• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Malas in the Ethereal Void?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but it is surrounded by it.

Best way to explain it is that it's in the same situation as the Gargoyle lands in Ultima 6.. that is, the area it occupies in space/time has become unstable and it has begun collapsing into the void between worlds (AKA the Ethereal Void].

Or at least, i'm pretty sure that's what was said about it. My memory could, as always, be wrong.

Might be an interesting event to have the collapse speed up and break off a few holes/chunks in the areas players can't place houses. :D

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but it is surrounded by it.

Best way to explain it is that it's in the same situation as the Gargoyle lands in Ultima 6.. that is, the area it occupies in space/time has become unstable and it has begun collapsing into the void between worlds (AKA the Ethereal Void].

Or at least, i'm pretty sure that's what was said about it. My memory could, as always, be wrong.

Might be an interesting event to have the collapse speed up and break off a few holes/chunks in the areas players can't place houses. :D
Rephrased question: Is the Malas Sea of Stars really the same thing as the Ethereal Void?

Sounds like you think yes.

Now the question is....Was this said someplace, or is it just a good deduction?

-Galen's player

ps: Yeah a couple of chunks of Malas falling off could be an excellent spectacle.

S

Sunrise

OOOOHHHH they are finally going to nuke luna???? Nice :D

I knew this black rock would come in handy some day....Blow luna up I say... :D Come back to brit.... :D Paladins are just...smelly :p

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rephrased question: Is the Malas Sea of Stars really the same thing as the Ethereal Void?

-Galen's player

ps: Yeah a couple of chunks of Malas falling off could be an excellent spectacle.

Sadly all just deduction. Malas was the poorest planned of the landscape additions... they told us next to nothing of its history or specifics. At least with Islh we got a lot of fiction to read... what we got for Malas amounted to about 3 paragraphs.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Malas is a trailer park... the only things missing are the tornadoes and hurricanes.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No its not at all, nor is the space around it.

the ethereal void is a place people who die for good go. its pretty much limbo, people have been rescued from the void to be brought back to life by the avatar in past ultimas, sounds like a good place to put spawn cams.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No its not at all, nor is the space around it.

the ethereal void is a place people who die for good go. its pretty much limbo, people have been rescued from the void to be brought back to life by the avatar in past ultimas, sounds like a good place to put spawn cams.
That happened in exactly one Ultima game, and the canonality of said game is in question to this day. Especially since he was intended to stay dead until the final few revisions.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im gonna go ahead and say Malas is infact in the ethreal void.
also wasnt that moonglow clone there?

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player

I believe the area surrounding malas is the abyss since the divide of the abyss is that small chunk of land where the labyrinth entrance is now. If the abyss and the ethereal void are one in the same then yes it is in the ethereal void or atleast being consumed by it and surrounded by it.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Malas is very odd ... it's supposed to be a nightmare world (where Ilshenar is the peaceful place), yet most of Malas is virtually harmless and home to great expances of peaceful housing (while Ishenar has paragons and no paragons). It definitely looks like it was originally intended to be a PvP mass-warfare battleground ... cities of light and darkness with a choke-point-filled road between them.

But back on topic ... I don't tend think of the abyss around Malas as being the ethereal void ... unless there is canon to contradict me, I tend to see them as two seperate dimensions. The abyss is the lack of a world - it can be mapped out like holes in the world. The ethereal void strikes me more complicated ... something deeper, further, harder to touch, something that you just can't draw on a map.

Thinking of it in terms of shards of the gem of immortality, the abyss is like a cracked surface of the crystal, while the void is like the space between crystals.

(consistant or not with the official lore, at least this is what sits in my imagination)

O

Ozymandies

I seem to recall that it is floating above the rest of Sosaria. So it is up in the sky. Might be the Void, though.

OZ

Lord Sir Scott

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your thinking like event related the answer is no...
If i had to guess your looking for some place to use your cloack of corruption...
The hole in Moonglow was a etheral void area the use of the cloak was benfical there.
the room the wierd moongate in maginca led to when it worked is also that type of area as i can recall there and not be bumped to brit now.
maybe more related

R

RedDaTeef

Malas is a planet that circles Sosaria, just as Tokono is.
Think space travel ala Ultima 2...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Technically Malas floats above the Ethereal void inside of one of the facets of the Gem of Immortality. Apparently, the facet is supposedly unstable (well aside from the fact that it's been remarkably stable for the past 5 years) and destroys/rebirths occasionally.

Or at least according to the fiction.

Beyond that... it's a trailer park with a city everyone wants to destroy.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm ... Malas would make a rather flat planet.

Then again, Fel/Tram are doughnuts.

(*decides to stop before someone starts questioning my sanity*)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And T2A is underground and Ilshenar makes NO sense, and you can put 125 full sized armoires in a small pouch.

Such are the physics of UO.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Malas is very odd ... it's supposed to be a nightmare world (where Ilshenar is the peaceful place), yet most of Malas is virtually harmless and home to great expances of peaceful housing (while Ishenar has paragons and no paragons). It definitely looks like it was originally intended to be a PvP mass-warfare battleground ... cities of light and darkness with a choke-point-filled road between them.

Remember, there is a switch in Doom that had the line in the cliloc that when it was thrown, stated that doom was effectively Fel Ruleset for 15 minutes. It was never implemented for actual use, though...

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought that as well. Too bad it never came out like that.. :sad4: