• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

is client.exe using 100% cpu for you?

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just installed XP on my system because my windows 7 trial expired and i dont feel like buying it..

before client.exe was using about 10 to 15% cpu, now its using 100% and slowing down my system..

is this a xp problem?

i reinstalled classic by re-downloading it from uo.com website.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As you can see by the picture I am using 0 CPU (also Running 2.8 Dual Core)
What is your processor & how much memory do you have...
If I can remember correctly on my old 3000 AMD (approx 2.4 single core) with same memory as this one, 4g, it used about 35 to 45% of the processor

There has to be something running in the background, Norton AV, a SVCHOST, Update or something. Hit your Alt Ctrl Del & get the process task mgr up & see what else is in there running on ya.

B

Beer_Cayse

Before I went to a new system, the old one would hit 100% at login time up until I chose a character and got ingame. Then it would stabilze around 30-45% (at worst) and hold there.

Have you defragged your drive lately? If the CPU and disk are spending a lot of time grabbing bits of the program from all over the drive that can also raise CPU usage ... and affect performance.

O

Old Man of UO

Using Windows Vista x64, AMD Quadcore, the EC client uses 5%-20% while idle, and 25%-35% while running through a high density area. It's known that Vista and Windows 7 improved on memory handling over any version of XP.

But like Beer Cayse says, defragging can make a world of difference. I would also suggest finding a good freeware defragger that also optimizes your files rather than just combining fragmented files.

B

Beer_Cayse

XP/SP3 on AMD Dual-Core with 4GB ram and 512MB vidcard runs about the same as you. I rarely see ram usage top 30% now ... used to get 90+ before.