• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Avatar and his Uocodes an official website at this point?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They should have deleted all the gold when they pooled it all into being non-physical for the most part.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should have deleted all the gold when they pooled it all into being non-physical for the most part.
i been saying that for awhile now, only way they goin to be able to even attempt to fix the economy is wipe all the gold and make every one start over again at 0 make the playing field even for everyone, biggest problem with new players is if they have any chance of competing with others is they have to buy gold from the gold sellers, it would pretty much eliminate that, you will still have the lazy player who bank sits and prefer to pay cash for the gold, but at least it would give new players a fighting chance.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i been saying that for awhile now, only way they goin to be able to even attempt to fix the economy is wipe all the gold and make every one start over again at 0 make the playing field even for everyone, biggest problem with new players is if they have any chance of competing with others is they have to buy gold from the gold sellers, it would pretty much eliminate that, you will still have the lazy player who bank sits and prefer to pay cash for the gold, but at least it would give new players a fighting chance.
What if they deleted ALL the gold/plats and started everyone with 1 Platinum? Wouldn't that be fair? Putting everyone on the same level!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if they deleted ALL the gold/plats and started everyone with 1 Platinum? Wouldn't that be fair? Putting everyone on the same level!
I guess you all want to shut down UO, No I do not have 1P and I earned all my gold honestly and now you want to punish all the honest players. There are very rich HONEST players and there are very rich dishonest players and then you have the rest honest players so for the minority you want to punish the majority just like UO did with Mining and lumberjack, how stupid.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess you all want to shut down UO, No I do not have 1P and I earned all my gold honestly and now you want to punish all the honest players. There are very rich HONEST players and there are very rich dishonest players and then you have the rest honest players so for the minority you want to punish the majority just like UO did with Mining and lumberjack, how stupid.
Honest or not, to me the bigger priority would be a healthy economy.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That doesn't sound fair, that sounds like communism.

This plan also has too many major holes; if everyone gets 1P then I'd setup 10 accounts to get 10P (which is more than I currently have in game) and once I received those plats; I'd shut those accounts down. Idk what the going rate for a plat is but that would be $13 per plat to UO. The problem they tried to solve for would have taken 1 step back and 5 steps forward... meanwhile they'd probably lose long term subscriptions doing all of that from honest people who have worked for their gold.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They removed 15 trillion in gold back in 2006. Now that´s almost 20 years ago(!).
If there has been new dupes since then that has gone unchecked, just imagine what might be out there. It´s not like the current team is known for cracking down on the cheaters so if anyone has an exploit and stays under the radar then yeah.

But then again, we don´t know what happens behind the scenes. Perhaps they removed 15 trillion last week as well...

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
The application would not, but the website that is used to create accounts (Even EJ) is not old.

Also, the whole "it's old" is a tired excuse. Why do you all give a pass to this game? It's weird and Stockholm Syndrome-esque. You're paying for this game. They should treat you like a premium customer. Have you seen what is being done for people for free versus what's being done for you for a premium?
As a developer I can confirm it's not any big issue at all to add 2FA to accounts. The game login could stay the same, but it would at least force people add a unique phone number per account.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a developer I can confirm it's not any big issue at all to add 2FA to accounts. The game login could stay the same, but it would at least force people add a unique phone number per account.
You truly believe anyone with multiple accounts will actually get new phone numbers for each account? I have 1 phone number and 6 accounts. I'm all for 2FA but not the way you propose it to be.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You truly believe anyone with multiple accounts will actually get new phone numbers for each account? I have 1 phone number and 6 accounts. I'm all for 2FA but not the way you propose it to be.

That's the idea. You would use your one phone number for all your accounts because you're not doing anything illicit, hopefully.

The ones that are doing things illicitly would risk having multiple accounts with the same phone number or will have another hurdle to go over.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They removed 15 trillion in gold back in 2006. Now that´s almost 20 years ago(!).
If there has been new dupes since then that has gone unchecked, just imagine what might be out there. It´s not like the current team is known for cracking down on the cheaters so if anyone has an exploit and stays under the radar then yeah.

But then again, we don´t know what happens behind the scenes. Perhaps they removed 15 trillion last week as well...
IMHO that 15 Trillion was BS that would be 15 Million 1mil checks. At that time we had 5 chars per shard with 250 items each and the houses they torched were small to medium, the math just don't add up to how many houses/accounts that would be need to hold 15 million checks.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That doesn't sound fair, that sounds like communism.

This plan also has too many major holes; if everyone gets 1P then I'd setup 10 accounts to get 10P (which is more than I currently have in game) and once I received those plats; I'd shut those accounts down. Idk what the going rate for a plat is but that would be $13 per plat to UO. The problem they tried to solve for would have taken 1 step back and 5 steps forward... meanwhile they'd probably lose long term subscriptions doing all of that from honest people who have worked for their gold.
Quit using logic it hurts their brain.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
IMHO that 15 Trillion was BS that would be 15 Million 1mil checks. At that time we had 5 chars per shard with 250 items each and the houses they torched were small to medium, the math just don't add up to how many houses/accounts that would be need to hold 15 million checks.
Trial accounts...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trial accounts...
Those were only good for 2 weeks. and each shard could only hold a little less than 1.240 checks so that would be 25 shards, 125 chars per account, 155,000 checks per account so you are looking at 1000 accounts to hold it all. I think they BSed about the amount to make themselves look good

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
A mandatory 2FA process for registrations would not help at all - it would only be a nuisance for the true and honest players at best. Since chat spammers are using "throw-away" accounts, they would simply register new accounts over online sms reception services - there are plenty of sites offering millions of free and anonymous phone numbers to receive the challenge code and finalize a pending activation. I personally used these sites many times to circumvent giving out a private cell phone number to what I consider being an untrustworthy party - and EA is certainly one of them.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A mandatory 2FA process for registrations would not help at all - it would only be a nuisance for the true and honest players at best. Since chat spammers are using "throw-away" accounts, they would simply register new accounts over online sms reception services - there are plenty of sites offering millions of free and anonymous phone numbers to receive the challenge code and finalize a pending activation. I personally used these sites many times to circumvent giving out a private cell phone number to what I consider being an untrustworthy party - and EA is certainly one of them.
This is the stuff that just shows people lack know how and knowledge.

I don't claim it's an impossible or even hard hurdle. It's just another hurdle.

You can get many websites that will set up a temporary number to receive SMS texts on, but if you notice my recommendation... it's an MMS.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also, there's all kinds of creative things you can do with it. You now have more relational data.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the stuff that just shows people lack know how and knowledge.

I don't claim it's an impossible or even hard hurdle. It's just another hurdle.

You can get many websites that will set up a temporary number to receive SMS texts on, but if you notice my recommendation... it's an MMS.
Do you honestly think you are going to get UO to do this and as EA controls the accounts page now you have to talk EA into doing this to a game system they could care less about that is why BS is taking care of their MMOs. I am surprised they made EJs help chan only and put in the one EJ per ISP. The more barriers you propose the more you punish honest players. If I wanted 2FA then I would us the current system EA has already so please stop with the BS that this will not hurt honest players. You are accusing everybody of being stupid, what we have is common sense something you totally lack.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vendors. You aren't taking into consideration Vendors. I don't know how much gold vendors can hold on them, but it must have been a lot.

Because there were a ton of "Owned by OSI" houses back in the day. Remember, before the "fix" the house didn't idoc until the vendors ran out of gold.

That's the reason we ended up with stuck "Own by OSI" house that NEVER IDOCed.