• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there an updated GUIDE for returning players to learn again how to play in UO ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering how vast is the number of items in UO and variables, for someone returning to Ultima Online after Years having been away might seem a task too much daunting to "catch up" again with what matters and what does no longer matter both in PvE and PvP....

Are there any GOOD Guides around that teach again what is worth wearing, what skills are better to learn, items to use, artifacts to equip ?

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, first of all welcome back!

a quick update of whats been added to the game can be seen here: A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online
Theres alot of text but you dont need to know all, even alot of active players dont have the full overview :)
I would also recomend UOGuide - the Ultima Online Encyclopedia as a good reference, if you need to look up items, dungeons, cities, vvv(pvp system) or anything else.

When it comes to specific items to wear in pvp or pve, it doenst matter that much. Theres so many items around now theres like 999 ways to make a suit.
Most is to focus on reaching the hard caps, like 45hci, 45dci, 40lmc, 100% lrc, 2 fasterCast and 6 fasterCastRecovery. As a mage, in pvp and PvE.
If this sounds foreign to you, you can look it up on uoguide with the search button top right :)

I would also recomend using item insurance in your character context menu (click yourselves) so you dont lose items if you die. (this requires gold in bank btw)
Any item with the property (Cursed) will drop if you die, its a negative mod on an item, basically useless item.

As for skills a mage usually have magery, eval, resisting spells, wrestling and extra skills like inscription/parrying/ spellweaving, some have necro/spirit speak, its alot of combinations espessially in PvP. If you havent played for a while I wouldnt recomend pvp or felucca at first.

good luck and just ask questions here or in general chat and we will answer them :)

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, first of all welcome back!

a quick update of whats been added to the game can be seen here: A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online
Theres alot of text but you dont need to know all, even alot of active players dont have the full overview :)
I would also recomend UOGuide - the Ultima Online Encyclopedia as a good reference, if you need to look up items, dungeons, cities, vvv(pvp system) or anything else.

When it comes to specific items to wear in pvp or pve, it doenst matter that much. Theres so many items around now theres like 999 ways to make a suit.
Most is to focus on reaching the hard caps, like 45hci, 45dci, 40lmc, 100% lrc, 2 fasterCast and 6 fasterCastRecovery. As a mage, in pvp and PvE.
If this sounds foreign to you, you can look it up on uoguide with the search button top right :)

I would also recomend using item insurance in your character context menu (click yourselves) so you dont lose items if you die. (this requires gold in bank btw)
Any item with the property (Cursed) will drop if you die, its a negative mod on an item, basically useless item.

As for skills a mage usually have magery, eval, resisting spells, wrestling and extra skills like inscription/parrying/ spellweaving, some have necro/spirit speak, its alot of combinations espessially in PvP. If you havent played for a while I wouldnt recomend pvp or felucca at first.

good luck and just ask questions here or in general chat and we will answer them :)
Thanks for the heads up !

I am frankly lost in what to do....

If I think to go mining or Lumberjacking, I have no clue how Ore/Wood now spawn, with downtimes to the same place ? Randomized so a mining/Lumberjacking runebook is no longer usefull ?

I had a Tamer, but now I understand Pets can learn, but learn "How" ?

Are there pets better then others and, thus, more worth having ?

A bonded pet can be lost ? Can they go "wild" and thus unbond ?

Is a Sampire any good anymore ?

And what about Bulk Order Deeds ? What are now the good and the bad ones ?

I mean, I kinda feel lost when I log in at the Ultima Online screen and have not a single idea of where to start from....

The amount of new informations and changes to digest over these many Years seem so ENORMOUS that I feel intimidated....

I looked at vendors and many items I do not know what they are, whether they are any good and worth the price they are being asked for (usually many millions...) for example, I saw a 120 Resist Scroll "shard bound" ?

"Shard Bound" ? What the hell ?

And why was it so expensive ? I think it was some 25 millions or so....

What blocks me mostly is that I have not a single clue of what Stats/Skills one needs for what spawn to stay alive, which Spawns, of the ones worth going to, of course, can be soloed and which need a group and in both instances, what template to bring to them....

