatherings. For the most part, most of us observe a generally strict approach to RP and avoid anything OOC in standard chat. Feel free to drop by a tavern night, or event a scheduled event if there is one posted. We usually post them here: News & Events | The Players of Roles

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Everyone,
this will be a bit long and sentimental post. All those who has a patience to go through it, I thank thee heartily in advance. :)

Quite recently, I have returned to UO after a decade of break. Back then, I used to play on a different shard, a full Role Playing one. RP was mandatory there, meaning you had to really play your character. There was no room for real life talk or use of emoticons (or silence, for the matter; even if one was playing a mute, he or she would communicate with gestures). All conversations and character's behavior was solely rooted in the world he or she lived in. There was no room for reference to the outside UO reality. And it was amazing. The game acquired uncountable added value. Yes, pixels are great, but one can do only so much with gathering pixels and watching numbers grow in the skills/stats. You can do that in any game, really, it doesn't even have to be online. But living your character in a fantasy world, really living it... oh, that is another story. The strongest side of any MMORPG (in my opinion) is the possibility of immersion in the created world. People you meet, relations you make, all while truly living in this fantastic world, that is the essence of a true role play. I remember spending my funniest and most engaging hours on e.g. sitting in a tavern, drinking wine, or relaxing on a bench outside a bank and simply talking to others. I remember characters played so well, that you could almost see them (e.g. a clumsy scribe, with his fingers always stained with ink, constantly adjusting his glasses, a half demon with a "Darth Vader" heavy breathing syndrome, or a semi-sane druid completely in love with nature). And trust me, the game was never boring. And sure, we did go for treasure hunting or monster killing, and there were players and even the whole guilds battles. But that was not all there was! Most of all, there was a STORY. Story behind everything one was doing. It was more than just a game, it was a different reality one could go into and live it. No matter if you were a paladin, a murderer, a blacksmith or a fisherman. You played your character to the full extend. And I miss that.

Now I play on Drachenfels (as I am from Europe, this is one of the only two shards with the best ping for me). There are not many players here, but I do meet few of them from time to time. On most occasions, nobody even bothers to talk. And even if it happens so, they don't try to play their characters but go straight for the real life conversation. It is such a pity. I refuse to believe I am the only one who is looking in this amazing game with the extraordinary developed, intricate economic system, for something more than just a couple of pixels. UO has got an infinite potential to become something more than just running, killing, gathering, crafting and selling, but only if players are willing to make an effort to do so. And yet I have failed to meet any with such an attitude. I want to believe there are more players with a similar yearning who perhaps just gave up.

Wow, that was a long post. If you have managed to go through it all and are still here, please, accept my humble words of gratitude and appreciation. :) Is there perhaps anyone with similar thoughts? Would you like to try to make a change in such direction?
We do have a decent-sized (for the UO of 2019) RP Community on Catskills, and all of these are full-time role-players, in that they remain in-character while playing these characters. In addition to a weekly tavern night rotation, as others mentioned, there are at least 1-2 RP-centric events a week, some random gatherings and interaction, and a majority of our governors are full-time role-players, and those that aren't still RP for our council meetings.

I do strongly recommend getting Discord, as that's the program most of us use to coordinate things these days. If you or anyone else is interested, feel free to add me at Judas#8175 and I'll do my best to introduce you to the Catskills RP scene.

Also, here is a link to a forum that many of us are currently using for our stories, events, etc. Anyone is welcome to post: Home | The Players of Roles

Louve

Visitor
Ah, you are great! I so thank you for all your tips and open attitude :)
I will listen to your advice, Judas, to get Discord and allow myself to accept your invitation (it's greatly appreciated!).

Again, huge thanks to each and every one for all your posts. I appreciate hearing all points of view.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On Atlantic, when Tatiana Thorn was having her Britain Orc Tavern nights, I would join and RP there and we would start in with all kinds of shenanigans.

I would RP a debutante-starlett tamer noble girl who did not know how to hold her liquor and Tatiana usually played an Orc Tavern keeper who spoke with a light-hearted, but thick, Orcish brogue. I would pester those that walked by with funny quips and retorts about their manner of dress, or blech really loudly. Tatiana would offer them food and drink in the kind but really gruff manner of orcs. I would continue by completely miss-interpreting people's words and reiterating their speech with some outlandish phrase, due to the fact I was so drunk, I couldn't understand a thing. It was fun drawing people in and getting them to come in and sit on the piece of furniture in slow decay that Tatiana would have to snatch out from under them to refresh. "Refreshing the pillows sir" I think she would say lol.

We would get little crowds to come in and join us. It was so much fun lol.

RP can be a lot of run if you can involve light-hearted comedy into the mix. But I deign to feast on some serious drama-filled RP at some point again like we used to back in 2000.

Atlantic had something of a great RP going once with a Vampire Clan in Malas. I have walked by this old abanonded vampire grave or statue or something that mentions some old guild that used to RP around there and I always found it really interesting; as if a part of the old lore of Atlantic still rested there. Apparently a dead vampire lord rests in the grave. It's somewhere among the houses in Malas, but I can't remember where now. I think things like that are mesmerizing to find in all of UO.

Other servers have stuff like that too. I absolutely love the Dwarf Kingdom, on ATL, that exists north of the city of Britain. It's about 30 or 40 houses all owned by 1 guy or something and they all have an amazing history to them and are build with mushrooms and cannons and mines. Quite mesmerizing to visit.

I would just encourage you to GO OUT AND RP TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT and just start up a comedic situation. You can get people involved pretty easily given the opportunity.

RP is one of those over-looked and vastly under appreciated aspects of gaming these days.

Last edited:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thou shouldst remember thine Elizabethan English, and usest thou that, e'en an' thou dost not know who this "Elizabeth" person is who hath donated 'er name to "Elizabethan."

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's TIS not is.... but it's all good. My characters never talk that way... except maybe to say Aye...

Course a lot of my characters speak in Drow so... there is that. My elves do not speak elvish as they were raised by humans and were banished from elven society because of their parents. So glad about that as juggling that many languages would be a pain.

My Orc doesn't speak he grunts and drools... he has no tongue to speak with.

Blargety

Journeyman
Mez nawt shur wut diz RP ting iz yooz tawkin aboot. Frum wut yooz sounin like Catzkillz cood b gewd. Der iz uh cubble on Chezzy az well. Der iz sum on Baja juzt nawt uh lodda hummiez. *goes back to chasing a fly*
Yub, dis pushdug 'Oomie nub gruk duh ol Duhkta uv dis uzg. Him jusd nub luukin gug enuff tu fine sum dem Are Peeurs him luukin aftur.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"Goood provender, leh-boour-ing hoorses woould haive, goood hai and goood plenty, plooough-oxen do crave;To hehle oout thuh-ee moock, and to ploough oop thuh-ee groound, or else it mehee hinder thee many a poound."
Thomas Tusser: Five Hundred Points of Good Husbandry, 1557