• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the average player on Siege "better" at UO than production shard players?

• Thread starter MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Revvo

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's pretty easy to be good at one niche of U.O, being good at EVERYTHING is the challenge :)

M

MoonglowMerchant

It's pretty easy to be good at one niche of U.O, being good at EVERYTHING is the challenge :)
You are free to post in this thread as you like, however the intent is to compare average players on Siege to average players on production shards.

I'm sure that any shard has it's share of players who are expert in one or more systems. As you said, you can't really compare experts as they are all experts.

What is the difference between average players?

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think on average I'd give the PvM nod to Siegers simply because I doubt that the average production shard players has ever done a spawn.
It's also stupid to compare a LARGE portion/community of players who have no interest or desire to participate in pvp or related situations.

Thats like comparing a crafter on Sieges pvm ability compared to a production shard 'sampire'.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Now we are getting to it...

So, if being "better" at UO is determined by overall knowledge and skill rank the following:

The average Siege player
The average Production shard player
The average Development team member
:cool: simple math, like adding a column of "zeros"(0's) ... they're all average, and their sum is "average".

and as threads go.... re "thought provoking" ... I'll be generous, 0.1 as troll food, else no "ranking" warranted(old school).

but ... I will add one more thought ...The best of three?(home away test) ... Decathalon format ... PvP, PvM, house placement/decorating, vendor running/renting, dungeon crawls (solo, group, organizing event) auction houses, doom success ....
FULL range of UO ... might need go as far as a dodecathalon ... higher ...

*shrugs*

No ... If your ">Better at UO<" ... you need to give up home field advantage ...
you're...la
:cool: common error,
your (yo̵or; often yôr)

1. of, belonging to, made by, or done by you: also used before some formal titles Your Honor, Your Majesty
2. Informal the: used to designate a typical member of a group or class: often followed by average.

The "state" of "being" Better at UO (am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been) is the "state" under consideration ... in the range of: "average" ... and my use of it was in the same vein as your Honor, your Majesty .... which everyone KNOWS is not: you are honor, or , you are majesty ... see?

Conditional; posessive singular pronoun; object/subject ... IF your face (not IF you are face) ... subtle difference ...
—used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the<your typical teenager>

thanks for playing *baso baritone* La La La laaaaaa !

M

MoonglowMerchant

It's also stupid to compare a LARGE portion/community of players who have no interest or desire to participate in pvp or related situations.

Thats like comparing a crafter on Sieges pvm ability compared to a production shard 'sampire'.
I didn't realize it was stupid. I thought it was a comparison.

Since the definition forwarded by some is that to be "better" at UO implies a better understanding of the game, then by abstaining from participation in PvP, the average production shard player would, according to that definition, not be as "good" at UO as the average Siege player.

M

MoonglowMerchant

what is the difference between a duck ? :eek:snap:
Average players on Siege and production shards...you know, the point of the thread?

Average does not equal average when we are talking about the averages of two different populations.

Comprende?

M

MoonglowMerchant

"and I wont make you any smarter ..."

That much is certain.

LordNoximos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most Siege Players couldn't hack it with the new changes so they took themself to the "old school" equivalent, and when they come back, they're still as bad as they were when they left.

Siege players can't compare on regular shards.

K

Kiminality

I'm better than any Siege player!

... At not playing Siege

In seriousness, if that's a word, the difference between the shards would probably make a direct comparison unrealistic.

S

Saris

I dont think this has any bearing on what a better player is.

PVP, yes since its forced on seige
PVM, not a chance in hell

The only reason seige has lower numbers is that PVP has alwasy been and always will be wack in UO

They made the shard for ppl who's ego's were too big for a normal shard as proven in this topic.

come on you want to pvp, play a fps

no matter how good you could be with a dagger the moment I swing a sword at you and hit you once in rl you DIE.

The PVP aspect in UO is for advanced scripters.

Looking for a an brain vs brain type thing then play chess, you want to kill ppl, play a fps.

want to play an rpg with real ppl? thats what UO is for, I never remeber pvp as being a big thing in any rpg.

Ppl generaly rp chars they find interesting, and do things they would like to but can't in RL, kinda makes me wonder about reds in general.

Do ppl in seige know more about UO than your avg player? no, why? Cause your average player nowadays is a vet, some ppl just prefer siege some prefer to play on a bigger prodution shard like atlantic.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose you could say, the production shards have been the training grounds for most of the Siege players...la
What if we played since day one? Were we in training for Siege? Something tells me you weren’t even born in 1997, because only a 10 year old would want to compare 2 completely different rule sets and then say one is better. :gee:

The fact is, that if you sent your best character on Siege to a production shard, he would die before you could even damage the other person. This is because our armor and weapons are 100 times better than yours.

And "if" we could transfer our mains to Siege the same thing would happen.

Siege does try to follow old school rules, but this does not mean that the PvPers are better there. Thats like saying the American League is better than the National League because the American League has the designated hitter. So I say to you again... Are you 10?

And the idea of dueling on test is a good one, but I don't see you jumping all over that because then it'll just be proved that all you ever do is talk smack. And the fact that you already have well over 1900 posts proves my point, your on these forums more than on Siege.

When it comes down to putting you money where your mouth is you just come up with some smart remark to change the subject.

I suggest a life in politics for you when you grow up, you will excel at it with your ability to wave at someone with one hand while the other hand is giving them the finger

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to interrupt this meeting of the Siege Self Praise Society, but I think "better" is such a pointless adjective to describe any one playstyle in a mosaic of playstyles. Are the crafters are on Siege better than the crafters on other shards? Maybe better employed and with a different focus, but while what they craft may be influenced by the economy and pvp-focus of the shard, crafters tend to use the same set of skills when determining what to make with what materials. Are roleplayers on Siege better? While I've heard a bit about Siege roleplaying, I believe the Europa gang are more famous. Of course, saying that any set of roleplayers are better storytellers is subjective and a little silly.

Then we get to the matter of pvp which seems to be what the "better" is about. Without the safety of Trammel, are Siege players better at combat on average since it is a necessity rather than a luxury? This is possible. With only one character and less reliance on equipment, there may be more focus on tactics and personal ability.

Again though, on average, I'd say we're all pretty mediocre players, and mediocre is the same the world around. I noticed with some players new to pvp that despite multiple deaths, they kept making the same mistakes again and again and again. It wasn't until I told them exactly what they were doing wrong did they "learn." Just because Siege is a tougher playground, doesn't mean the kids on it learn any faster.

S

Saris

Na its a simple matter of playstyle, any vet knows what to do its just that we get out of prctice lol, Its funny when I play seige its to get away from the competition on the atlantic shard, my mule is loved on siege but he is no better than my atlantic mule.

Its playstyle and most dont just play seige btw they play abour 4 or 5 shard

A

Atlantian

I play there every once in a while. And for the most part the vet players will leave you alone. But here lately I've seen dipsticks (and you can tell they are) that gank the new players as soon as they show up. So why would any new player even want to go to SP?

H

HillBilly

No seige players arent any better. They lack the items we have on Production shards (unless they rich on Seige...but many arent).

R

Rumpelstiltskin

We have several siege players on Great Lakes, all horrible. Real answer, no they arent.

I agree with this, I played siege after AOS hit (because sp didnt get AOS for like 8 months after release)..

Siege Pvpers are bad,

The best dexxer on siege was William X, William X was far from the best dexxer on chessy,

One of the best mages was Covenent, Covenent got trashed on Normal shards.

If we are taking two normal players,
The advantage will go to the Siege player because the Average UO Production Player is a trammy and has no concept of pvp, However the Average Siege player is like Krystal and has some knowledge of PVP