• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is The Sims Online over?

M

Max CR

I saw that on the "My account" page at ea.com, that there is now an option to subscribe to EA land instead of The Sims ONline.

Is The Sims ONline finally over?? Is it being replaced by EA Land? If thats true I am suprised I would think the word "The Sims" being in a game's name would attract more players.

G

I am not sure if The Sims Online is over or not. I know that when I go to www.thesimsonline.com , it now takes you to the new EA-land website. And the way I look at it, the game is the same physically, but overall, it isn't the same. Friendships and lots that we had in the old cities are gone. Everything we worked hard on is gone. Except for skills and what we owned in the other cities, we are basically starting over from scratch. Is it more challenging? Yes. For alot of us, it reminds us of how TSO was in the begining. Is it more fun? I don't think so. The new economy isn't working as well as we were told it was going to be. I think that has alot to do with the fun of the game going down. Players are seeing this as a "job" rather than a game.

G

The game EA-Land is based on The Sims Online's engine ... so yes, TSO is over, but we have now EA Land , which is like TSO but so much improved. Its under development at the moment - Beta period. check www.ea-land.com

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

The game EA-Land is based on The Sims Online's engine ... so yes, TSO is over, but we have now EA Land , which is like TSO but so much improved. Its under development at the moment - Beta period. check www.ea-land.com

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this at all. If they are eventually upgrading the game to The Sims 2 Graphics, why change it to EA Land. I would be fine with having the actual "Land" we play in called EA Land. But naming an online game that is just lame.

G

You know, when I heard about EA-Land in the begining, I thought it was what the new city was going to be called. Not the whole friggin' game!

C

Cruz Cavera

Me too, I sorta had a feeling they might change it. Calling a game "EA Land" doesn't sound very entertaining. There a lot of Sims players out there that don't even know TSO exists. As well, as new Sims 2 players the have never played "The Sims."

G

Here's a complicated answer for you: The Sims Online is over, and is just beginning - under a new name!

Confused yet?

Take a look through the links provided in the threads stickied at the top of this forum. They'll explain everything that's been going on, and where we're going.

I assume you're rejoining us after a long hiatus? If so, Welcome Back!

C

Cruz Cavera

But if the Sims Online website doesn't exist, and they are working on an EA Land logo.. How is it not changing?

G

And I guess a follow up question is, why change the name of the game instead of keeping The Sims Online and have EA Land be a city?

G

<blockquote><hr>

And I guess a follow up question is, why change the name of the game instead of keeping The Sims Online and have EA Land be a city?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe because The Sims Online had a bad publicity, reviews &amp; reputation and they are trying to start all over based on TSO's engine. The name is not that important, its all about whats in the game!

G

Well from what I can see, there is nothing different so far ... well except custom content. Please correct me if I am wrong.

C

Cruz Cavera

And by slapping a new lame name on it, and contacting some of the older players through E-mail will help? I was in another another thread looking at some of the old TSO commercials, and YouTube posters are asking, "Where do I get it? I want it badly." These people are looking for The Sims Online, not EA Land. If they inhanced TSO with TS2 graphics and re-released it on the market, it would do great. That's just my point of view. :/

G

Cruz,
I think you and I were in the same topic a few minutes ago. It is sad to think what this game could have been if it wasn't dropped and left to sit for so many years with nothing being done to it. Most of us kept paying out money and hoped something would be updated. There were some good ideas in TC that was being tested and it would have been wonderful if it made it to AV or any city.

Overall, I think they made the change to show they are dedicated to a complete change of the game. So far, the changes are minimal and we don't see much, but I am hiping for the best. Honestly, this is the most I have seen in this game since I started back in 2/03.

C

Cruz Cavera

Right, but do you have to change what the game started out as? The Devs are doing great, so why the need for a new name?

G

Well I think Madji had something with her last post. TSO became known has a "dead" game to others who did not play. To us, it was alive and well but to the outside world it didn't exsist. The new name gives the dev team a chance to market the game over again without the bad memories from long ago. I just hope that is the reasoning behind it. Besides, what's in a name? I figure the most important thing right now is them fixing the problems and moving this game into the future.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Right, but do you have to change what the game started out as? The Devs are doing great, so why the need for a new name?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short (but accurate) answer is that TSO never achieved success, and EA wants their golden "The Sims" name distanced from this game. "The Sims" is one of their success stories (understatement), and TSO tainted that image.

Also, "EA Land" allows for identification with EA without limiting the game, or identifying with "The Sims." It appears that in future there will be portals in this game for us to access, or sample, other EA games. In that sense, the moniker TSO won't be appropriate, as this will not be "sims online" but a community of EA game players.