Merth

Journeyman
The simple answer is to do searches for specific questions here on stratics as there is a ton of new stuff. Ive been back for several months and still trying to figure stuff out as I go.

Merth

Journeyman
1. correct mining lumber runebooks are worthless for the most part. spawn has a finite amount in it which when empty respawns as a random type.

2. Pets can be trained upto 5 slots now. Each slot increase gives points which can be used to enhance the pet. Lots of posts and articles on ways to do this.

3. some pets which were "legacy" or prepatch are highly sought after do to stats being over cap. white wyrm, nightmare, bane dragon come to mind. Check before applying points as its possible to make them less desirable if you make a mistake. Also they can fetch alot of gold if selling.

4. for the most part no however there are bugs that sometimes occur.

5. Sampires are still very viable and maybe the best template for solo play.

6. Bulk order deeds seem imo to be more trouble than worth with the new system

7. The economy is ridiculous compared to even a few years ago. Everything useful costs a ton.

8. Shard bound ps's came from a recent event. They still have the normal ones that can be gotten from champs.

9. Different spawns have better templates than others based on what you are fighting however lots of posts on what works and what doesnt.

Jump in and have fun....welcome back

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Considering how vast is the number of items in UO and variables, for someone returning to Ultima Online after Years having been away might seem a task too much daunting to "catch up" again with what matters and what does no longer matter both in PvE and PvP....

Are there any GOOD Guides around that teach again what is worth wearing, what skills are better to learn, items to use, artifacts to equip ?

Coming back can indeed seem overwhelming. Two important questions that help guide us the best are:

when did you last play?

What server do you play or plan on playing?

Helps to know the state of the game when you last left it. Many servers have new/returning player centers to help you out. I also find that the players who have the best success coming back are often part of a nice alliance that can guide them with certain things. Also if you let us know what kind of characters you have access to still, people can guide you in directions

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Coming back can indeed seem overwhelming. Two important questions that help guide us the best are:

when did you last play?

What server do you play or plan on playing?

Helps to know the state of the game when you last left it. Many servers have new/returning player centers to help you out. I also find that the players who have the best success coming back are often part of a nice alliance that can guide them with certain things. Also if you let us know what kind of characters you have access to still, people can guide you in directions
1 - If my memory serves me well, it was shortly after the Peerless content was added.... in what Year was that ?

2 - Catskills

3 - I have a Tamer, a Spellweaver, some crafting skills, a Mage and some other skills available, like a Warrior I think. Not sure about actual skill and stats points....

I would actually need to earn a few +5 Commendation Scrolls to increase the Stats CAP but am not sure what Template would be best for that Champ, what group to be able to join periodically doing that spawn since I would need several Commendation Scrolls to scroll up the various characters....

Also, I have some pets saved in in the Stables but not sure how to look up their stats/skills, what to actually train them up into and all that...
Furthermore, what "good" Spawns a Tamer could be succesfull and with what pet and what Skills Template ?

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 - If my memory serves me well, it was shortly after the Peerless content was added.... in what Year was that ?

2 - Catskills

3 - I have a Tamer, a Spellweaver, some crafting skills, a Mage and some other skills available, like a Warrior I think. Not sure about actual skill and stats points....

I would actually need to earn a few +5 Commendation Scrolls to increase the Stats CAP but am not sure what Template would be best for that Champ, what group to be able to join periodically doing that spawn since I would need several Commendation Scrolls to scroll up the various characters....

Also, I have some pets saved in in the Stables but not sure how to look up their stats/skills, what to actually train them up into and all that...
Furthermore, what "good" Spawns a Tamer could be succesfull and with what pet and what Skills Template ?
If you have any nightmares or ww's don't do anything with them until you catch up on pet training. They are also now considered pre-patch and worth quite a bit.

Jelinidas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Welcome back! Catskills has a lot of helpful people and guilds. Fire up general chat and say hello. You will find lots of help to get you going!