• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it just me?

• Thread starter imported_Renee TSO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Renee TSO

Ok i have been noticing little changes here and there but as of today i have to ask...is it just me?

Some time ago there was a new blog asking if they were to change the name of simoleans what do we want it to be. I never paid attention to it because i thought they would never change the name. I didnt think founders would stand for it since this IS the sims and all.

Today i log into stratics and while i was waiting for the screen to load city hall something caught my attention out of the corrner of my eye. "Happy avataring!" I thought how odd but then i know everyone was up half the night and many were playing other games to kill time so i just wrote it off as a type-o.

Yay! TSO is up and running from a small update. Ok so now i have new desktop icons...i dont like them but i just shrug it off. Heres the kicker for me...at the log in screen it says "your avatars: which do you want to play?"(might not be word for word sorry) Avatars? Since when?? I dont play The avatars online! *grrr*

Ok so heres my question...where is EA going with all of this? Will it ever be the sims again? I have this bad gut feeling that EA is trying to get away from the whole sims online thing to bring in a bigger audience or just different..different doesnt always mean bigger. My other gut feeling is that this might backfire. I know i'll feel ditched if it becomes a whole another game. Im already feeling that way and i dont like it. Im sure i wont get answers to my questions and i understand that but is it just me??

P.S. dont get me wrong i love change but dont tell me you handed me a pair a blue jeans when i can see that its a pair of dress pants. Yes there pants but please!

G

The thing is EA Land is seperate from TSO and doesnt have the right to use the The Sims name at all anymore, thus all the changes like avatars and new name for money. There isnt anything we can do about this, its a trade off the team had to accept to get to make the new game that is Ea Land.

The big plan is to add portals in EA Land to other EA Games. I hope it will be as cool as the devs make it sound when they talk about it.

We're all sad to lose what for many of us was a large part of our lives for many years, but we have to move to the future. The other option was to close the game entirely. I for one am very glad they didnt choose that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I hope it will be as cool as the devs make it sound when they talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]Not a chance, as long as EA are involved in any capacity.

C

Carter'

<blockquote><hr>

The big plan is to add portals in EA Land to other EA Games. I hope it will be as cool as the devs make it sound when they talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So EALAND is going to be a portal

G

The only way for our game to survive, it had to move completely away from the Sims franchise. Everything from the name to the "avatars" had to go. So along with everything else the dev team has been undertaking, they have needed to make changes everywhere else to what things are called. This is why the log in screen always said EA-Land Now hosting The Sims Online. Yesterday, there is no longer any mention of TSO. This is why people are saying TSO is dead because in reality it is.

EA Land is going to become a portal to other EA Games. I have a feeling this is going to help keep the game around a lot longer and even if it takes some time to become profitable, EA may be able to over look that fact.

I

imported_Renee TSO

Ahhhhh! So basicly this will turn into what Home is going to be for the PS3 but they are using the sims for the PC version? I assumed that ea land was just going to be a portal for the other citys kind of like a sims downtown or sims vacation pack. Also i guess this means we will adventualy lose the other citys too? No wonder its hard to navagate around IH and the other little citys...it will be a slow migration to ea land.

This makes sence now. Thanks for explaining it to me. However i dont think i feel any better lol I went from a little bit angry yesterday too...sad today. I have always writen off that whole "tso is dead" thing but now i understand. They must have posted all of this the month i was too busy playing and didnt do any reading about it. This also explains why so many quit right before the changes, well of my friends anyway.

*sigh*

G

I can understand the frustration with things being changed, but it really doesn't seem that different. So far, the major issue seems to be name changing. Whats in a name? A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. I think its the same TSO with a few new rules and a revatlized interests by other new players. So what if its a portal for other games? It'll still be the same to us, right? Maybe a little more conveneient for people who switch from game to game, but I like it. I'm glad someone went to the trouble to change things and revamp the place. The last time I came, the economy really was dead and things just weren't like they were in the beginning.

G

Sad but true. But, it appears alot of the game will remain the same. Plus, there are alot of good things coming that has me excited. When and if they come is still yet to be seen... but it's something to hold on to. Don't be sad. It was either Maxis sold to EA or TSO got shut down. I'll take the changes and keep the game up and running if you ask me

I

imported_Danny Dots

I don't think TSO is dead, TSO is EA Land just with a different name.

G

For now it is. Let's wait to see what other changes are coming to see how far away from TSO they want to go.