G

Dali,
Now that makes alot of sense. Do I want the whole "porals" to other EA games? Hell no. I have my PS2 for those games. Give me my TSO or EA-Land... whatever you want to call it... for my PC. lol

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Dali,
Now that makes alot of sense. Do I want the whole "porals" to other EA games? Hell no. I have my PS2 for those games. Give me my TSO or EA-Land... whatever you want to call it... for my PC. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked Lee about this a while back, and he affirmed that my answer is correct (about EA wanting to distance this game from "The Sims"). How does it feel part of an embarrassment?

OT: Great to see you Duncan!

G

All I can say is TSO survived after everything it has been though. People are still here. It may be a failure in their eyes but in mine, it is amazing. How many games do you know of don't go through an update for years yet people still play. People still pay their monthly amounts just to play the same thing over and over? Most games that go through that just shut down. Yes, TSO has evolved (you see? I used big word... lol) into EA-Land. Now, lets see what they do with it.

BTW: Good to see you too Dali...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well I think Madji had something with her last post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a HE.

Anyways, i believe that the name was also given as they are planning to bring in some other "mini games" into EA Land ... for it to become like the land of EA games.

I

imported_Armonia

I think it would be nice to have a link to the forums on the EA-land site. I had to bookmark the forums to get back to them.

B

Bindy

Basically TSO failed as a game for EA and from what Ive heard they dont want to be associated with The Sims Online anymore so that would be one good reason for the name change. Ive also heard they would rather we call our sims Avatars now and not sims.
TSO is dead and its now EALand but no matter what I will always call my sims "sims".

PS - My appologies to Dali for basically repeating her answer. But yup what she said is what Ive heard from many.

K

Krystal Bell

Yes its gone. No more TSO just this generic EALand now which Im yet to fully understand what its supposed to be as a game now. If EALand is to be a portal for other EA games I dont see that being a very good idea in my opinion. I cant imagine people logging into EALand to go play other EA games it just seems too odd and honestly dumb. If I wanted to log into say Pogo to play there well thats what I would do, I wouldnt log into EALand then go play Pogo. Im really not sure where they got an idea like this but it doesnt sound logical to me, maybe it does to others but I just dont see it working out very well. Lets hope.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Yes its gone. No more TSO just this generic EALand now which Im yet to fully understand what its supposed to be as a game now. If EALand is to be a portal for other EA games I dont see that being a very good idea in my opinion. I cant imagine people logging into EALand to go play other EA games it just seems too odd and honestly dumb. If I wanted to log into say Pogo to play there well thats what I would do, I wouldnt log into EALand then go play Pogo. Im really not sure where they got an idea like this but it doesnt sound logical to me, maybe it does to others but I just dont see it working out very well. Lets hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the idea of having EA Land as a portal to other games is so that all EA game purchasers can be told: "Visit EA Land and meet other EA game enthusiasts like yourself. Pick an avatar, build a house, get a job and be part of the EA Land community. While there, you will have access to many EA games. Try them out, see what you like, and buy one for your very own!"

Some may decide they enjoy EA Land, some may enjoy the sample games and buy them -- so EA wins. I don't know why but that old Tennessee Ernie Ford song, "Sixteen Tons" keeps running through my mind.

K

Krystal Bell

<blockquote><hr>

ITS OVER, GET OVER IT !!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My goodness! Well, Im sure we will get over it eventually but for now Im not sure I can. Its an upsetting thing for some of us and Im sorry that bothers you so much.

G

Don't feel like reading the whole thread, sorry.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...you got a duck.

I don't care what they call it, it's still TSO, just a new version.

If folks are going to declare that TSO is "over" because the new version is too different than the old one...then really the game ended all those years ago when the OTHER new version came out. You know, the one with jobs and pets...

P.S. No ninety-day notice, either. Calling it EALand is just a marketing technique known as "rebranding". It's been all the rage in recent years in the business world...

I

imported_MARCIN2006

From www.tsomania.net

<blockquote><hr>

Farewell Production Cities!
Posted by: Matt on Thursday February 21, 2008
This afternoon at approximately 3:00 PM PST the production cities of The Sims Online breathed their last breath. The game that we have played for a little over five years now ceases to exist, making way for a new experience called EA-Land.

For me in particular it was a bittersweet moment, being one of the first to enter Alphaville in October of 2002 and today being one of the last to leave. As I sat in my lot which had been rebuilt to an exact replica of what it was back in 2002, memories of many friends who I had played the game with came back. While the city is now gone, the memories will remain.

EA-Land has some mighty big shoes to fill, and I hope the team is up to creating a worthy replacement so many new memories can be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "legacy" cities have closed, it is still TSO only with a huge multi city map and new features
!

It is quite sad to see them close...