• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] is golems still best way to train this?

Jason

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Returning player- in the old days, best way to gain fighting skills (weapons) - was to bash on a golem for a day or 2

is this still the case? or is there a different way to train these days?

Cheers in advance for Replies

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May be using WW on proper monsters (depending on your level) is a better way.
I think WW is faster. I used jewels to bump my skill as high as possible the last time I trained after reaching the minimum level needed to whirlwind. I then did the rikktor spawn in destard and the cavern of discarded ratmen - just chaining whirlwinds - to go all the way to 120.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Returning player- in the old days, best way to gain fighting skills (weapons) - was to bash on a golem for a day or 2

is this still the case? or is there a different way to train these days?

Cheers in advance for Replies
Hi there,

Just thought I would chip in on this one... as a returning player a lot will have changed (depending on how long you were gone) and while a Golem will give you skill points it wont give you experience... people these days seem to want to get skill maxed out as quickly as possible... which is fine, no one likes waiting but by training on monsters you will learn or re learn how to deal with various monsters, what tactics / weps to use agains certain critters and also which special moves and supporting skills will fit your play style.

Please give credit to UO guide for the below swords training guide...

Back to me :)

Ogre lords will take you from 100 to 120 also although it may be a little slower but they have good loot and will give you great fame/karma, they hit hard as hell though so healing training wont be an issue.

As for a training wep you don't want to be killing the critters uber quick... more hits = more gains. I would say a katana with SSI, Hit mana Leech, Hit stamina Leech and if your suit is lacking a little HCI/DCI or hit lower attack.

As you progress you will want to replace this but as a training wep its pretty handy, AI and Double strike are the specials.

or if you need something to handle a crowd I would suggest a rad' scimiter it has whirlwind and is a fast wep... the blade weave special, while still pretty good can't really be used too effectivly IMO as its a random special... it does have its uses however.. a fient or Ai at the right time can come in handy but as I say there is no way to tell what special you will get

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget about the newer lands. Kappa, Tsuki wolves and Yomotsu Warriors on Homare fit nicely into some of the gaps in skill levels, are plentiful and slow enough to run away from if you're in trouble.
Kappa also drop peculiar seeds, one of which id's as sugar cane, which is likely to be in demand shortly unless I miss my guess.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I'd preffer:
40-50 New Heavens
50-70 Skeletons (it looks that passage between Covetus levels is better than Yew Graveyard but I haven't tried it myself).

70-100 ogres then earth elems... but you may also try slims (need SC weapon?) and Raptors. Raptor teeths and essences of singularity don't hurt. Atleast you can use SOAs non stop. Raptors are more dangerous but are always go in big packs - good for WW.

Jason

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks heaps for the replies guys -
You're correct of course - alot has changed.
(seems like a new game to be honest) - Good fun ahead im guessing ^^

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget about the newer lands. Kappa, Tsuki wolves and Yomotsu Warriors on Homare fit nicely into some of the gaps in skill levels, are plentiful and slow enough to run away from if you're in trouble.
Kappa also drop peculiar seeds, one of which id's as sugar cane, which is likely to be in demand shortly unless I miss my guess.
Yeah, thats my oldschool method kicking in, and to be honest i did forget tokuno! ty