• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is "Game play Window Size" really limited to 800x600 in classic client?

Valerin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oldtime player here, just starting back into it.

Chose classic client since it's the one I remember from back in the day. Loaded it up, and immediately saw the game play screen only covered 1/4 of my monitor. No problem I figured, I'll just change the display settings to make the game play screen larger. But apparently it's maxed at 800x600. There's so much black space... are there really no options to increase the size of the game play screen?

Is the enhanced client the only option (assuming that one has a larger game play screen...)

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
:D You can get a nice Netflix going in the blank space you can't use for UO. LOL But yea, I haven't been able to make it any bigger myself.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Try changing your graphics resolution under properties on desktop. This should help. I currently use 1366x768 and the game window probably covers close to two thirds of my screen

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well it's not an ideal solution but you can change your monitors resolution while playing, then switch it back.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just go with the EC. It will fill the screen area nicely even at 4K and it's usability is miles ahead of the CC.
Some people say that it is too ugly for their tastes, but hey, I look in the mirror every morning, so I have no quarrel with ugly. I have seen worse than what the EC shows. With the grid containers, you will also be able to find rings and the other small stuff in your backpack when running 1080p or 4K. Can't say the same for the CC.
Also, it runs like a well oiled machine at 60FPS, 1080p if your rig can do it.

Valerin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just go with the EC. It will fill the screen area nicely even at 4K and it's usability is miles ahead of the CC.
Some people say that it is too ugly for their tastes, but hey, I look in the mirror every morning, so I have no quarrel with ugly. I have seen worse than what the EC shows. With the grid containers, you will also be able to find rings and the other small stuff in your backpack when running 1080p or 4K. Can't say the same for the CC.
Also, it runs like a well oiled machine at 60FPS, 1080p if your rig can do it.
Kinda expected this would be the solution, which I probably will end up going with (but reluctantly.. I really like the nostalgic view of CC :/ )

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda expected this would be the solution, which I probably will end up going with (but reluctantly.. I really like the nostalgic view of CC :/ )
Leave the CC on your machine, many of us didn't like the EC to the point we sacrificed having it's nice bells & whistles and went back to the CC.

As a UI, the EC is usable, but I could never enjoy UO using it full time.

Valerin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Leave the CC on your machine, many of us didn't like the EC to the point we sacrificed having it's nice bells & whistles and went back to the CC.

As a UI, the EC is usable, but I could never enjoy UO using it full time.
Do you reduce the resolution of your monitor, or play with a tiny game window?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then change your resolution as others suggested.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you reduce the resolution of your monitor, or play with a tiny game window?
My laptop default screen is 1366x768 which works well for the CC, my tower widescreen display (default 1920x1080) I run at 1600x900 to keep the text a bit larger for my old eyes and gives a decent sized CC display.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you need any help with the EC just give a holler... I'm more than willing to help "defectors" with the EC.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems strange but I have mine running at 1920X1080 with almost 3/4 of the screen covered by the main play CC window. The trick, if it is one, and if it works for you is this: go into Control Panel then Display, set the type size to 150% or like mine I have set at 140% custom. Running Windows 7 64 bit. Hope it works for you, it keeps the native high resolution but somehow changes the size of the game window screen and hopefully it's not just for me.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you need any help with the EC just give a holler... I'm more than willing to help "defectors" with the EC.
:)

Jurassics meet Defectors, Defectors meet Jurassics. :grouphug:

Now we have a name to refer to the other side. :p

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Valerin EC is much more friendly to returning and new players. Not much benefit of the CC beyond that some people prefer it's graphics. Check out EC if you want better game screen size without having to jump through hoops of changing different settings on your computer or download 3rd party programs.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my screen using the method from the above post of mine. This is on a 24" monitor.