Z

Zsazsa Zee

I understand the march toward the future......In my heart, though, I will remain a SIM forever.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

For now it is. Let's wait to see what other changes are coming to see how far away from TSO they want to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if those changes came and they still called it TSO? I think whatever changes are coming our way are going to be good positive changes

Edit to fix a typo

G

I refuse to call us the A word. In my mind we will always be sims. This game will always be TSO (Until they start making radical changes). And I will always call my money Simoleans... lol

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

I refuse to call us the A word. In my mind we will always be sims. This game will always be TSO (Until they start making radical changes). And I will always call my money Simoleans... lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way, but to respect the devs I am trying my hardest to cope to the changes. I will always first type TSO and then delete it to type EA Land, same with Sim and Avatar.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The thing is EA Land is seperate from TSO and doesnt have the right to use the The Sims name at all anymore, thus all the changes like avatars and new name for money. There isnt anything we can do about this, its a trade off the team had to accept to get to make the new game that is Ea Land.

We're all sad to lose what for many of us was a large part of our lives for many years, but we have to move to the future. The other option was to close the game entirely. I for one am very glad they didnt choose that.

[/ QUOTE ]
See? This is what I don't understand - why does EA *NOT* have a license to use the Sims name? EA *is* the Sims.
When I load Sims 2, I get this big EA splash screen and a voice whispers "EA Games - Challenge everything."
If I go to a game site, all the sims games have EA as the author/manufacturer/whatever.
All of the bases used for cc are from Sims 1 (maybe some from S2), an EA property.
All of the objects and skins are also from Sims 1.
Even the game code itself is mostly derived from Sims1.

How is it that they are not allowed to use a trademark they clearly own???

I

imported_Calina.Rhiannon

<blockquote><hr>

See? This is what I don't understand - why does EA *NOT* have a license to use the Sims name? EA *is* the Sims.
When I load Sims 2, I get this big EA splash screen and a voice whispers "EA Games - Challenge everything."
If I go to a game site, all the sims games have EA as the author/manufacturer/whatever.
All of the bases used for cc are from Sims 1 (maybe some from S2), an EA property.
All of the objects and skins are also from Sims 1.
Even the game code itself is mostly derived from Sims1.

How is it that they are not allowed to use a trademark they clearly own???

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been trying to understand... EA owns Maxis, making Maxis and it's games a division of EA iteself. So wouldn't EA own the overall rights to all Maxis games?

And I for one miss my Reticulated Splines.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Dude!!! You need to buy some expansion packs! Seriously!

But, yeah, point well taken. I don't understand the legalities and logistics of it all either.

I

imported_Danny Dots

Does it really matter? We still have our game! Without these changes we would be no more. Therefore we should embrace each change and make it our own

I

independent117

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that name doesnt work for me but sims will always work for me rofl

G

<blockquote><hr>

Does it really matter? We still have our game! Without these changes we would be no more. Therefore we should embrace each change and make it our own

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it matters.
If I suspect that someone is less than honest with me, it affects the way I relate with them.
This is also true with stores that advertise sales that aren't *really* sales, service people who overcharge me for shoddy work, and any other kind of company that tries to pretend that my welfare is the reason they are in business.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it matters.
If I suspect that someone is less than honest with me, it affects the way I relate with them.
This is also true with stores that advertise sales that aren't *really* sales, service people who overcharge me for shoddy work, and any other kind of company that tries to pretend that my welfare is the reason they are in business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who isn't being honest here?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Danny. Let's embrace the changes and stop griping about nothing. Who'se been less than honest? I think the dev team has been doing a great job of keeping the players up to date.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't *know* that anyone isn't being honest. But this statement (which was a repeat of what was heard from EA):

"The thing is EA Land is seperate from TSO and doesnt have the right to use the The Sims name at all anymore, thus all the changes like avatars and new name for money. There isnt anything we can do about this, its a trade off the team had to accept to get to make the new game that is Ea Land."

begs explanation.
EA owns the Sims and all associated trademarks. To claim EA Land must change all Sims related things because of copyright concerns makes no sense - at least on the surface.

What is probably closer to the truth (IMO) is that the suits at EA refused to *allow* EA Land to be associated with the Sims. A company decision that is well within their purview. But nothing to do with legality.

G

I dont think I said anything about legal reasons, but if I were you I would ask the devs, they explained it all in the pub so I'm sure they will tell you. I cant remember all the reasons but that was like 6 mo ago and my memory isnt that good.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I dont think I said anything about legal reasons, but if I were you I would ask the devs, they explained it all in the pub so I'm sure they will tell you. I cant remember all the reasons but that was like 6 mo ago and my memory isnt that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry if it sounded as if I was putting it on you - not my intention - it's just your post reminded me of what was said.