Avram for Stratics resizing play window in CC.jpg

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like the black area! I HATE having crap cluttering my game play window, it's very distracting. I love being able to have my spells wherever I want them rather then all lined up in a generic hot key bar. The EC is nice for some, so like some others have said, try both and see which one suits you better! :)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the black area! I HATE having crap cluttering my game play window, it's very distracting. I love being able to have my spells wherever I want them rather then all lined up in a generic hot key bar. The EC is nice for some, so like some others have said, try both and see which one suits you better! :)
Protip, you can have single icons in the EC ;)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Protip, you can have single icons in the EC ;)
Yeah...but it still makes me sea-sick....which is rather annoying because I really would like to be able to play in both clients...but whatever that issue is with the characters and the background not moving at the same time or...whatever! It really does give me a headache no matter what I try :(

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like having a decent sized "black area" for placing icons, my pack etc. But what I don't like is on a High Resolution Monitor not being able to see small items in my pack :-(

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like having a decent sized "black area" for placing icons, my pack etc. But what I don't like is on a High Resolution Monitor not being able to see small items in my pack :-(
Go in, adjust your monitor to something just above a x768 vertical resolution, and leave it there. Problem solved. The game window at 800x600 is decent sized.

My tower's widescreen monitor has been set to 1600x900 resolution instead of it's default 1920x1080 since I bought it. Other than a few notices early on that the monitor wasn't set for the recommended default resolution, it's worked fine. I just need to press ctrl+plus fewer times to make smaller than phone book sized text on websites larger and more readable than folks who stick to the default resolution do.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are three(that i know of) third party programs that will enlarge the screen. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about them now that this isn't an official site?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are three(that i know of) third party programs that will enlarge the screen. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about them now that this isn't an official site?
Be nice if we could talk of them. Ea should consider many players who refuse to downsize their monitor's resolution to something that accommodates the CC's official game window and don't like to use the EC may well have left the game over the CC's game window size. Allowing us to talk of and use such software could help them keep paying customers.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you set your resolution down to 1024x768 and use Alt-Enter you can get this.. but it pretty distorted

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this will ever be addressed. I'm sure the UO teams answer would just be "Use the EC".

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this will ever be addressed. I'm sure the UO teams answer would just be "Use the EC".
With most players using the CC because the EC, even with it's bells & whistles, wasn't something they were willing to keep using after trying it out, leaving the EC their only choice will make it very likely they leave the game. As fun as the game's content is, not having a UI you like using to reach it would be a showstopper for many of us.

How many have left the game because they didn't like the EC and the CC game window got to small because of modern display resolutions? The Dev's are endangering their jobs by falsely claiming the CC game window can't be enlarged when others have already proven it can be done.

They just need to admit their giving us a load of bull, and enlarge the CC game widow.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh without a doubt it could do with being larger. On today's modern monitors it's a total joke. It should of been done years ago.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
not to mention we are all getting older and eyesight steadily deteriorates starting around 40.
That's part of why I use the EC with Pinco's and scale my backpack and everything pretty large, use larger font sizes and such because I got tired of squinting all the time... then I finally broke down and went to get an eye exam and am now stuck in my first pair of bi-focals. Oh the Joys of aging.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There have been DEVs in the past PRE this DEV Team that have stated that there is no way to give a bigger picture using the current CC without doing a total rewrite of the code. I am sure that if you are using a program to make it larger then UO will probably not ban you for it. UO can not provide that program without the permission of the company that wrote it so don't go there. You can also adj your screen resolution for UO Recommended for my monitor is 1920-1080 and I am running 1600X900 with larger items set. Chrome lets you set Zoom real easy so I just adjusted that so I don't have to switch back. It is really easy to do and it is not that hard. UO does not need to do anything when people are able to do it themselves with no problem.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not to mention we are all getting older and eyesight steadily deteriorates starting around 40.
The third party programs will not do that they will just widen the area you can view. The way to do that is to lower the resolution on the computer this will expand the picture size. It would be nice if they had a zoom feature. Such as the zoom on web browsers (alt scroll.)